Live

Beyond The Food #7 + That Time We Got a Dog…Kind Of

October 23, 2015

The last time I wrote one of these was September 6. I feel like a years worth of stuff has happened between then and now and I’m realizing that I either a) need to write these more often or b) need to slow down.

My guess is that the former is likelier to happen than me slowing down.

Last I left you I was heading to Boston for a wedding and had two trips to California planned. Check, check, check. Since I already recapped Yosemite in this post (and video!), we’ll be skipping that, but I still have an excessive amount of pictures coming your way.

Let’s start where we left off…

A visit to Boston for A + A’s wedding and unintentionally color coordinating with my besties. The best part of wedding season is getting to see these beautiful ladies!

IMG_0004

After our trip to Yosemite we spent a few days in SF for Eight & Change. One day we went sailing on the bay and it was actually perfection. I’ve never seen SF that clear!

sailingDon’t ask why we flew home between two trips to California, but we did. After a week in Toronto we headed back out West to San Diego. C was working so I spent the first couple of days working on Energy Ball Week from various coffee shops. I LOVED San Diego. The weather was glorious, the people are awesome and the food is on point. Here’s a few snapshots from the trip…

San-Diego-1San-Diego-2San-Diego-3San-Diego-4We packed a lot into 5 days. Here were the highlights:

Meshuggah Shack– hilarious little coffee shop stand in Mission Hills, which we visited every morning. Amazing coffee!
Lucha Libre Taco Shop – holy crap these tacos were good. Demolished about 7 of them after surfing.
Java Earth – Cute little coffee shop near mission beach with great, healthy food too.
Mission Beach – we loved walking around and surfing at mission beach. It’s busy but it’s beautiful and there’s lots of parking within walking distance of the beach.
Sofia Hotel – We stayed here on our last night after booking a room through Hotel Tonight and were thrilled with our stay. It’s in the middle of the Gaslamp District, which is cool and hip. FYI if you’re looking for a last minute hotel room (anywhere in the world!) I highly recommend Hotel Tonight! The app is awesome and user-friendly. Also you can get $25 towards your next stay if you sign-up using the promo-code “DKugelmass” (and yes I get a kickback too :P)

After getting back from San Diego, we prepped for a week of visitors, including C’s parents who were in town from Minneapolis. We visited Kingston, Ontario for a day and spent another day exploring the Toronto Islands since they hadn’t been. We got gorgeous weather and I LOVED having them in town. The perfect Canadian Thanksgiving (yes…it’s a thing).

IMG_6468Kingston-2Island-2Islands-1Then last weekend C and I decided to “nest” at home before his crazy work travel schedule kicks-off. We went to the Brickworks Farmer’s Market and then explored the Don Valley trails and surrounding areas. It made me really appreciate fall in Toronto. Then I spent the rest of the weekend cooking up a storm from the loot I picked up!

Brickworks-1brickworks2walkSo the elephant (or dog) in the room is that clearly there’s a dog in most of our pictures. I’d like to formally introduce you to Mr. Rhett Butler. He’s a wheaten terrier and literally the light of my life.

Rhett-ButlerRhett has made appearances on THM before since he’s actually my best friend’s dog. Sabs is finishing up her last year of med school in Ireland and we are watching him for the year. Needless to say, expect to continue being photo-bombed by his adorable face all over Instagram and Snapchat (SC: TheHealthyMaven).

I can’t handle his cuteness!

Rhett-2Sorry for the length of this post! Clearly lots has been going on. I’m actually in Montreal right now for the Food Bloggers of Canada Conference. I’ll be speaking on Sunday about transitioning your hobby blog into a business and I’m really looking forward to speaking and meeting everyone at the conference! Stay tuned on Instagram and Snapchat for full play-by-plays of the weekend.

What’s happening in your neck of the woods? Update me!

DON'T WANT TO MISS A LIFE UPDATE? Join the THM Community!

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    October 23, 2015 at 10:26 am

So happy to finally be introduced to this cutie! 😀 I’ve seen him on some photos but didn’t know what was the deal (fostering him or yours for good). He is so adorable, you just want to cuddle him and rub his ears and belly 🙂

Seems you had a terrific few past weeks and good luck for the speech, I’d so love to hear it!
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Multicoloured Scrambled Eggs Skillet with Vegetables

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    October 23, 2015 at 10:41 am

Love the update – so many fun photos!

A couple things – Rhett is SO cute! That red dress you wore to the wedding is FABULOUS. I’m envious of the gorgeous orange leaves decking out your Canadian trees.

AND – next time to come to Cali, hit me up!!! San Diego isn’t TOO far 🙂
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…Savory + Sweet Potato Hummus

Lexi @ Lexi's Clean Kitchen
    October 23, 2015 at 10:59 am

LOVE.

Georgie
    October 23, 2015 at 11:00 am

Love you and your friends dresses! So bummed I was out of town when you were in Boston.
    All your photos capture the magnificence that is fall! Love hearing about your adventures.
    Georgie recently posted…The Real Reason You Need to Embrace the Word “No”

October 23, 2015 at 11:26 am

I know!!! I’m so sad I missed you too! Guess I’ll just have to go back to Boston 😉

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    October 23, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Love thissss. My family joined up with “our Canadians” at the Pinery in Grand Bend for Thanksgiving. Super jealous I couldn’t go! Fall in Toronto looks gorgeous. And I need a Rhett in my life. What the heck are you going to do when he has to leave you?! Clone him. Clone him x2 so I can have one as well. 🙂 Hope you have a great weekend!

October 23, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Literally all I think about. Spent last night browsing for Wheaten Terrier puppies. Basically by the end of the year I should have at least 7 of them. Lord help me.

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    October 23, 2015 at 6:35 pm

The last pic of C and pup is too precious!

October 24, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Rhett is ADORABLE! I spent the whole time while I was reading this post poking John and whining that I want a dog haha!

Sounds like you’ve been busy lady! And your travels sound awesome, although sometimes just exploring home can be just as great. I wish I could find the time to make it out to Brickworks – I love it there!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Honey Almond Coconut Granola

Cat
    October 24, 2015 at 8:03 pm

That dog is ADORABLE!!!! Can’t wait to hear about your Conference in Montreal!!! All the best!! 🙂

Alexandra
    October 26, 2015 at 7:16 pm

LOVE that name. My boyfriend’s family dog is also named Rhett Butler!! He’s an Aussie Shepherd and gets all the ladies 🙂

October 26, 2015 at 9:00 pm

OMG!!! Such a coincidence! Not surprising…I mean they are both Southern Gentlemen 😉 Also I LOVE Aussie Shepherds!

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    October 27, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I feel like I need a full recap of FBC from you… in person/via Skype. Soak up fall because it’s always late spring/early summer in Northern California 😉
    Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together recently posted…If You Can’t Eat ‘Em, Drink ‘Em with Naked Juice

October 28, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Taking it all in! I think I’m willing to give it up if it also means no more winter! Yes to Skyping soon. So much to talk about!