breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola summer vegan

The Best Ever Bircher Muesli + A Video!

August 2, 2015

Made with nuts, dried and fresh fruit, almond milk and rolled oats, you will quickly discover why this is the best ever bircher muesli! Just whip up the night before, place in the refrigerator and you have breakfast waiting for you in the morning. This is the easiest and most delicious breakfast you’ve never heard of!

Made with nuts, dried and fresh fruit, almond milk and rolled oats, you will quickly discover why this is the best ever bircher muesli! Just whip up the night before, place in the refrigerator and you have breakfast waiting for you in the morning. This is the easiest and most delicious breakfast you've never heard of!This recipe has been a long time coming. It’s probably one of my favourite breakfasts EVER, but unless you purchased my healthy breakfast ecookbook, you’ve likely never heard me talk about it.

To be honest, I was a bit self-conscious about sharing it because I thought you guys wouldn’t read a post/recipe for something you’ve probably never heard of.

But kind of like my newfound YouTube stardom, I decided to throw caution to the wind and JUST DO IT.

And man am I glad that I did.

Join me as I make this recipe with you! Full video instructions here:

Even though I’ve come decades in tackling my self-doubt, it’s still something I do and probably will forever struggle with. I’ve found that the best way to deal with it is to just say “f*ck it!” and do it anyway. I know that this is completely unhelpful advice, but that’s been my most effective strategy thus far.

That is precisely how today’s post came about. It’s so easy as a blogger to get trapped in the cycle of only creating recipes you know will “go viral”. I’ve actually talked about this before and it’s the main reason why it’s taken me over 2 years to post this recipe.

I know that 90% of you have no idea what Bircher Muesli is. For the record, it’s kind of a fusion between overnight oatmeal and cereal…or just watch the video. The fact that it isn’t a common recipe or something that people are often searching for meant that I didn’t think it was worth sharing.

Made with nuts, dried and fresh fruit, almond milk and rolled oats, you will quickly discover why this is the best ever bircher muesli! Just whip up the night before, place in the refrigerator and you have breakfast waiting for you in the morning. This is the easiest and most delicious breakfast you've never heard of!At the same time, I’ve eaten this recipe for breakfast pretty much every single day for the last month or so. It’s so easy, delicious and healthy that I almost feel bad I’ve kept it from you.

Same goes for YouTube. It’s something I’ve been wanting to tap into for a long time. I want to connect with all of you more personally, and for as much as the pretty pictures make you salivate, I think seeing step-by-step how to make a recipe can ease your worries when it actually comes to tackling the kitchen.

At the end of the day, I have no idea how many of your lives I affect. Maybe none of you care about bircher muesli, or seeing my awkward face on video. But if I could make one person’s breakfast a little bit easier (or more entertaining…), then I’ve done my job.

Made with nuts, dried and fresh fruit, almond milk and rolled oats, you will quickly discover why this is the best ever bircher muesli! Just whip up the night before, place in the refrigerator and you have breakfast waiting for you in the morning. This is the easiest and most delicious breakfast you've never heard of!This is what I’ve been keeping in mind as I begin to explore the great big world of video. It’s not about how many people are watching them, but how much value I can bring to whoever is watching.

I was chatting with Nikky about this last weekend; how starting something from scratch, like a YouTube channel is incredibly humbling. I’m reminded that not everything I create will be seen by thousands of people, in the same way that it used to be when I started this little space of mine. The whole goal was to help inspire people to lead a healthier, more balanced lifestyle.

So in those moments of self-doubt I remind myself why I show up everyday and then say “f*ck it!”. Because in the end, what do I have to lose?

(I considered my dignity, but then I remember I lost that years ago…)

The Best Ever Bircher Muesli

PREP TIME 5 mins
Serves 1     adjust servings

• 1/2 cup rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
  • 1 tsp chia seeds
  • 4-5 dried, unsulfured apricots, chopped (or about 2 tablespoons of your favorite dried fruit)
  • 2 T toasted hazelnuts, chopped (or your favorite nut or seed)
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (or fruit of choice)
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk + 1/4 cup for the next morning, if desired
  • 1 tsp manuka honey (or regular honey or maple syrup)

1. Combine all ingredients in a mason jar or sealable container.
  2. Shake it up and place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.
  3. In the morning add additional almond milk to give it more of a cereal consistency or eat as is.
  4. For more details on how to make this recipe check out THIS VIDEO.

Notes

*I like to make a couple jars at once so I have breakfast for a few days!

Made with nuts, dried and fresh fruit, almond milk and rolled oats, you will quickly discover why this is the best ever bircher muesli! Just whip up the night before, place in the refrigerator and you have breakfast waiting for you in the morning. This is the easiest and most delicious breakfast you've never heard of!Do you struggle with self-doubt? Ever heard of bircher muesli? Have I convinced you? WATCH THE VIDEO!

Samantha Attard
    August 2, 2015 at 8:31 am

Davida!!

Your video is awesome – I am so impressed!! Go you for taking the plunge, and look forward to more video recipes in the future!

Sam
    Samantha Attard recently posted…Gratitude is boring: revive your lifeless practice today

August 2, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Aw thank you so much, hun! Your support is much appreciated! xoxo

June @ How to Philosophize with Cake
    August 2, 2015 at 8:41 am

I can see why this might be the best ever! I’d love a bowl of this to start out my day 🙂
    June @ How to Philosophize with Cake recently posted…Vegan ginger peach galette with almond crust

August 2, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Try it out and let me know your thoughts! I have a feeling you’ll quickly be convinced 😉

carol
      June 16, 2017 at 5:25 am

This recioe and variants of it has been around for years. We first had it innthe 1970s, and I know lots of oeople who make it. My favourite is with grated apple.

