breakfast eggs gluten-free paleo

How To Make Shakshuka

April 10, 2016

Have you ever wondered how to make shakshuka? This wonderful Middle Eastern poached egg dish made in a saucy tomato broth is the next best addition to your weekend brunch.The other week, Sahar was over and we were discussing some exciting new projects for the YouTube channel. Somehow we got into a discussion about happiness (who doesn’t want to chat about happiness?!) and before she could finish asking me my favourite things, I shouted BRUNCH.

The thought of brunch makes me happy, and thoughts of happiness make me think of brunch. Some of my best memories in life have happened over the brunch table. Yes, this post will absolutely be forcing you to take a walk down memory lane with me…

Allow me to begin.

Have you ever wondered how to make shakshuka? This wonderful Middle Eastern poached egg dish made in a saucy tomato broth is the next best addition to your weekend brunch.My earliest memories of brunch remind me of my Mom’s baked french toast and bagels and lox. For some reason I also only associated brunch with bar and bat mitzvah’s because at 10 years old, the only brunches you have are associated with Jewish children coming of age…what?

As I got older I expanded my brunch repertoire to hangover brunches at McGill pizza and bottomless brunches in NYC. I’ve brunched in Toronto, in San Francisco, in Israel, in Italy and pretty much everywhere in between.

I’ve gone sweet, I’ve gone savoury, but more often than not I’ve shakshuka’ed. Because once you try shakshuka, you never go back.

Have you ever wondered how to make shakshuka? This wonderful Middle Eastern poached egg dish made in a saucy tomato broth is the next best addition to your weekend brunch.In case you’ve never heard of shakshuka, allow me to explain. It’s a traditional Israeli dish (also eaten in other regions of the middle east) that is made up of a thick tomato broth with a poached egg cooked inside. It’s basically the best brunch recipe ever and also the easiest to whip up if you’re hosting guests.

It sounds like a complicated dish, but it’s actually incredibly easy…and fun to say!

But for me, it’s currently associated with my last two brunches with my bestie Dale and my right-hand lady Jess.

Essentially, shakshuka is happiness. Screw the rest of brunch!

…okay fine, coffee too!

How To Make Shakshuka

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 20 mins
Serves 3-4 depending on size     adjust servings

1. Heat up oil in a 10 inch cast-iron (ideal) or large skillet over med-high heat.
  2. Sauté onions for 3-5 mins or until translucent.
  3. Add in garlic and cook for 1 minute.
  4. Add diced tomatoes and spices and bring to a boil then let simmer for about 5 mins or until broth has thickened.
  5. Create 5 small "wells" for the eggs and crack eggs directly into wells. There should be 4 around the edges and 1 in the middle.
  6. Cover with a lid, if available or lightly with tin foil and let cook for about 10 mins for over-easy eggs or longer for more well done. Watch closely until desired egg consistency has been reached as each pan/stove top is different.
  7. Top with fresh parsley and black pepper. Optional to top with feta or goat's cheese.
  8. Serve immediately with fresh bread or pita for dipping.

Have you ever wondered how to make shakshuka? This wonderful Middle Eastern poached egg dish made in a saucy tomato broth is the next best addition to your weekend brunch.Thoughts on brunch? What’s your favorite brunch dish?

Colleen
    April 10, 2016 at 9:12 am

Already saved into my recipe file! Looks yummy and company worthy as well! I love “different”!

April 10, 2016 at 9:30 am

wonderful! Then you and your guests will LOVE this recipe. It’s seriously so easy and delish!

Dale
    April 10, 2016 at 10:37 am

Take me back to your apartment and that amazing brunch where I had shakshuka

Dale
    April 10, 2016 at 10:38 am

Last one got messed up – was supposed to say where I had shakshuka AND your mom’s baked French toast! So good! Love you!

April 10, 2016 at 11:34 am

Love you so much Daley! To many more shakshuka brunches 😉

Stacie, RDN |Simply Nourished Recipes
    April 10, 2016 at 10:52 am

Davida – this looks amazing! Breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day and this recipe looks so dang delicious. I’ve never made Shakshuka and can’t wait to give it a try! Thanks Lady! And ps: when do you get your doodle pup?
    Stacie, RDN |Simply Nourished Recipes recently posted…Basil Walnut Pesto

Helen Fern
    April 10, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I’ve never heard of this but it looks and sounds amazing! Would love to have you share it at the “What’s for Dinner” blog hop!

