appetizers gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Cajun Cauliflower Poppers

February 1, 2015

I’m probably supposed to be reminiscing on all of my football and sports memories in honour of Superbowl Sunday, but considering I have approximately 0 of them, you’ll be getting various other musings instead. Should you feel so inclined, you can make these Cajun Cauliflower Poppers and serve them during the game. Perhaps they will make up for my lack of football enthusiasm.

Cajun Cauliflower Poppers - a lightened-up appetizer recipe with tons of flavour. Just roast up and serve.Weirdly, I have had many monumental events occur on Superbowl Sunday. The most recent major one was moving in with C last year. While it wasn’t our first time living together, it was our first permanent home. And after 2.5 years of long distance (read more about us here and here) it was due time.

While it’s amazing being able to share a home together, there are so many things I’ve remembered and discovered about living with a boy. The most significant one being that I went from cooking for one to basically cooking for 12. Apparently boys eat A LOT. RIP to the days of actually having leftovers for lunch the next day…

Cajun Cauliflower Poppers - a lightened-up appetizer recipe with tons of flavour. Just roast up and serve.Now normally this wouldn’t be a huge issue, but because it’s in my Jewish genetic code to live in fear that there won’t be enough food, I find myself panicking almost daily that C will be left hungry. This results in either a) asking C at least 5 times if he got enough to eat b) way overestimating how much food to make and c) buying loaves of bread to feed him in case my measurements are off.

I’ll admit that at first I complained…a lot. “You eat more than anyone I know” (not true, his Dad actually deserves that honor), “feeding you is like feeding the duggar family”, “do you even have a stomach?!”. But eventually I learned to adapt, just like C adapted to living with me.

Cajun Cauliflower Poppers - a lightened-up appetizer recipe with tons of flavour. Just roast up and serve.While I’m not so certain he’s totally thrilled about the things that come with living with a girl i.e. hair EVERYWHERE, zero closet space and hormones…so many hormones, living together has actually been quite seamless. By this I mean I take care of the cooking and he pretty much does everything else. Equitable shmequitable.

So when I say that these Cajun Cauliflower Poppers serve 4, I really mean 2. But hey, I’m not complaining if I can get the boy to eat 3 servings of cauliflower without me even asking…

Cajun Cauliflower Poppers

PREP TIME 10 mins
Serves 4     adjust servings

• 1 head of cauliflower, leaves removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 T olive oil
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 2 tsp dried parsley
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Place chopped cauliflower in a large bowl and sprinkle with olive oil until all pieces are coated.
  3. In a separate bowl combine all spices.
  4. Pour spices on top of cauliflower and mix until pieces are well coated.
  5. Place cauliflower on a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 mins.
  6. Remove from oven and flip and bake for another 15 mins.
  7. Place cauliflower on a plate and put a toothpick into each piece. Serve with dipping sauce of choice (I like honey mustard) OR serve as a side dish.

Cajun Cauliflower Poppers - a lightened-up appetizer recipe with tons of flavour. Just roast up and serve.If we lived together, what would I learn about you? Do you think that boys eat a lot…just my boy?

Laur
    February 1, 2015 at 9:14 am

Just take his appetite as a compliment. Obviously, your food is DEEEE-lish!

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    February 1, 2015 at 10:33 am

The boys ar CrossFit order 2-3 course per person in a restaurant on a reguilar basis (appetizer AND main course) – totally normal. We always need an additional table for all the plates. I fear that one day a waiter faints and plants his face in our food. They are always so shocked.
    These cauliflower poppers look so cute and I love that they are a little burnt. Best ever.
    You would learn that I sometimes walk from room to room without having a clue what I just wanted to do/find/arrange there.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Why I talk about my past

