Wake up the right way with this Caramelized Onion, Broccoli and Spinach Frittata. Made with organic onions, broccoli and mighty spinach, this frittata will hit the spot for a quick weekday breakfast or weekend brunch.
I am a full blown breakfast lover. I eat breakfast foods at all times of the day… it’s easily my favorite meal! I have always loved savory egg dishes but this combination might be my new favorite.
The caramelized onion is slightly sweet, paired with the vibrant broccoli and spinach makes for a perfect flavor combination in every bite! Bonus points for this dish being packed with protein thanks to the eggs.
Here’s What You Need
- broccoli – about 1-2 crowns of broccoli or 1 bunch of baby broccoli.
- onion – any type of onion works!
- mighty spinach – any spinach works but I love this blend from Earthbound Farm.
- eggs – I always prefer using full eggs but you can do a combination of eggs and egg whites if you’d like.
- salt – to taste.
- olive oil, butter or ghee – for sautéing the vegetables.
How to Make a Veggie-Packed Frittata
STEP 1: Start by prepping your vegetables. Chop the broccoli into bite sized pieces and slice your onions.
STEP 2: Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, ghee or butter to the skillet. Once the fat is melted, add the onions and a good pinch of salt and turn the heat to medium low. Cook until the onions are golden and caramelized.
STEP 3: Place broccoli into a heat proof bowl and pour boiling water over the broccoli florets. Cover with a plate for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
STEP 4: Add the drained broccoli to the caramelized onions with another good pinch of salt. Add in the box of greens and cook until it is all wilted.
STEP 5: Whisk 10 eggs with 2 good pinches of salt. Once all of the greens are wilted, add the eggs to the skillet and gently stir to evenly distribute the vegetables.
STEP 6: Turn up the heat to medium high and cook for about 5 minutes.
STEP 7: Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook at 350ºF until the frittata is set – about 15 minutes.
What to Serve with Frittata
This recipe is a meal in it’s own but if you’re making it for a fancy brunch or want to pair it with other foods, here’s what I recommend:
- Zucchini Banana Bread – can’t go wrong with this sweet quick bread!
- Morning Glory Muffins – these hearty muffins are delicious with an egg-based main dish.
- Tahini Date and Cinnamon Smoothie – the perfect smoothie drink to pair with this meal!
- Lemon Raspberry Chia Pudding – enjoy this refreshing side.
Caramelized Onion, Broccoli and Spinach Frittata
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 large slices 1x
- ½ lb broccoli (about 1–2 crowns of broccoli or 1 bunch of baby broccoli), chopped
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 box of mighty spinach (5 oz)
- 10 eggs
- salt, to taste
- Olive oil, butter or ghee for cooking
- Prep your vegetables and place the broccoli into a heat proof bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat an oven safe 10” skillet (preferably nonstick or cast iron) over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of olive, ghee or butter (or a mix) to skillet.
- Once the fat is melted add the onions and a good pinch of salt and turn the heat to medium low.
- Cook the onions, stirring every few minutes, until they are golden and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour boiling water over the broccoli and cover with a plate for about 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli and set aside.
- Once the onions are very fragrant, golden and soft, add the broccoli and another good pinch of salt.
- Next add in the box of greens and cook until it is all wilted.
- Meanwhile, whisk 10 eggs with 2 good pinches of salt.
- Once all the greens are wilted add the eggs into the skillet and stir gently to evenly distribute the vegetables.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and cook for about 5 minutes until the bottom is golden.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the frittata is set, about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into desired slices. Serve immediately.
Like this post? Here are a few other egg recipes you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!