Live

The Engagement.

June 6, 2017

I can’t believe I just typed those two words into the title. The engagement. Ah!!!!

As some of you may know (via Instagram), C and I got engaged last week. What I thought would be an average Wednesday ended up being one of the best days of my life.

What followed was 5 incredible days exploring the California coast with our families and soaking in the amazing news that we’re OFFICIALLY GETTING MARRIED!

But let’s start at the beginning and how in the span of 30 seconds C went from my boyfriend to my fiancé.

All the behind-the-scene details on The Healthy Maven Engagement. From how he asked to how we celebrated, here's how C proposed to D!

I’ve known for a couple of months that my parents were coming to town to see our new place in SF and head north to spend a few days in Mendocino (an adorable ocean town 3 hours north of SF). What I didn’t know was how much scheming was going on behind the scenes.

A few weeks before my parents visit C stopped in Toronto after a work trip to Montreal. That was when the plan was hatched. After asking my parent’s blessing, the three of them went ring shopping for what has to be the absolute most beautiful ring I have ever seen. To their credit, they knew exactly what I wanted (simple, classic and something I would want to wear for the rest of my life) and they completely exceeded any expectations I had. It took a few weeks to put the ring together so that meant it would make its way from Toronto to San Francisco with my parents when they visited.

The morning my parents arrived C went to pick them up at the airport and they gave him the finished ring. I somehow was convinced to stay back at the apartment and wait for them to arrive. Unbeknownst to me, the day was going to turn into a pretty epic one.

After settling in, we took my parents on a walk and went to grab lunch from a local cafe. We ate our lunch outside and then my parents wanted to go back to take a nap before our big dinner that night since they were jet-lagged. Most Wednesdays we have family dinner with C’s family who live in the city (there’s 6 of us + many guests!) and it was actually our turn to host that night.

Before any dinner or party, we always try to run Bodhi so he’s not a total maniac. So C suggested we bring him to Golden Gate Park to run around. Now here’s where it gets interesting. It’s not at all unsusual that we take Bodhi on a walk to the park. In fact, we do it pretty much everyday. So much so we named one meadow of the park “Bodhi’s Meadow” because the three of us love going there. It’s enclosed and usually very few people there so we play fetch with him and sit on a picnic blanket and (sometimes) drink beer.

So we walked to the park, C put out a blanket and we played a couple rounds of fetch with Bods. Then C told me he had taught Bodhi a new trick and asked if I wanted to see it. I said “of course!” so he told me to turn around. Then when he told me to turn back around he was there on one knee!

I was completely blown away. I did NOT see it coming in that moment. Obviously, I knew that one day we’d get married and it was definitely something we had talked about but I had no idea that a very everyday moment for us would become so incredibly special.

Not only did he present the most beautiful ring, but he did it in the most perfect way. Despite how much I may share on the internet, C knows that those truly special moments are the ones I want to soak in privately. No photographers, or onlookers. No big, grand gestures. Just me, him and of course, Bodhi 😉 I could not have asked for a more perfect moment or partner to spend the rest of my life with.

But the surprises weren’t done there…

After spending about 45 minutes in the park, drinking beers, soaking in the shock and saying “OMG” at least 200 times, it was time to head back to our apartment to share in the excitement with my parents (who were eagerly awaiting for us to return). But when we got back to our apartment, C turned to me and said “I have one more surprise”.

When I walked through the door, HIS PARENTS jumped out from around the corner and I was in TOTAL shock. When we were sitting in the park, I told C we should call his parents to share the news, but he told me we should wait a bit. What I didn’t know was that his parents were already in our apartment waiting with my parents to join in the celebration. Beyond everything, the thoughtfulness he put into having both sets of our parents there is the #1 reason I love him and am so excited to spend the rest of my life with him.

After popping some champagne and hugging everyone like 500 times, it was time to start calling our families and close friends. What was even better was knowing that so many of them would be with us in a few hours to celebrate at family dinner. I had somehow planned our own engagement party!

In hindsight, I now realize why my parents and C had been so pushy about me not cooking for dinner (which I usually do). I had expected there to be 12 people there (my cousins and aunt were also in town visiting!) and was feeling overwhelmed by all the cooking I’d have to do so instead they all suggested we order in. Thank god they did this otherwise I would not have known what to do! But, me being me meant I had to make dessert so I broke in the new ring with some chocolate chip cookies.

The night ended up being such a perfect way to share in the excitement with some of the most important people in our lives. I am forever grateful for them and having them as part of the celebrations.

We crashed that night but woke up the next day to a full house with both of our parents in town. We had a delicious french toast breakfast (courtesy of Mama Maven) and then headed to the De Young museum for the the Summer of Love exhibit (go if you live in the Bay Area!). From there we ate lunch before heading to Baker Beach to run Bodhi around and take in the views.

That night we headed to Nopa for dinner and it was as divine as everyone had told us it would be.

The next part of this story takes us through wine country and up to Mendocino so I’ll save the deets of this weekend for my Mendocino recap post. Stay tuned!