Sofia // From the Land we Live on
    February 1, 2015 at 11:43 am

Haha! Same boat. I enforce quality and he enforces quantity, especially when it comes to meat. Our grocery bill sucks! Looks like we’re both kickin’ it with the cauliflower for the superbowl – I did a whole nacho-like thing 🙂 Great recipe! Love the spice mix.
    Sofia // From the Land we Live on recently posted…Crispy Cauliflower Nachos

February 1, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Hahaha this is so true. I don’t even live with JZ yet but I already know that we are going to need to have a huge grocery budget when we do live together. I mean, I thought that I eat a lot, but JZ can easily put away 2-3x as much as me. This is why I want to be an RD for a grocery store – so I can get food discounts lol!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Month in Review: January 2015

February 1, 2015 at 6:30 pm

These look good – plus talk about guilt free snacking!!!
    Kim recently posted…Digging Deep for Motivation (1/25 – 1/31)

Luv What You Do
    February 1, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Tell me about it…the BOY always steels my leftovers. I know serve dinner and pack up the next day’s lunch at the same time to at least have one day of food : ) Living with guys is all about patience! These look amazing! I am getting into cauliflower…I hate it raw but enjoy it roasted so I think this would be a great gateway into becoming a cauliflower eater!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…A Bit of Blah, Yoga, & Snow

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    February 1, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Too funny! The biggest thing I have learned is women usually need more variety. Men needs more food but can eat the same foods all the time!

Christina @ The Beautiful Balance
    February 1, 2015 at 7:07 pm

My boyfriend jokes that I cook for an army when there’s only two of us. One week I told him I was only going to make enough for 4 portions so we had leftovers at least once. He complained there wasn’t enough food so I went back to cooking for an army haha! I love all things cajun so these cauliflower poppers are my new favorite addicting snack!
    Christina @ The Beautiful Balance recently posted…Link Love From The Week 02.01.15

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables
    February 1, 2015 at 9:38 pm

My friend made cauliflower “wings” for the game and that were AWESOME! Now I’m inspired to try more cauliflower dishes 😉 it’s so versatile!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…Farro Risotto with Kale and Pine Nuts

February 2, 2015 at 1:28 am

You’re bringing back all these memories.

Legit the second line you said to C when he came from work was ‘did you eat my chicken and cauliflower? That was supposed to be my lunch. I had to have a grilled cheese!’

you totally ate all of this yourself then nursed a fiber baby.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Banana Smoothie Breakfast Bites

February 2, 2015 at 8:38 am

hahahahahah I will never forgive him for that. Remind me to tell you about the time I lost it on him over the banana. He got in a lot of trouble…

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    February 2, 2015 at 7:32 am

Made these little yums for the Super Bowl and dipped them in honey mustard just like you recommended! It expired in 2013…may have been a little inappropriate to still eat it…either way, super delish!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Crockpot Mushroom, Barley, & Lentil Soup

February 2, 2015 at 8:36 am

LOVE YOU! So happy you liked them 🙂 Expired or not! xoxo

Lori @ TheHealthMinded.com
    February 2, 2015 at 6:40 pm

So darling! I’d eat these Superbowl or not! Besides, I go to all those Superbowl parties for the food and friends anyway!
    Lori @ TheHealthMinded.com recently posted…Health Plans/February: How To Design Your Home To Improve Your Outlook, Your Health

February 2, 2015 at 9:11 pm

The things I would do for cauliflower…..better left unsaid actually. Or perhaps you could just use your imagination.

If you lived with me, you’d find all the towels in the linen closet arranged just so., with perfect precision. Also, all the beer in the fridge must be grouped by brand and then flavor and forward facing. Clearly, I have no issues.

Allene
    May 29, 2015 at 9:19 am

They look so delicious! I have never seen or eaten cauliflower poppers but I really want to change that now! Thanks for sharing!

Lucy
    September 17, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Your Cajun Cauliflower was great. Served as a side dish with pork. Added 1tsp instead of 1/8 tsp because my husband is “cajun crazy.” This would be good seasoning for steaks and burgers too, I think.