breakfast gluten-free oatmeal/granola vegan

Banana Nut Overnight Oats

February 9, 2016

Prep your breakfast in 5 minutes or less with these Banana Nut Overnight Oats. Pop them in the fridge overnight for an easy, healthy and nutritious breakfast waiting for you in the morning.I’m convinced that overnight oats are the gateway drug to healthy food. When I first started dabbling with the idea of cleaning up my diet, shifting my breakfast from fruit loops to oatmeal seemed like an easy-enough transition. And oatmeal that you don’t even have to cook? It was a no-brainer.

Over the years my morning oats have made quite the transformation. They started off pretty basic with just some bananas and nuts before I dove into some crazier flavors like this mocha version or this pumpkin spice latte version. Likewise, my overnight oats photo styling has seemed to have gotten a little fancier…Can you blame me?

But seeing as its THM’s birthday month, I wanted to pay an ode to the good ole’ days and take a walk down overnight oat memory lane. We’re getting back to the classics with these Banana Nut Overnight Oats.

Prep your breakfast in 5 minutes or less with these Banana Nut Overnight Oats. Pop them in the fridge overnight for an easy, healthy and nutritious breakfast waiting for you in the morning.The other morning I woke up and decided to shoot my morning oats. This Banana Nut version is my go-to but I haven’t posted it because I feared it was too basic. I also find myself wanting to dig in and don’t have the patience to style and shoot my breakfast when all I want to do is eat.

These days I almost exclusively photograph midday. I’m testing throughout the week (usually the meals we actually eat that then become recipes on the blog) but once I’ve finalized a recipe I’ll add it to my roster for “shooting day” aka Tuesday midday.

But shooting my breakfast at 8:00 AM was giving me some serious TBT feels. It brought me back to a simpler time (and by simpler I mean far more hectic and chaotic) when I was hustlin’ to get my little bloggy off the ground while working a 9-to-5 job.

Shooting a recipe before work or on the weekends were really my only options.

Prep your breakfast in 5 minutes or less with these Banana Nut Overnight Oats. Pop them in the fridge overnight for an easy, healthy and nutritious breakfast waiting for you in the morning.For obvious reasons I’m glad that my journey has allowed me to not have to balance a million things at once, but I do still hold a lot of love for that time in my life and a degree of envy for my fellow bloggers just starting on their path.

When I talk to new bloggers I’m always filled with so much excitement. They get to start something from scratch and build it entirely themselves from the ground up. And it’s all just beginning.

If you’re a new blogger and have talked with me for more than 5 minutes than you know how passionate I can get about this topic. I become like an old-timer encouraging you to embrace the lustful beginning stages of a new relationship!

I don’t know why this happens since I’m very grateful to be in the position I’m in these days, but waking up early to shoot my breakfast reminds me of when I did something totally out of character and started this corner of the internet. A decision that subsequently changed my life.

But before I start getting all sentimental on you, I encourage you to try something new and different today. Maybe you start a blog, or maybe you try a new breakfast like these Banana Nut Overnight Oats. But whatever you do, remember to enjoy the journey. One day you’re gonna look back at those choices and I hope that you can smile about them.

Banana Nut Overnight Oats

PREP TIME 5 mins

• 1 cup rolled oats
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1 large, ripe banana, mashed
  • 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted*
  • 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (+ more for adding in morning)
  • optional: added maple syrup or honey for extra sweetness**

1. To an airtight container or mason jar add your mashed banana, rolled oats, chia seeds and toasted walnuts.
  2. Top with almond milk, maple syrup + added sweetener (if using) and stir.
  3. Close top and give it a good shake to ensure everything is well-mixed.
  4. Place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.
  5. In the morning add additional almond milk to thin out (if desired) and top with additional sliced banana and chopped walnuts.

Notes

I highly recommend toasting your walnuts for added flavor. I toast mine in the oven at 350 for around 8 minutes *whether or not you add this will depend on your tastebuds and how ripe your banana is.

Prep your breakfast in 5 minutes or less with these Banana Nut Overnight Oats. Pop them in the fridge overnight for an easy, healthy and nutritious breakfast waiting for you in the morning.Do you get sentimental about the past? Bloggers, am I crazy for wanting to go back in time?

Victoria
    February 9, 2016 at 6:48 am

“Gateway drug to healthy foods”- you are too funny! But for reals…overnight oats was one of my first introductory meals into a new whole foods lifestyle! This post was great, and well timed- I just started my blog yesterday and reading about your story gave me goosebumps!