* * * * *

Before I end this post, I just wanted to say THANK YOU to every single one of you who has wished us well on this exciting news. I was blown away by your kind words and all the love we received when I shared the engagement with all of you. And to all of our friends and family who made us feel so special, we love you so much. As C and I look back on the past 6 years of our relationship, we see so many memories we’ve shared with each other, but it’s those we’ve shared with all of you that have been the sweetest. We can’t wait to have all of our people in one room to celebrate at our wedding. WOAH.

As for the actual wedding, well, we’ve made approximately zero plans. At some point we’ll start planning but for now we’re just relishing in this special time and embracing every second of it. I’m sure as we begin sorting out more details I’ll share more, but I also haven’t decided how much that will be. For as much as I want THM to be a part of this celebration, I also know that it only makes up a small fraction of my relationship with C.

But we shall see. Who knows what the future has to bring!

DON'T WANT TO MISS A LIFE UPDATE? Join the THM Community!

Alicia @ Bridges Through Life
    June 6, 2017 at 6:37 am

What a special engagement and celebration over the weekend with family. When I got engaged last year I felt like people immediately ask about all the wedding plans. I started planning but then we went to travel and we still don’t have a date. I am simply just enjoying being engaged to my best friend. Enjoy this time.
    Alicia @ Bridges Through Life recently posted…Acro, Goat yoga and Sunshine: MIMM 111

Liz
    June 6, 2017 at 6:40 am

So incredibly over the moon happy for you two! Congratulations.

Juliette | Namastay Traveling
    June 6, 2017 at 6:42 am

I am beaming form ear to ear! This sounds like the most perfect engagement and I am so, so happy for you two! Sending you all the love and well wishes in the world 🙂

Lee
    June 6, 2017 at 8:35 am

I’VE NEVER BEEN MORE HAPPY IN MY ENTIRE LIFEEEEEEEE!
    Lee recently posted…Low Impact Strength Workout with Lorissa’s Kitchen!

Sam Turnbull • It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken
    June 6, 2017 at 8:55 am

Congrats love!!! So happy to see you are doing well 🙂
    Sam Turnbull • It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken recently posted…25 Game-Changing Vegan Taco Recipes

Beverley @ Born to Sweat
    June 6, 2017 at 9:10 am

you guys are my dreaaaaaaam couple!!!! so so happy for you! I like yelled out loud when i saw your photo hahaha and then i texted Bettina. You’re going to have to do a WHOLLEEEEE natural wedding series soon. i can’t wait 😉
    Beverley @ Born to Sweat recently posted…At Home Dumbbell Ab Workout

Carrie this fit chick
    June 6, 2017 at 9:38 am

I’m SO HAPPY for you two!!! What a BEAUTIFUL ring and a wonderful park to do it in! I was just at GG park this past weekend for a picnic!
    Carrie this fit chick recently posted…Recipes, Round-ups and Q+A

Caitlin P\
    June 6, 2017 at 10:00 am

GUSHING!!! I am so happy for you two amazing humans!

Jenny Z.
    June 6, 2017 at 10:16 am

Congratulations Davida! C totally nailed the proposal. Happy engagement!

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    June 6, 2017 at 10:39 am

Congratulations! That’s such exciting news and I’m so happy for you both.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Having time vs making time

Jolie
    June 6, 2017 at 10:48 am

CONGRATS!!!! So so ecstatic for you both (and Bodhi!), and what a wonderful, special moment! Much love to you all <3

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    June 6, 2017 at 10:51 am

Ahhh!!! Congratulations to both of you!!! What a wonderful engagement story and a beautiful couple. I wish you both all the best in what is to come and can’t wait to follow the journey! ❤️
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…I Ate a Whole Humble Pie This Week!

Jess Barnes
    June 6, 2017 at 11:20 am

Congratulations to you and C! That sounds like the absolute perfect and special engagement! So happy for y’all and can’t wait to follow along with the rest of your <3 story! 🙂

June 6, 2017 at 11:25 am

Congratulations. I’m super thrilled for you both. It couldn’t happen to a better couple. I had no idea the proposal was coming when it happened for me too and I think that makes it all the more special. Cheers!!

Stacie
    June 6, 2017 at 11:29 am

What an exciting time in your life! So so happy for you 🙂 Congrats!!

Erin @ Erin's Inside Job
    June 6, 2017 at 11:33 am

Yesss I was so excited when I saw this!!
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Life Lately: May 2017

Ange // Cowgirl Runs
    June 6, 2017 at 11:46 am

CONGRATULATIONS!!
    I just love all the thought put into your engagement 🙂

This is going to sound crazy creepy, but I was listening to your podcast with Erin (I’m behind) and had a passing thought wondering if you’d gotten engaged. I’m not sure if I was watching Instastories half asleep, or if I dreamed it. I have crazy vivid dreams and often can’t remember if they happened.
    Ange // Cowgirl Runs recently posted…Hello June! My Goals for the Month

Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen
    June 6, 2017 at 11:48 am

I officially teared up reading this! SO SWEET. Ugh. I love that the ordinary everyday turned into something so magical for you guys. <3 <3 <3 Can't wait to hear how the planning goes… don't let anyone fool you – it's a little bitch 😀

Erica @ Erica Finds
    June 6, 2017 at 12:12 pm

How wonderful! Love everything about how this took shape. You and C. are very lucky to have found one another. Here’s to a lifetime of happiness!
    Erica @ Erica Finds recently posted…Tried It Tuesday: SF Salt Co. Himalayan Salt #Giveaway

Kelsey
    June 6, 2017 at 12:12 pm

My eyes got a little misty reading this! The ordinary everyday factor is something that is important for me when the time comes for Matt and I to get engaged, and this is usually the only thing I tell him! To have it fit into our every day instead of being an elaborate plan makes it seem so much more special! Congratulations once again and I am excited to hear more about your plans when the time feels right to start that process. For now, enjoy your engagement! <3
    Kelsey recently posted…Stog Going At It Alone.

