Live

Our Engagement Photos + My Initial Wedding Planning Thoughts

August 8, 2017

I’ve never been one of those girls who dreamed about their wedding day. It wasn’t until I met C and knew we would one day get married that I opened up to the idea. But to be honest, it’s more the idea of marriage than an actual wedding that excites me.

On so many levels, I already feel married to C (he’d say the same!) so I was definitely ready to make it official even if the piece of paper is only a formality in our already committed relationship. If you are in or have been in a long-term relationship, you know that the terms “boyfriend” and “girlfriend” just don’t cut it anymore. I’m glad we waited (6 years!) but moving onto the next step even if it changes virtually nothing about our relationship feels like the right thing to do.

So I guess you could say I had marriage fever, and not wedding fever.

After the initial excitement of getting engaged had passed it hit me that we now had to plan a wedding. And I’ll be honest, I haven’t been all that keen on it. C and I sat down to talk about what we wanted and probably threw out 20 different ideas that we’d be happy with. Everything from City Hall to a wine country extravaganza sounded ideal. But ultimately, what we’ve realized is that while we feel like we get to celebrate finding each other every single day, there are so few opportunities in life to gather all the people you love in one room and celebrate them. Even though the stress and madness of wedding planning is totally getting to me, I try to remind myself of how special it is to have such an amazing crew of people willing to celebrate with us.

That being said, C and I definitely aren’t traditionalists. If there was such thing as an opposite of bridezilla, that would be me. I’m really not caught up on the details, only that everyone attending has a really good time. Oh and that the food and drinks be decent. We’re currently in the very beginning stages of planning and trying to secure a venue (somewhere in SF for those of you wondering), but we’re set on a Spring 2018 wedding. I always thought I wanted a quick engagement, but that was before I discovered what went into planning a wedding. And I’ve tried on dresses and narrowed them down to two. I very well may flip a coin.

Throughout this process, C and I have been trying to check-in with each other and remember that at the end of the day, our wedding should be a reflection of us, even if it’s not mainstream. So for any of my recently engaged readers out there, don’t forget that the wedding should be about you and your partner. Sure, there will be some compromise, but if you want your dog to walk you down the aisle or you want to wear a purple wedding dress, I say this to you: #YOUDOYOU.

With that, I thought I’d share some pictures with you from our recent engagement shoot. By dear friend and incredibly talented photographer Bettina Bogar was in town staying with us and we couldn’t have asked anyone more perfect to do this shoot. It was not at all important to me that C and I take posed pictures in beautiful neighborhoods (again, #youdoyou), but rather we wanted to capture a moment in our life that really reflected us as we are now. So at 4:00 PM on a Friday, while C was passed out on the window seat in our bedroom, I asked B if she wanted to do the shoot. I woke C up, told him to get dressed, made some coffee to give us a little photography buzz and 2.5 hours later we were done shooting.

Like I said, we really wanted the session to capture us, so we shot around our home and then headed to Baker Beach to capture an activity that C and I do weekly: run Bodhi on the beach until he sleeps for 15 hours straight and drink beer and watch the sunset.

I cannot thank Bettina enough for shooting these for us and for the first time getting me really excited about the wedding planning process. Enjoy!

I'm sharing our engagement photos and my initial thoughts on wedding planning since we got engaged two months ago. Huge thanks to Bettina Bogar Photography for these images! I'm sharing our engagement photos and my initial thoughts on wedding planning since we got engaged two months ago. Huge thanks to Bettina Bogar Photography for these images!
I'm sharing our engagement photos and my initial thoughts on wedding planning since we got engaged two months ago. Huge thanks to Bettina Bogar Photography for these images!I'm sharing our engagement photos and my initial thoughts on wedding planning since we got engaged two months ago. Huge thanks to Bettina Bogar Photography for these images!I'm sharing our engagement photos and my initial thoughts on wedding planning since we got engaged two months ago. Huge thanks to Bettina Bogar Photography for these images!I'm sharing our engagement photos and my initial thoughts on wedding planning since we got engaged two months ago. Huge thanks to Bettina Bogar Photography for these images!