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    February 9, 2016 at 7:43 am

I love me some overnight oats! I was on a kick for about 2 months since I have to be at work at 5:15am some days. This month is my blog’s one year! I need to check what day, but yay for celebrating. I need to think of something good to post 🙂
    Kelly @ Eat the Gains recently posted…In for the Long Hall – Running WOD

Em @ Love A Latte
    February 9, 2016 at 9:14 am

I will be making this tonight, hopefully! I need a new breakfast. I go through phases with overnight oats, but it has been a while so I’m ready again. I definitely get sentimental about the past. These days I just try to live in the moment and soak it all up. Easier said than done since time flies!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy #2: 17 Weeks Update

February 9, 2016 at 9:31 am

Agreed! Everything feels like yesterday and 10 years ago all at the same time!

Polly
    February 9, 2016 at 9:39 am

Yum! These overnight oats look delicious! I have all the ingredients to make it so I will definitely give it a try!
    Polly recently posted…5 Ways to Feel Refreshed

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    February 9, 2016 at 9:58 am

Okay, you’ve got me feeling WAY TOO MANY feels for a Tuesday morning. And I’m about to go into an all day meeting so I’m gonna go grab some tissues now, K THANKS. Bye.
    p.s. <3 <3 <3
    p.p.s never stop with the banana. BANANA IS NEVER BASIC.
    Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen recently posted…Triple Chocolate Avocado Muffins [ gluten-free, dairy-free ]

February 9, 2016 at 1:32 pm

So many feels. Also thank you for making me feel better about banana! You’re right…it will never be pumpkin spice 😉

Fit Foodie Lee
    February 9, 2016 at 11:46 am

Yup times a 1000000. I could eat OO for every single meal of the day…with a few balls thrown in there.

February 9, 2016 at 1:30 pm

I’ve always admired your varied and wide-ranged diet!

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    February 9, 2016 at 2:30 pm

This exact recipe was my go-to when i first started liking oatmeal and overnight oats!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…An Ode to Spokane

February 9, 2016 at 4:17 pm

I like to consider this the OG overnight oats recipe 😉

Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    February 9, 2016 at 5:29 pm

You can never go wrong with basic but delicious oatmeal recipes, especially if it includes bananas and nuts!
    Bethany @ Athletic Avocado recently posted…No-Bake Pecan Fig Granola Bars with Coconut Glaze {Gluten-Free + Vegan!}

February 9, 2016 at 6:24 pm

agreed! I’m glad I went with my intuition on this one 😉

Bita
    February 9, 2016 at 8:06 pm

Hey Maven – this looks super good. Totes going to try this next time I have some ba nay nays in the house! thanks for sharing 👌 Bita

Bita
    February 9, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Thanks Davida! 😉

Amanda | The Cinnamon Scrolls
    February 10, 2016 at 1:03 am

I adore overnight oats! I discovered them when I was travelling through Australia, but over there it’s known as bircher muesli. This Banana Nut version looks great! You’ve inspired me to make some for breakfast tomorrow! 🙂
    Amanda | The Cinnamon Scrolls recently posted…Mini Chocolate Wine Cakes with Balsamic Glazed Figs

February 10, 2016 at 8:42 am

I also love bircher muesli! I find the texture to be slightly different between the two (Overnight oats are a bit thicker) but both taste amazing 🙂

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    February 10, 2016 at 10:04 am

This is actually my favorite way to make them! I have been wanting to reshoot my overnight oats pictures because they were back in the iPhone + fluorescent light days…enough said. 🙂 Overnight oats >>>>> any other kind!

Happy BDay month to THM! *insert balloons and cake emojis*
    Alysia at Slim Sanity recently posted…Homemade Peanut Butter and Jelly Cups

February 10, 2016 at 12:25 pm

hahahahah yup! Serious throwback to those days. They kind of make me cringe but I also love seeing the progress and how far I’ve come!

