Chocolate meets coffee in these Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Your ultimate indulgences just got a healthy makeover with these gluten-free, vegan and paleo cookies.
Where are my coffee lovers at? Is your morning cup of joe the reason you get out of bed in the morning? I used to be fully obsessed with my morning coffee ritual. Unfortunately, since then I’ve had to cut back on coffee which makes my heart sad but my skin happy.
But that doesn’t mean I need to withhold delicious coffee recipes from you! What if I told you that you could have your coffee and eat it too? Yes, my friends, I have given all of you coffee-freaks the best and healthiest cookies that taste like a mocha party in your mouth. Because the only thing better than coffee is chocolate + coffee.
Double Chocolate Espresso Cookie Ingredients
- Almond butter – look for drippy almond butter. If needed, you can add the hot espresso to the almond butter and whip until a thinner consistency is reached.
- Strong espresso – see notes below on how to make espresso if you don’t have an espresso machine.
- Ground flaxseed
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Coconut sugar
- Baking soda
- Sea salt
- Chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
How to Make Espresso
If you have an espresso machine you’re set! If you don’t, you may be wondering how you can make espresso at home. Here are two simple ways to make espresso without a machine.
Make Espresso in Your French Press – Add 2 tablespoons of finely ground espresso beans to your French press. Heat 1 cup of water and add to the French press with the grounds. Place the cover on the French press and allow it to sit for four minutes. After brewing, press the plunger down steadily and then pour out the espresso!
Make Instant Espresso – If you’re striking out on what you need to make espresso at home, don’t worry! You can make instant espresso and these cookies will still be delicious, promise. Simply mix instant espresso with hot water.
How to Make Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies
STEP 1: Combine the almond butter and espresso in a large bowl. Stir in the flaxseed, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda and sea salt until it all comes together. Stir in the chocolate chips.
STEP 2: If the mixture is a little wet (this will depend on your almond butter), place the batter in the fridge for 30 minutes to set up.
STEP 3: Roll the dough into 1 tablespoon sized balls and flatten with your palm after placing on the cookie sheet.
STEP 4: Bake at 350ºF for 10-12 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool on the sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Store Homemade Cookies
After allowing the cookies to cool completely, store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days. I’m sure they would freeze well if you need to store them longer!Print
Dark Chocolate Espresso Cookies
Chocolate meets coffee in these Double Chocolate Espresso Cookies. Your ultimate indulgences just got a healthy makeover in these vegan, gluten-free and paleo cookies.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 15 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Diet: Vegan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine almond butter and espresso.
- Stir in flax, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking soda and sea salt until it all comes together.
- Stir in chocolate.
- If mixture is a little wet (this will depend on your almond butter), place batter in fridge for 30 mins to set.
- Roll dough into 1 tbsp sized balls and flatten with palm directly onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 mins. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 10 mins before removing from sheet. This step is important, do not attempt to remove them from the sheet before 10 mins is up.
- Remove from sheet and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
*You want your almond butter to be drippy with the oil well-integrated. Some almond butters are thicker so you may want to add the hot espresso to the almond butter and whip it to get a creamier consistency.
Keywords: chocolate espresso cookies, vegan chocolate espresso cookies, vegan espresso cookies, vegan chocolate cookies
Like this post? Here are more cookie recipes to try:
- Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Peppermint Chocolate Cookies
- Grain-Free Double Chocolate Cookies
- Paleo Peppermint Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
- Grain-Free Chocolate Cranberry Cookies
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!