drinks gluten-free paleo vegan

Matcha Turmeric Latte

January 20, 2020

Start your morning with a mug of this matcha turmeric latte. The peppery kick and boost of caffeine will help you get through your day!

Between the general underlying stress and anxiety of the past year and realizing that caffeine (specifically coffee) was impacting my skin, I decided to give up coffee. Yes me… the coffee addict! I started to experiment more with other foods I typically overlook because I have my usuals.

Suddenly, I was drinking matcha lattes in the morning and I wasn’t hating it. I’m actually pretty into matcha lattes, but I generally end up going for coffee instead. When I think about it, I think my body was too hyped up on cortisol to handle the amount of caffeine coming from coffee. It needed something with a slower release like matcha.

And then there’s the turmeric, which I started to incorporate more of to help with inflammation. I figured, why not get the best bang for my buck by combining matcha and turmeric? It’s basically a green golden milk latte!

The Benefits of Turmeric and Matcha:

• Matcha: anti-oxidant rich with caffeine and l-theanine contributing to positive mood. It also contains EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate), which is believed to have cancer-fighting effects on the body.
  • Turmeric: a powerful anti-inflammatory that can help with arthritis and recovery from ailments.

Matcha Turmeric Latte Ingredients

• matcha powder – I’m obsessed with Golde’s Pure Matcha.
  • organic turmeric
  • pinch of black pepper – helps to activate turmeric.
  • hot water
  • non-dairy milk – I use unsweetened almond milk but any dairy-free milk works!
  • coconut oil
  • sweetener – coconut sugar, maple syrup, and honey are all delicious.

How to Make a Matcha Turmeric Latte

STEP 1: Add matcha, turmeric and black pepper to a large mug.

Start your morning with a mug of this matcha turmeric latte. It's packed full of antioxidants and a boost of caffeine to help you get through your day!

STEP 2: Top with hot water and whisk together.

STEP 3: Heat up the milk in a separate container until it begins to foam. Stir in the coconut oil. Add the milk to the matcha blend and whisk in the sweetener. Enjoy!

Matcha Turmeric Latte

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 3 minutes
  • Cook Time: 2 minutes
  • Total Time: 5 minutes
  • Yield: 1 serving 1x
  • Category: Drinks
  • Method: Cook
  • Diet: Vegan

Scale
  • 1 1/2 tsp matcha powder
  • 1/4 tsp organic turmeric
  • pinch of black pepper (helps to activate turmeric)
  • 1/4 cup hot water
  • 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I use almond)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 12 tsp sweetener (coconut sugar, maple syrup, honey)

1. Add matcha, turmeric and black pepper to a large mug.
  2. Top with hot water and whisk together.
  3. Heat up milk until it begins to foam. Stir in coconut oil.
  4. Add milk to mug and whisk in sweetener.
  5. Drink immediately.

Keywords: matcha latte, matcha turmeric latte, turmeric latte

Like this post? Here are more drink recipes you might enjoy:

Lizzie
    March 21, 2018 at 11:57 pm

Sounds delicious! Do you have a brand of matcha that you like?

Sara
    March 18, 2018 at 5:13 pm

I am also a recovering coffee addict & I’ve been enjoying matcha lattes lately. Looks like a good idea to add turmeric! I whip mine up in my NutriBullet and it makes it all frothy.. give a whirl.. 🙂

Kira
    January 25, 2017 at 1:46 am

I am not a latte lover but it looks delicious and healthy and i am suffering from stress these day so I can’t stop myself to try if it would be helpful for me. Thanks for the recipe dear. I would love to share with friends after try it.

Sabrena
    January 23, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Wow! What an interesting combo. Can’t wait to try it out!

Also wanted to share this health giveaway going on right now: https://microbiomeplus.com/deal/ where you can win 3 month supply of probiotics, $100 towards a gym membership and a $50 Amazon gift card! 🙂

dixya @food, pleasure, and health
    January 22, 2017 at 7:45 am

i have been making simply matcha tea in the morning but adding turmeric to the mix is a great idea! self care is on my priority too for 2017!

Jess
    January 20, 2017 at 1:59 pm

I can relate all too much to not prioritizing “me time.” If there are things to be done, I mentally cannot relax until it’s all been checked off. Love your suggestions trying to pumping the brakes! I’m very curious about the combination of flavors in the latte- can’t wait to try it!

January 22, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Hope you enjoy it Jess! Still working hard at making more time for myself but my hour in the morning has been such a blessing. I feel so much better as I move through the day!

Amanda - Create N Plate
    January 20, 2017 at 11:23 am

I love slow mornings. I’ve gotten myself into a routine where I have an hour or so when I first wake up to relax and tune in before I start my day. I can’t wait to give this latte a try and incorporate it into my day as well!

January 22, 2017 at 10:27 pm

Hope you enjoy it, Amanda! I’ve been loving my hour easing into the day. It’s been such a godsend!

Kelsey Yoki
    January 20, 2017 at 11:14 am

This sound so amazing! We just used up our matcha powder, so it looks like I’ll need to buy more so I can make this ASAP! So happy you are prioritizing self-care this year, and I know I am doing the same for myself in this year of restore. =)

January 22, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I’ve loved watching you find more balance in your life. It’s been super inspiring to me!

Kelsey Yoki
        January 23, 2017 at 12:23 pm

It truly means the world to hear that from you. Sometimes life can feel like you are talking into a void when it comes to posting on IG, and I love hearing people connect with it on some level. Life has felt pretty amazing this year so far, and I’m soaking it all up. <3

Karlie
    January 20, 2017 at 8:15 am

1- making this this weekend
    2- can’t wait for the video
    3- love that last photo !!

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    January 20, 2017 at 8:03 am

Yum this looks so cozy! And I love that you take time to ease into your mornings with meditation and no phone. I need to start doing that more.

January 22, 2017 at 10:25 pm

It was a tough adjustment but now I can’t imagine having it in the bedroom. I can’t believe how quickly I would jump into my phone. Somehow I survived haha

Amanda @ The Pretend Baker
    January 20, 2017 at 7:38 am

I’m with you on slow mornings! I take a least 1-2 hours before I really immerse myself in anything. Waking up with the sun and watching it come up is key 🙂 I also ditched coffee for matcha! It’s definitely better on the adrenals. I’ve never added turmeric but will give it a shot today! Hope you continue to feel better.

January 22, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Hope you enjoy, Amanda! I’ve been loving my hour to ease into the day. It makes such a difference!

Jenny
    January 20, 2017 at 7:17 am

I love matcha lattes. I will definitely be adding turmeric today. Thank you!

1 2