Sarah @ BucketListTummy
    February 10, 2016 at 11:08 am

Well just found my overnight oat recipe for tomorrow! Toasting the nuts is a great idea – seems like it would bring SO much more flavor. I’ll probably have to add peanut butter too, since that’s a given!
    Sarah @ BucketListTummy recently posted…Cauliflower rice, sauerkraut and chocolate muffins

Patricia @Sweet and Strong
    February 10, 2016 at 7:38 pm

So inspiring since I’m somewhat of a new blogger trying to also balance a full time job. And I always have a fear of posting a recipe because it’s so ‘basic’ I think no one will like it. But this recipe is perfect! I love the idea of toasting the walnuts, I’m sure it definitely makes a huge difference. I haven’t made overnight oats in awhile but you have me craving them now!
    Patricia @Sweet and Strong recently posted…One Year of Blogging and a few GIVEAWAYS

February 12, 2016 at 9:20 am

Aw thank you Patricia! Keep up the amazing work. Hope you enjoy the recipe 🙂

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    February 10, 2016 at 9:15 pm

Blogging while working 9-5 is tough! That’s when it turns into blogging once per month like it’s been for me lately haha. Oh well, at least overnight oats like this recipe makes the working life a little bit easier! 🙂
    Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Quinoa and Steel Cut Porridge with Sautéed Apples

Stella @ Stellicious Life
      February 11, 2016 at 9:26 am

So true Chelsea! *sighs* But I guess it’s the sentimentality/nostalgia of things 🙂

I’d love to be able to shoot midday (especially in these dreary gray winter months), but I’m left with either weekends or week day mornings, when the light is still so flat and gray.

Anyway this BananaNut Overnight Oats looks sunny and yummy! (please excuse my sleep-deprived brain’s thoughts of funny…) I love toasted nuts! I usually toast them in a skillet for a few minutes, otherwise I might burn them in the oven.

February 12, 2016 at 9:20 am

I miss you!!! But it’s quality over quantity and every single one of your posts is amazing so it’s no biggie when you can’t pop in more often!

February 12, 2016 at 12:32 pm

Raw oats kiiiiiiiiiiiinda scare me, but I will cook them before making this recipe!
    Cassie recently posted…New YouTube Video: L.A. Fit Expo 2016 Recap

Gwen @ Delightful Adventures
    February 13, 2016 at 4:28 pm

This recipe is definitely not basic. It’s exactly what breakfast should be. Easy, simple, healthy. Love it.

And no! You are not crazy for wanting to go back in time! I am what I guess you’d call a newbie blogger and even though I can be impatient with some of the aspects of this blogging business at times, I do love things being so new, hitting new milestones, and learning/trying new things all the time. I will totally miss these early days, so I get what you are saying. Nostalgia always sucks me in, so I can see myself feeling like you when I get to where you are. Happy birthday THM! 🙂
    Gwen @ Delightful Adventures recently posted…Dark Chocolate Mint Avocado Pudding

February 15, 2016 at 1:20 pm

Aw thanks Gwen! I’m glad you understand! There’s something so special about everything being new. I love where I’m at but I definitely do miss being a newbie 🙂

Emily
    February 17, 2016 at 11:57 am

These look delish!! Can overnight oats sit for longer than overnight? i.e. could I make a batch for the week on Sunday? Thanks for my new breakfast inspiration!

February 18, 2016 at 8:36 am

For sure! I wouldn’t use a super ripe banana though since it may get a little yucky tasting after five days in the fridge but if your oats would be totally fine. Just stick to a just-ripe banana for the best results. Enjoy!

Emily
        February 18, 2016 at 11:30 am

Thanks!

Alla
    March 27, 2016 at 10:51 pm

I think this recipe is missing something in step 2. Are you not supposed to add milk in this step? Because nowhere in Step 1 or 3 does it say to add milk except in the morning for thinning the oatmeal if you desire to do so in Step 5. Can someone clarify this please.

March 28, 2016 at 8:25 am

Yes- you are correct! Add almond milk in Step 2. I’ve fixed in the instructions. Enjoy!

Virginia
    April 1, 2016 at 3:45 pm

Can I use a frozen banana?

Annb
    April 2, 2016 at 12:01 am

after it sets in the fridge overnite can you warm it in the mason jar in the microwave if you wanted? Never really ate oatmeal cold

April 2, 2016 at 3:56 pm

yes absolutely! Just add a bit more milk in the morning, stir it in and heat it up!

Carlyfrog6
    April 25, 2016 at 10:06 pm

So is the oat meal cold? I am trying to figure that out. It looks super yummy!!!!😀😀😀😀😀

Laura
    April 5, 2017 at 2:33 pm

This was the first overnight oats recipe I’ve ever made – and now I am obsessed! So filling. Thank you!