All photos courtesy of the amazingly talented Bettina Bogar – check out her portfolio here or follow her on Instagram here

* * * * *

Just a heads up that I’m going to be taking the next week or so off from all posting (here, on youtube and on the podcast). I’m off to Alaska with C and his fam and want to really recharge my batteries and spend time with the people I love. I’ll be back before you know it and until then go out and LIVE. Lots of love <3

Are you someone who’s always dreamed of planning their wedding? Who wants to plan mine?!

DON'T WANT TO MISS A LIFE UPDATE? Join the THM Community!

Erin
    August 8, 2017 at 6:57 am

Beautiful photos! And I couldn’t agree more about #youdoyou!

Alicia @ Bridges Through Life
    August 8, 2017 at 6:59 am

These are beautiful photos. I totally get how marriage just feels like the next step but you also know that nothing will change. I got engaged last year and my fiance and I have now been together about 8 years. We are probably having our wedding in 2019 since we both left our jobs last year to travel for a bit so it’s time to save money again. We are planning a small destination wedding that feels right for us. I knew I wanted to get married but I didn’t have thoughts on where and what decorations and stuff. At least at this point, I have figured out colors and a beach theme. Now it’s all about finding the right price, because wedding can get seriously expensive.
    Alicia @ Bridges Through Life recently posted…Spiedie Fest, Netflix, a BBQ and Workouts

Liz
    August 8, 2017 at 7:54 am

The ones on the window seat are absolute PERFECTION. And the one in the kitchen when he’s nuzzling your neck. It’s the little moments that mean the most… How wonderful to have a close friend who could capture those perfect moments for you two. The photos are beautiful.

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    August 8, 2017 at 8:26 am

Aww these are beautiful! I love that your pup was included. We had our pets in our photos, too. I feel ya on not wanting to do all that planning. We got married in Mexico for that exact reason! Well, that and not wanting to spend a fortune. Just us and 16 other guests, it was perfect. Happy planning!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…From 80s music to peach cobbler

Ashley | Fit Mitten Kitchen
    August 8, 2017 at 9:07 am

Okay those photos are STUNNING. Can’t get over them.
    As far as wedding planning goes, I feel ya! It can be really tough planning all of the details, plus keeping your sanity. I swear people who actually loved planning their wedding are a different kind of crazy 😜 Not sure I have any extra advice, because #youdoyou is prettty spot on!
    Have fun in Alaska!

Jaclyn
    August 8, 2017 at 9:09 am

These photos are beautiful. I love how you decided to go against the norm and captured your everyday life. If your photos are any indication then your wedding will be just as magical.
    I am not at all the girl who has thought of a wedding or put any thought into what I would want my wedding to look like. I know that I would definitely want it low-key, but more than that, no clue! I’ve been with my bf for 13 years and we live together so I feel like we are already married. When I describe him as my boyfriend to people it seems like its such a casual thing, so I should probably say partner or something haha. Ugh labels lol.

Thanks for sharing these pics! Have a great time in Alaska 🙂
    Jaclyn recently posted…Iced Matcha Latte (Dairy Free)

August 10, 2017 at 12:40 pm

UGH LABELS I know!!! It feels so bougie to say “fiance” now. I’m ready for husband haha

Deryn | Running on Real Food
    August 8, 2017 at 9:20 am

These photos are beautiful! I love them!! I loved planning my wedding, so much fun. I did everything myself and it all worked and it was a blast. It was def a #youdoyou wedding, haha. I’m not much into the traditional stuff so we just did our own thing. Enjoy the process! Can’t wait to hear more about it. Have a great time in Alaska! 🙂

Katie
    August 8, 2017 at 11:51 am

The photos are absolutely beautiful!