Katie
    April 10, 2016 at 4:27 pm

My house loves shakshuka and I make it often! We more often eat it for a quick week night dinner with chickpeas added for some extra protein. There is a middle eastern restaurant in my town who serves it with merguez in the tomatoes, which is also delicious!

April 10, 2016 at 8:18 pm

That sounds amazing! Definitely going to add chickpeas next time!

Lee
    April 10, 2016 at 9:02 pm

You shoulda seen me try to spell Shakshuka for the first time. EPIC FAIL.

Cassie Autumn Tran
    April 10, 2016 at 10:30 pm

Please tell me I’m not the only one who wants to eat the whole skillet. Because I would do that right now. I love shakshuka because it’s savory, flavorful, filling and super hearty!! Best Middle Eastern breakfast dish ever!

April 11, 2016 at 10:34 am

I totally agree! And you are more than welcome to eat the whole skillet 😉

Ann
    April 11, 2016 at 5:46 am

I might make this this week during my 3 vegetarian days (I do like a 3 day “challenge” just for fun).
    I’d always go for savoury rather than sweet, even for regular breakfast, not only brunch. I love omelette, nice and fluffy!

April 11, 2016 at 9:56 am

I’ve always been impressed with your savoury breakfasts! For me, savoury is reserved for brunch 🙂

Amanda
    April 11, 2016 at 1:33 pm

Ohmygosh the best meal I had in Israel was shakshuka! Eaten on the last day of my birthright trip and first time I ever heard of it. I’ve tried making it at home, but it’s not the same. I’ll have to try your recipe!

Emily @ Sinful Nutrition
    April 13, 2016 at 9:11 am

I’m always looking for another way to use my cast iron skillet! Plus using something acidic like tomatoes help extract some extra iron so this is double as healthy!
    Emily @ Sinful Nutrition recently posted…WIAW: While Breaking the Internet

April 13, 2016 at 11:11 am

yay! I hadn’t even thought about that. Even more reason why shakshuka is amazing 🙂

Sam @ barrister's beet
    April 14, 2016 at 7:28 am

This looks delicious Davida! I love brunch too. I had awesome shak in Israel at a little place called the Paris Cafe. It was so good! Thanks for sharing : )

alexa.al
    June 1, 2016 at 7:05 am

Looks so good! Very nice post! Thank you so much!

masala girl
    June 5, 2016 at 11:25 pm

ohmygod this is mouth watering! i used to work as a hostess at a local Mediterranean restaurant and their shakshuska was sooo good. yours sounds simple and delicious!
    masala girl recently posted…DIY: Homemade Deodorant, easy & effective

June 6, 2016 at 10:30 am

Ah lucky you! I’m considering working in a Mediterranean restaurant just to each shakshuka everyday!

Amy Hardy
    September 8, 2016 at 10:50 am

My husband and I are touring through Israel, and we had a tasting tour today, in the Carmel Market, in Tel Aviv! We had this served on hummus! It was Ah-mazing!! Unbelievable to the point of wanting to lick the bowl!! I will definitely be trying this once we get home!

Deb
    January 31, 2017 at 2:08 pm

Love shakshuka but I prefer to use stewed tomatoes rather than chopped. Adds a hint of sweetness to this savory dish.

Nina
    February 4, 2017 at 2:04 pm

Please. Shakshouka is not a traditional middle eastern or israeli dish. Its tunisian. There s a tendancy to take north african dishes and label them as “middle eastern” or “israeli”.

Tawnya
    August 11, 2017 at 12:01 pm

I loved this recipe, made it for my family, they loved it too!

Elaine
    October 20, 2017 at 2:00 pm

Hi Davida, I just want to say that your Shakshuka is awesome! This is one of those recipes that I have been keen to make for a long time – it is on my list now, that’s for sure. Thank you!

Merihan
    October 22, 2017 at 6:24 am

A traditional Israeli dish? Well it is no surprise that u guys don’t really have an authentic traditional dish since that dish is really of Tunisian origin. So why don’t u just work on that and create ur own traditional dish instead of just copying other cultures ? It seems to be that the only thing Isrealis can do is stealing and occupying other countries!