drinks gluten-free paleo vegan

Matcha Turmeric Latte

January 20, 2017

Start your morning with a mug of this matcha turmeric latte. The peppery kick and boost of caffeine will help you get through your day!

Start your morning with a mug of this matcha turmeric latte. It's packed full of antioxidants and a boost of caffeine to help you get through your day!As I mentioned in this post, one of my goals was to incorporate more rest and relaxation into my life this year. I know it sounds odd to prioritize rest, but as someone who literally has to be doing something at all times, this is easier said then done.

I’ve noticed a pattern that as the day goes on, I stop prioritizing myself and start putting my never-ending to-do list of work farrrrr ahead of any self-care. This means that if I don’t do it first thing in the morning, there’s a decent chance it’ll become the last thing I care about when the day is done.

Now, this is clearly something that needs work (I’m trying!), but in the meantime, I decided to carve out a little time first thing in the morning before I get my day started to prioritize ME, and simply exist without the worries of daily life.

Start your morning with a mug of this matcha turmeric latte. It's packed full of antioxidants and a boost of caffeine to help you get through your day!The last few months of the year were pretty stressful for me and as someone who baseline doesn’t prioritize self-care, you could imagine how bad it got when a layer of stress is added to this. Of course, those who are most stressed out, probably need a slower pace more than anyone but at the time I wasn’t prepared to listen to anybody.

My body eventually did what it always does and started giving me blaring signs that I needed to implement some change. One of the first things that it does is make my appetite go all wonky. I’ll lose it completely and then it will reappear with a vengeance. Also, my food cravings change. In the last few months of 2016, I couldn’t look at breakfast (seriously, I don’t think I instagrammed a single breakfast from October-December!) and I stopped drinking coffee completely (me…the coffee addict!!!).

Start your morning with a mug of this matcha turmeric latte. It's packed full of antioxidants and a boost of caffeine to help you get through your day!One good thing to come out of it was that I started to experiment more with other foods I typically overlook because I have my usuals. Suddenly, I was drinking matcha lattes in the morning and I wasn’t hating it. I’m actually pretty into matcha lattes, but I generally end up going for coffee instead. This was a refreshing new twist in my stressful state. And when I think about it, I think my body was too hyped up on cortisol to handle the amount of caffeine coming from coffee. It needed something with a slower release like matcha.

And then there’s the turmeric, which I started to incorporate more of to help with inflammation. My skin gets pretty bad when I’m stressed, so any type of anti-inflammatory is key. And of course I used my Simply Organic Ground Turmeric, which I quite literally travelled across the country with. See here...

Things started to slow down as the year wound down, and with an eye-opening trip to Guatemala, I was able to get on top of my stress and really set some new practices to help me prevent seasons like this past one. My biggest tip? Wake up slow. Give yourself time to ease into your mornings. I’ve been waiting an hour before I even consider looking at my phone. I’m enjoying some morning meditation with a Matcha Turmeric Latte and slowly eating my breakfast before starting the day. Stay tuned for an updated Morning Routine Video! It feels good to be back 🙂

Matcha Turmeric Latte

PREP TIME 5 mins
Serves 1     adjust servings

• 1 1/2 tsp matcha powder
  • 1/4 tsp Simply Organic turmeric
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I use almond)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1-2 tsp sweetener (coconut sugar, maple syrup, honey)

1. Add matcha and turmeric to a large mug.
  2. Top with hot water and whisk together.
  3. Heat up milk until it begins to foam. Stir in coconut oil.
  4. Add milk to mug and whisk in sweetener.
  5. Drink immediately.

Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Simply Organic. Simply Organic and I have worked together for years and they’ve been a wonderful sponsor for The Healthy Maven. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make THM a reality!

How do you guys react to stress? What does your morning routine look like?

Jenny
    January 20, 2017 at 7:17 am

I love matcha lattes. I will definitely be adding turmeric today. Thank you!

Amanda @ The Pretend Baker
    January 20, 2017 at 7:38 am

I’m with you on slow mornings! I take a least 1-2 hours before I really immerse myself in anything. Waking up with the sun and watching it come up is key 🙂 I also ditched coffee for matcha! It’s definitely better on the adrenals. I’ve never added turmeric but will give it a shot today! Hope you continue to feel better.
    Amanda @ The Pretend Baker recently posted…Lemon Poppyseed Scones

January 22, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Hope you enjoy, Amanda! I’ve been loving my hour to ease into the day. It makes such a difference!

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    January 20, 2017 at 8:03 am

Yum this looks so cozy! And I love that you take time to ease into your mornings with meditation and no phone. I need to start doing that more.

January 22, 2017 at 10:25 pm

It was a tough adjustment but now I can’t imagine having it in the bedroom. I can’t believe how quickly I would jump into my phone. Somehow I survived haha

Karlie
    January 20, 2017 at 8:15 am

1- making this this weekend
    2- can’t wait for the video
    3- love that last photo !!
    Karlie recently posted…Gluten Free Pita Bread

Kelsey Yoki
    January 20, 2017 at 11:14 am

This sound so amazing! We just used up our matcha powder, so it looks like I’ll need to buy more so I can make this ASAP! So happy you are prioritizing self-care this year, and I know I am doing the same for myself in this year of restore. =)
    Kelsey Yoki recently posted…Stog Going At It Alone.

January 22, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I’ve loved watching you find more balance in your life. It’s been super inspiring to me!

Kelsey Yoki
        January 23, 2017 at 12:23 pm

It truly means the world to hear that from you. Sometimes life can feel like you are talking into a void when it comes to posting on IG, and I love hearing people connect with it on some level. Life has felt pretty amazing this year so far, and I’m soaking it all up. <3

Amanda - Create N Plate
    January 20, 2017 at 11:23 am

I love slow mornings. I’ve gotten myself into a routine where I have an hour or so when I first wake up to relax and tune in before I start my day. I can’t wait to give this latte a try and incorporate it into my day as well!
    Amanda – Create N Plate recently posted…Oatmeal Peanut Butter Bites

January 22, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Hope you enjoy it, Amanda! I’ve been loving my hour easing into the day. It’s been such a godsend!

Jess
    January 20, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I can relate all too much to not prioritizing “me time.” If there are things to be done, I mentally cannot relax until it’s all been checked off. Love your suggestions trying to pumping the brakes! I’m very curious about the combination of flavors in the latte- can’t wait to try it!

January 22, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Hope you enjoy it Jess! Still working hard at making more time for myself but my hour in the morning has been such a blessing. I feel so much better as I move through the day!

dixya @food, pleasure, and health
    January 22, 2017 at 7:45 am

i have been making simply matcha tea in the morning but adding turmeric to the mix is a great idea! self care is on my priority too for 2017!
    dixya @food, pleasure, and health recently posted…Virtual Coffee Date

Sabrena
    January 23, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Wow! What an interesting combo. Can’t wait to try it out!

Also wanted to share this health giveaway going on right now: https://microbiomeplus.com/deal/ where you can win 3 month supply of probiotics, $100 towards a gym membership and a $50 Amazon gift card! 🙂

Kira
    January 25, 2017 at 1:46 am

I am not a latte lover but it looks delicious and healthy and i am suffering from stress these day so I can’t stop myself to try if it would be helpful for me. Thanks for the recipe dear. I would love to share with friends after try it.