Wake up the right way with this Caramelized Onion, Broccoli and Spinach Frittata. Made with organic onions, broccoli and mighty spinach, this frittata will hit the spot for a quick weekday breakfast or weekend brunch.
I am a full blown breakfast lover. I eat breakfast foods at all times of the day… it’s easily my favorite meal! I have always loved savory egg dishes but this combination might be my new favorite.
The caramelized onion is slightly sweet, paired with the vibrant broccoli and spinach makes for a perfect flavor combination in every bite! Bonus points for this dish being packed with protein thanks to the eggs.
Here’s What You Need
- broccoli – about 1-2 crowns of broccoli or 1 bunch of baby broccoli.
- onion – any type of onion works!
- mighty spinach – any spinach works but I love this blend from Earthbound Farm.
- eggs – I always prefer using full eggs but you can do a combination of eggs and egg whites if you’d like.
- salt – to taste.
- olive oil, butter or ghee – for sautéing the vegetables.
How to Make a Veggie-Packed Frittata
STEP 1: Start by prepping your vegetables. Chop the broccoli into bite sized pieces and slice your onions.
STEP 2: Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil, ghee or butter to the skillet. Once the fat is melted, add the onions and a good pinch of salt and turn the heat to medium low. Cook until the onions are golden and caramelized.
STEP 3: Place broccoli into a heat proof bowl and pour boiling water over the broccoli florets. Cover with a plate for about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
STEP 4: Add the drained broccoli to the caramelized onions with another good pinch of salt. Add in the box of greens and cook until it is all wilted.
STEP 5: Whisk 10 eggs with 2 good pinches of salt. Once all of the greens are wilted, add the eggs to the skillet and gently stir to evenly distribute the vegetables.
STEP 6: Turn up the heat to medium high and cook for about 5 minutes.
STEP 7: Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook at 350ºF until the frittata is set – about 15 minutes.
What to Serve with Frittata
This recipe is a meal in it’s own but if you’re making it for a fancy brunch or want to pair it with other foods, here’s what I recommend:
- Zucchini Banana Bread – can’t go wrong with this sweet quick bread!
- Morning Glory Muffins – these hearty muffins are delicious with an egg-based main dish.
- Tahini Date and Cinnamon Smoothie – the perfect smoothie drink to pair with this meal!
- Lemon Raspberry Chia Pudding – enjoy this refreshing side.
Caramelized Onion, Broccoli and Spinach Frittata
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 large slices 1x
- ½ lb broccoli (about 1–2 crowns of broccoli or 1 bunch of baby broccoli), chopped
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 1 box of mighty spinach (5 oz)
- 10 eggs
- salt, to taste
- Olive oil, butter or ghee for cooking
- Prep your vegetables and place the broccoli into a heat proof bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat an oven safe 10” skillet (preferably nonstick or cast iron) over medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of olive, ghee or butter (or a mix) to skillet.
- Once the fat is melted add the onions and a good pinch of salt and turn the heat to medium low.
- Cook the onions, stirring every few minutes, until they are golden and caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour boiling water over the broccoli and cover with a plate for about 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli and set aside.
- Once the onions are very fragrant, golden and soft, add the broccoli and another good pinch of salt.
- Next add in the box of greens and cook until it is all wilted.
- Meanwhile, whisk 10 eggs with 2 good pinches of salt.
- Once all the greens are wilted add the eggs into the skillet and stir gently to evenly distribute the vegetables.
- Turn up the heat to medium high and cook for about 5 minutes until the bottom is golden.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the frittata is set, about 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into desired slices. Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Earthbound Farm. I am a 2019 ambassador however all opinions expressed are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands who help make THM possible! To learn more about Earthbound Farm and the incredible variety of organic produce they grow, visit their site here.
Like this post? Here are a few other egg recipes you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!