breakfast Fall gluten-free oatmeal/granola vegan

DIY HOLIDAY IN A JAR: Almond Cranberry Granola

November 16, 2015

A simple and delicious recipe for Almond Cranberry Granola that will make you wonder why you’ve never tried this combination before! Make a big batch for yourself or store away in jars as a gift for the holidays!

A simple and delicious recipe for Almond Cranberry Granola that will make you wonder why you've never tried this combination before! Make a big batch for yourself or store away in jars as a gift for the holidays!I’m sitting here in the Toronto airport waiting for my flight to surprise none-other than the lady, the myth, the legend, Ms. Fit Foodie Lee.

Actually, technically I should be ON the flight, but the universe had other ideas for me. Namely, half the customs machines went down and I waited in the customs line for 1.5 hours only to miss my flight.

Have you ever watched your flight take off knowing you should be on it? It’s not a fun feeling.

Fortunately, I am scheduled to catch the next one and if all else goes to plan then I should get in in time to surprise Lee at Fit Foodie’s birthday party. Let’s hope by the time this goes live that this plan actually followed-through.

A simple and delicious recipe for Almond Cranberry Granola that will make you wonder why you've never tried this combination before! Make a big batch for yourself or store away in jars as a gift for the holidays!In my minor freakout at the airport I met the most well-dressed guru. He literally calmed me down from losing it on the customs lady and graciously walked me through the entire line and eventually through security, all the way believing I would catch the flight. There was no way in hell that I was catching the flight, but I appreciated his optimism and kindness.

If I had gotten his name I would send him a gigantic jar of this Almond Cranberry Granola.

I’m also blown away by the kindness of mine and Lee’s friends. I immediately texted Sab who told me that at least this will make for a good blog post (she knows me well) and Nikky who fully supported me in my mission to get a bloody mary in my face…what we like to call “the red smoothie”. Good people.

Then there’s Linley and Brooke. If you’re an avid Fit Foodie reader than you know they fill out the trifecta that is Team Fit Foodie Finds. Lin masterminded this entire plan to surprise Lee and Brooke has been the ultimate in going with the flow and making sure I was well taken care of from the second I got off the plane in Minn. Also really really good people.

A simple and delicious recipe for Almond Cranberry Granola that will make you wonder why you've never tried this combination before! Make a big batch for yourself or store away in jars as a gift for the holidays!It’s all too often that we forget the importance of telling these good people how much we appreciate them. I am so incredibly lucky to have the amazing people in my life that I do. I’m biased but when they say that you are the average of your 5 closest friends, I’m pretty sure that makes me seriously badass.

I have friends who live around the world. From SF to NYC, to Montreal to Boston and those very special people reppin’ it in Dublin. And while I wish I could tell them every single day how grateful I am for them, it isn’t realistic or feasible. So instead I give gifts. Sometimes it’s my presence (Lee you better love me for flying to Minn to surprise you. Kidding!) and sometimes it’s a DIY in a Jar.

Big or small, close or distant, don’t forget to tell your friends you love and value them. And when all else fails, send them some of this granola 😉

Almond Cranberry Granola

1. Make flax egg, if using and set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. In a large bowl combine oats, almonds, cinnamon and sea salt.
  4. Top with coconut oil, pumpkin, maple syrup, extract, orange zest and combine.
  5. Stir in flax egg if using.
  6. Spread granola onto a parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet.
  7. Bake for 20 minutes.
  8. Flip and make for another 15-20 minutes or until granola is slightly browned and crispy.
  9. Let cool for at least one hour before topping with dried cranberries and storing in jars.

Notes

*I recommend adding the flax egg (or one whipped egg white) to help the granola bind and make clusters.

Don’t forget to head over to Fit Foodie Finds to see her latest post for DIY Holidays in a Jar. She made delicious Cherry Pistachio Energy Balls in a your favorite mason jar!

cherry-pie-energy-balls (1)

Have you ever surprised someone with a visit? Tell me about your closest friends!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    November 16, 2015 at 8:38 am

Awwww I love thiiisssss. It was so sweet you surprised Lee. You girlies are so great. I couldn’t agree more about showing your appreciation for your friends and loved ones. You can never remind them enough, in my opinion 😉
    And I bet this granola is ridiculously addicting.
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Whole Wheat Pumpkin Donuts [with chocolate glaze]

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    November 16, 2015 at 9:58 am

You are such a sweet friend! 🙂
    Granola is the ultimate gift to give in the holidays…I’ve done it time and time again 😉 Never fails to bring a smile!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Apple Cinnamon Crumble Doughnuts

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 16, 2015 at 10:38 am

Love this message especially around Thanksgiving time! I think it’s important to keep up this thankful attitude all year long, because we really are the product of the people around us. Lucky to have such amazing people!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Roasted Butternut Squash Fall Kale Salad

November 16, 2015 at 11:27 am

I’d surprise someone with a happy message! Never fails to make someone smile! This looks like the perfect Thanksgiving morning granola for breakfast or dessert at the feast!
    Cassie recently posted…Best Cereal Roundup

She Rocks Fitness
    November 16, 2015 at 4:18 pm

I LOVE surprising friends and family…It is so much fun and worth all the stress; missed flights; and trying to keep that secret quiet…I hope it goes well!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…Why Hard Works Beats Luck – The Blissful Balance

November 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Minus the missed flight it went off without a hitch, thankfully!

Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    November 16, 2015 at 5:25 pm

I spy granola perfection! Just look at the toastyness of the oats and almonds!! Love cranberry season!!
    Bethany @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…Cranberry Sweet Potato Salad {4 ingredients w/Paleo & Vegan option!}

November 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Me too! Now to control myself around granola is a whole other battle…

Lindsey Bomgren
    November 17, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Granola is my go-to holiday gift to give…I love giving gifts and since I’m not a millionaire it’s the one gift I can afford to DIY and give, give, give. Added bonus my apartment smells like a bake shop throughout the entire month of December! Adding this almond cranberry granola to my holiday recipe list!

PS: I’m doing international travel this weekend and reading your blog gave me heart palpitations….airports stress me out!
    Lindsey Bomgren recently posted…3 ingredient appetizer {thanksgiving menu scheming}

November 17, 2015 at 4:49 pm

You got this, lady!!! They can stress me out too but it ended up being a blessing in disguise cause I had time to work on this post! P.S. Lee told me all about you and I stalked your blog. You are so so talented! Glad we connected xoxo

Lindsey Bomgren
        November 17, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Ah you’re so kind, thanks for taking time to check out my blog! It’s been so great getting to connect with Lee and learn from you two pros :)! Thanks for creating such an amazing community with The Blogger Project and sharing so many little nuggets!

simple martinis
    November 29, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Love the cranberry, almond combination! The addition of pumpkin seeds sounds great! To be honest, I ve never made granola bars at home and it feels like I m really missing out! Pinned of course!

Victoria
    June 19, 2016 at 8:37 am

This is going to be the 4th Davida recipe that I try. When making granola though I’ve never successfully been able to let it cool.😝

Dipped Blog
    July 20, 2016 at 10:06 pm

This Delicious Gift Will Make

[…] e literally calmed me down from losing it on the customs lady and graciously wal […]