Heather Rutledge
    June 6, 2017 at 12:18 pm

Congratulations!! So excited to see this news and your ring is beautiful! Love is definitely in the air; my fella proposed to me a few weeks ago on a trip to Ireland and we’re in the same boat of just enjoying the time and being really happy 🙂

Cassie Autumn Tran
    June 6, 2017 at 12:19 pm

Beautiful photos, Davida! I am so happy for the two of you and your blossoming relationship and chemistry together. I think the way everything was planned was perfect–nothing too flamboyant, but the best level of intimacy and family love!
    Cassie Autumn Tran recently posted…Exercise and I: A Love Story with Complications

Amanda
    June 6, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Love love love this story! So amazing you were able to celebrate with everyone. Matt similarly proposed to me in Central Park, telling me we were just going on a walk with the dog (I also was totally shocked). Our post-engagement celebration fell apart though due to a blizzard that shut down the whole city, ha.
    Enjoy this special time! XO
    Amanda recently posted…Carmel Valley Travel Diary (+ Surrounding Exploration)

Lauroe
    June 6, 2017 at 12:51 pm

Congratulations!!! Mazel tov. All the best always.

Nicole
    June 6, 2017 at 2:14 pm

So happy for you!! Congrats! <3
    Nicole recently posted…Chickpea Veggie Fritters (Vegetarian + Vegan Options)

Diana
    June 6, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Congratulations Davida and C! Your happiness shines through!

Erin @ The Almond Eater
    June 6, 2017 at 3:28 pm

Congrats Davida!! What a perfect engagement–so happy for you two.
    Erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Summer Charcuterie Board+Choose the Table Event

Sarah @ EverydaySarahJane
    June 6, 2017 at 4:53 pm

Congrats, girl!! So exciting!
    Sarah @ EverydaySarahJane recently posted…My Favorite Frittatas

Monique Volz
    June 6, 2017 at 5:31 pm

THIS IS SO SWEET!! I’m so excited and happy for you both! <3
    Monique Volz recently posted…Sesame Garlic Grilled Sweet Potato Fries with Yogurt Curry Dip

amanda -runtothefinish
    June 6, 2017 at 7:20 pm

I’m so beyond thrilled for you, I know it’s just the perfect match and i can’t wait to see you continue to grow together!
    amanda -runtothefinish recently posted…12 Ways to Avoid Marathon Training Burnout

Nicki Boyd
    June 6, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Congrats! (Also is it corny I just realized your lil family is BCD??… anyway…) I loved reading the thoughtfulness that went into the proposal, and how you described it as so fitting for you as a couple! Involving Bodhi and parents was such an intentional touch. Props to Curt. I hope you two relish the joy of being engaged. ❤️Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca
    June 7, 2017 at 12:29 am

Congratulations! So fun to read your engagement story!

Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
    June 7, 2017 at 8:47 am

I LOVE LOVE. I LOVE WEDDINGS. I LOVE THIS POST. Congratulations! You look so unbelievably happy and having your beautiful families there surrounding you with love (and French toast) is just the sweetest. <3
    Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass recently posted…Los Angeles Recap: Santa Ynez Wine Country and Los Olivos

Grete
    June 7, 2017 at 9:32 am

Congrats!!!!
    I just stumbled upon your blog while I was looking for healthy coconut frosting recipe, but oh boy what I found – my new fave blog 🤗
    After reading your “about me” page I found out that we have sooooo much in common.. You’re totally “my person” 😉 I subscribed straight away!
    Me and my boyfriend of 6 years got engaged around 6 months ago and now we’re planning our wedding (in June 2018)… 😀
    So I’m really looking forward to your wedding-themed posts. Wait… actually all your posts, because I’m really enjoying this blog! Thank you 🙂
    Lots of love and all the best❤️

Grete from Estonia

Erin
    June 7, 2017 at 9:40 am

Such fantastic news….and I LOVE that first picture!! 🙂

Kris Kelbrants
    June 13, 2017 at 9:13 am

I am absolutely thrilled for you and C, Bods,and your beautiful families! Basque in this beautiful time and continue to create those special memories! Much love, K
    Kris Kelbrants recently posted…How to Set Your Intention for the Day

Felicia
    June 15, 2017 at 7:03 pm

Such a lovely story! I’m so happy for you!!! I know your wedding with be amazing! 🎉🎉🎉
    Felicia recently posted…How To Declutter Your Beauty Products