While I haven’t found my person yet, I was never someone who necessarily dreamed of a big and crazy wedding either. I have thought about colors/season but that’s really been about it. One of my best friends eloped this year (she warned me after getting engaged that’s what would happen), but they’re going to do a big party next year to celebrate with their friends and family. I was maid of honor in my high school best friend’s wedding a couple weeks ago and that got stressful even for me that time and made me think my other friend was pretty darn smart for eloping, even though they did it because they really just wanted a super intimate and private ceremony to read their vows.
    Katie recently posted…August 2017 Goals

Emily Winters
    August 8, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Such pretty pictures Davida! Enjoy your vacation!!
    Emily Winters recently posted…Easy Healthy Summer Snack Round Up

Kelsey
    August 8, 2017 at 1:59 pm

IN LOVE with these photos! I dream this will be our engagement photos – something more us and to capture where we were in life. Because when I look back, I want to not just remember our engagement but remember what our lives were like!
    Being with someone for (almost) 10 years means the thought of a wedding has come up frequently, especially in the last 4ish years as my friends started to get married. And I feel the same – way more excited about the marriage part of it! I think of Matt and I having just the closest people there, the ones who have been there the entire journey, and really keep it low key. I see us wearing TOMS, my dress being simple, and it being outside somewhere in Duluth. Seems like an easy list to me!

ENJOY this time off!
    Kelsey recently posted…Stop Going At It Alone.

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    August 8, 2017 at 2:10 pm

Aw, your photos are amazing!! I absolutely love how you captured your real life – at home with your pup, in the kitchen, etc. So sweet 🙂 So exicted for you girl!
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…Is Coconut Oil Going to Kill You?

Allison
    August 8, 2017 at 2:26 pm

I love your outlook on wedding planning! It can be so stressful but at the end of the day is a wonderful celebration of your relationship!!

AND for a spur of the moment photo shoot these pictures are literally editorial worthy! SO beautiful and perfect! The flawlessly beautiful photos that some people work REALLY hard to achieve!

Enjoy this time in your life and all the excitement that it brings!

Jolie
    August 8, 2017 at 2:32 pm

I LOVE these photos! They perfectly capture your relationship, your love, your home, and your family! I hear you on wedding planning – I am also recently engaged (!) my biggest concern is just having a big enough space for all our guests to dance, and that drinks are flowing and the food is remembered! The details can quickly become overwhelming, as well as finances. I think the best piece of advice I’ve gotten is to just focus on what YOU want, and don’t too caught up in what traditions, family, and social media says are necessary for a wedding ceremony/reception. It should be a reflection of you two and your love! xx

Lara @ Tiny Homes
    August 8, 2017 at 2:58 pm

These photos are really gorgeous Davida. Have a love vacation dear.
    Lara @ Tiny Homes recently posted…Free Small House Plan With 2 Bedrooms

Gretchen
    August 8, 2017 at 3:07 pm

LOVE your engagement photos. They’re simple and tasteful!
    Gretchen recently posted…Healthy Sweet Potato Breakfast Skillet

Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass
    August 8, 2017 at 3:15 pm

These pictures are beautiful! What a great idea, to capture you and C’s day-to-day life. I love how special that is! I’ve also never dreamt of my wedding. For the longest time, I envisioned myself with a partner, but never as a wife if that makes any sense at all?

Weddings are a wonderful time to gather around all of your loved ones though. I have two on my calendar during the holidays, and I am overjoyed to love on all of my friends!

Best wishes to you two!
    Kaitlyn @ Powered by Sass recently posted…Mo’ Veggies, No Problems

Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    August 8, 2017 at 3:21 pm

These photos could not have turned out any better! Bettina is super talented – I love the way she captures the light in the photos!

I dread planning a wedding haha. I know for a fact that my biggest character flaw is indecisiveness, so planning a wedding will probably be a nightmare for me. Also I’m 100% not artistic or design oriented at all, so I’ll find that part really stressful as well. But you’re totally right that it’s more about the people and just having a great time! 🙂
    Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…2017 Cook My Books Challenge: July

Marina
    August 8, 2017 at 4:48 pm

These are actually making me tear up a little. I LOVE the photos and you guys look amazing!! I think it’s incredible that you’re focused on the marriage itself, not the actual wedding. You and I are on the same page about that. That’s all that matters!! <3 Cheers to you two!

Kerry
    August 8, 2017 at 6:23 pm

The photos are wonderful! Congratulations on your engagement.

Here is my tiny bit of wedding wisdom:

One of my best memories and one of the strongest emotions I felt on the day came because I surprised my fiancée with live music as I walked down the aisle. We got married in a winery so the aisle was between the rows of vines. He had no idea where the music was coming from and then he saw the duo I’d hired walking in front of me towards him (they were an amazing clarinetist and an accordion player I discovered in a restaurant on the day I bought my wedding dress – serendipity for sure!) The look on his face I will remember it always. It was magical.