Jocelyne
    August 2, 2015 at 9:57 am

Wooow your video is so damn professional! Well done! I really love how you explain everything. And I really love how you spell Bircher Muesli. This is not to offend you, but I love that your “ch” sounds like “J” like Jason. Here in Switzerland (or in every German speaking part) we pronounce it like the spanish J for Javier =) It sounds really funny for non-german speaking people =)

And yes! I love bircher muesli!

Greetings from Switzerland
    Jocey

August 2, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Haha I obviously didn’t even notice my own accent 😉 My one year of German class clearly was of no use to me haha. Thanks so much for the love Jocey! Your support has always been amazing!

Jocelyne
        August 3, 2015 at 9:45 am

Aww, thank you. I really love stalking you and Lee! I’ve just started with my own food blog, but because it will be in German (my English skills are too unprofessional…) I think I cannot turn you into my readers. 🙁 A few years ago, one person turned me down in saying, my English is hard to follow and since then, I’m a little bit ashamed of it…

But keep going. Really looking forward to your next video. 🙂 🙂

August 5, 2015 at 7:01 am

Just keep going, lady! Practice gets you pretty darn close to perfect! Don’t give up. Plus I think your English is great! xoxo

• Jocelyne
            August 5, 2015 at 9:39 am

I just decided to start my blog in English. It is called “Basil and Parsley” and I am so excited starting it. I have so many ideas, but now I have to cook something to showcase it haha. So no excuses!

Thank you, I want to practice everyday so everyone can understand me well 🙂

Big hugs from sunny Switzerland
            Jocelyne

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    August 2, 2015 at 10:08 am

So when you said we’ve probs never heard of this before, I was confused cuz I know I had before. But it was in the cookbook haha. Also, teach me your video ways
    p.s. I wish I woke up that calmly. Almost fell off the bed reaching for my glasses this morning. #classy
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…5 tips for finding a great workout buddy

August 2, 2015 at 12:32 pm

It only took like 10 tries for it to look like that. If only I woke up that calmly too lol xoxo

August 2, 2015 at 2:00 pm

This is such a beautiful and delicious recipe! 😀 I love muesli!!
    Cassie recently posted…Wild Foods Vanilla Bean Powder Review + Cake Batter Crumble Oatmeal Recipe

Sarah Pie
    August 3, 2015 at 8:40 am

I love a good make ahead breakfast and this looks delicious! Also your video is amazing and I am totally jealous of your editing skills 🙂
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Slices of Life-August 2015

Amy @ UpearlywithAmy
    August 3, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Wow! I’m very impressed with the video. I’ve made videos for work and I know all the work that goes into even the smallest details. The recipe looks delicious as well…def made my breakfast more entertaining 🙂

August 5, 2015 at 7:00 am

Aw thank you! You’re so sweet. Lots of work but so much fun to create!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    August 3, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Yay for your video!! Look at you go, girl! You’re an inspiration so don’t you stop! 😉 And that bircher muesli? I’m down with that. 🙂
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Nut-Free Chocolate Energy Balls [Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free]

Dani @ DaniCaliforniaCooks
    August 3, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I love bircher muesli! Something about all of the textures…
    Dani @ DaniCaliforniaCooks recently posted…Nectarine Tart + Happy Birthday Nate!

Miss Polkadot
    August 3, 2015 at 8:22 pm

That video is SO awesome. You’re a natural there and – unlike other food video bloggers – really enjoyable to listen to. I’ve known Bircher Müsli for ages and it would have to be one of my favourite breakfasts after oatmeal. Howeverrrr …. yours isn’t the classic. It’s missing key ingredients like grated apple (!) and yogurt 🙂 . Just call me traditional. That being said, your version still sounds good. Mmmh, blueberries …
    Miss Polkadot recently posted…Good good links #101

August 5, 2015 at 7:02 am

I knowwww! the original I tried had both but currently avoiding dairy (wahhhh skin issues :() and blueberries are in season rather than apples but both would work great too. Hope you’re doing well, lovely! xoxo

August 4, 2015 at 5:51 pm

You have a knack for these videos. Seriously you’re a natural. I’m super impressed. Also totally digging the muesli.

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    August 5, 2015 at 12:59 am

I have to confess I’ve never had museli before, but I am convinced I need some stat. I love uncooked oatmeal and this is right up my alley! Also, I am LOVING your videos – they’re really fun to watch!
    Les @ The Balanced Berry recently posted…Plantain Crusted Chicken with Avocado Cream

August 5, 2015 at 6:58 am

Aw thank you, hun! If I could make your day a bit more entertaining than I’ve done my job well 😉

Kristina
    August 11, 2015 at 10:04 am

Hey, I have been a fan of Bircher muesli for quite a while and even though I really like it, it can get a bit boring sometimes. Your twist on it is definitely going to make it into my morning routine! I made it yesterday and added a litle cinnamon in it as well and it was amazing.

Thanks!

August 11, 2015 at 7:39 pm

So happy to hear you enjoyed it! Cinnamon is the perfect addition!

Jassica
    March 13, 2016 at 1:15 pm

Hi there! Just want to say i Am so appreciative of you going with it anyway and posting this recipe up! Well done! And also your YouTube video! Keep it up!! Xx

March 13, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Thank you so much, Jassica! I really appreciate the support 🙂

Jen
    November 30, 2016 at 9:21 pm

Trying to be healthy. Had a ton of ice cream tonight. Starting tomorrow fresh with your muesli recipe. I admire your commitment to health. Not sure how people find balance.
    Thanks