So I guess I’m saying that a wedding day surprise can be a lot of fun and super memorable. I loved having a secret to share with him on the day. We often remember that as a highlight of the day. When so much is preplanned it’s great to have an element that is a total surprise. Maybe you could both plan surprises for each other?

Looking forward to following your adventures in wedding planning 😊

Erin (eat, pray, get well)
    August 8, 2017 at 6:56 pm

What a beautiful exciting life you have in front of you! Congrats!

Jamie | A Sassy Spoon
    August 8, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Omg these photos are BEAUTIFUL!!! 😍😍😍

Kristine Soliman
    August 8, 2017 at 9:48 pm

I love the natural lighting and all the natural poses! Oh and your adorable dog too! I know that this may sound insane but I wish I got to plan my wedding again. My husband and I did a lot of the planning and creating. If we had to do it again though, we probably would do more delegating.

Hillary
    August 9, 2017 at 7:51 pm

Your SF apartment looks so cozy!! And I love the engagement photos at the beach. Enjoy your Alaskan vacation!

Nicole @ Laughing My Abs Off
    August 9, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Awwwwww my heart!!! I absolutely adore these photos because they look so so candid. A lot of times, engagement photos are beautiful but really do look posed. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I feel like these photos capture your relationship in a beautiful but realistic and relaxed way, which puts the focus on your love and not on the actual concept of engagement photos. Can’t wait for more wedding details (I get so super excited when my fave bloggers are getting married 😉 ) and have an awesome and restful Alaskan vacation! <3
    Nicole @ Laughing My Abs Off recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday: Rainy Days and Sleepless Nights

Miss Polkadot
    August 12, 2017 at 5:08 pm

Awwr. Way to melt my romantic heart. All of the pictures are amazing both in their natural non-posed style and Bettina’s skills. She seems like a truly talented photographer. My favourites are the ones of you on the window sill [which, by the way, I’m jealous of]. You’re such a sweet little family of three with Bodhi boy.
    While I haven’t had to plan a wedding before ;), I feel similarly to you. It doesn’t change anything about the already wonderful relationship and should be about the time with loved ones. Just like I don’t see the point in brides dieting for their wedding when it’s all about the start of a life with a man who fell in love with them just the way they are. Okay, I’m rambling here. Enjoy your time away!

Esther Diaz
    August 15, 2017 at 3:32 am

You look beautiful! Plus, the photos are stunning. <3

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    August 15, 2017 at 11:04 am

Davida, your photos are amazing! And you know why? Bercause they all look natural and show the deep harmony, love and same wavelength that you two (and of course Bodhi ;-p) share! Wonderful photos to commemorate this exciting event with your everyday life settings and scenes *love*

ps. And of course have fun in Alaska, can’t wait to see photos! 🙂

Sharnette
    August 26, 2017 at 9:23 am

Your photos are really beautiful and I wish you all the best in your relationship and soon to be marriage. Your happiness is shining through. Also the new web is awesome!

Caryl Anne
    August 29, 2017 at 10:12 am

These photos are stunning. I absolutely love photos taken within the comfort of the couple’s home. You get to see their own love story, which is absolutely beautiful. Congrats on your engagement!
    Caryl Anne recently posted…Bows and Ruffles Baby Session

Selena Sharpless
    August 30, 2017 at 11:05 am

Oh my goodness Davida these photos are stunning and I am so happy for you on your engagement! Following along on your journey has been such a treat and I love how genuinely real and happy you all are in these pictures 🙂

And also side note, your home is gorgeous! Love that down-to-earth and genuine (once again!) vibe it all has. Please tell me where you got all your pillows/bedding and bed pillows! Love!!

Hayden Stewart
    September 25, 2017 at 5:30 pm

These are great, natural photos. So often engagement pictures seem unrealistic, these are great!

Elizabeth
    October 14, 2017 at 3:44 pm

Congratulations on your engagement. Lovely photos of you both! Love your dog too.