A recipe for healthier ginger molasses cookies, made with unrefined coconut sugar, light on the butter and a zesty spice mix. Sub gluten-free flour for a gluten-free alternative or keep regular for an equally delicious cookie recipe.
Oh hey there. Remember me? It’s okay if you don’t. It’s been a while since we last spoke and I won’t be offended if you consciously (or unconsciously) blocked me from your mind in the interim.
But let’s be honest, you probably didn’t notice. There was a time in my life when I genuinely believed that if I took one day off from blogging, you would all forget THM existed. Luckily I got over that fear and taking a break from blogging is not the challenge it used to be.
I’m grateful that I’ve learned to relax and not let this whole blogging gig take over my life, but then a 5 day break turns into a 10 days break, turns into a 2 week break and suddenly your motivation to show up seems non-existent.
And other times it’s less about motivation, and more about life. Like when you leave on a 7 day road trip, only to total your car on day 1, completely rejig your plan, end up in two massive snowstorms and find yourself recovering with a 4-day Thanksgiving bonanza. It’s in these moments that you have to accept that the best decision is to give yourself some grace and trust that your entire creative outlet and business won’t crumble despite having zero plan in place to help it thrive.
So these Healthier Ginger Molasses Cookies are my way of saying sorry and thank you. Sorry for being MIA when you counted on me to show up. And thank you for being kind to me when for lack of a better phrase- shit hits the fan.
They’re basically a mini version of the Starbucks Ginger Molasses Cookies, but lighter on the butter and sugar but not lacking on flavor. They work perfectly with gluten-free flour, but if you’re not GF, regular flour works great too. Feeling thankful to Starbucks for redefining the ultimate ginger molasses cookies, to the kitchen I have access to, to recreate my healthier version at home, and you guys for just being plain awesome. Enjoy!Print
Healthier Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 20-24 cookies
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (reserve 1/4 cup for rolling)
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour (I used gluten-free*)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- pinch of cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Combine butter and 1/2 cup coconut sugar.
- Add in molasses and egg and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and spices.
- Add wet ingredients to dry until well combined.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup coconut sugar to a bowl.
- Roll dough into 20-24 balls and roll each one in coconut sugar.
- Place on baking sheet and flatten firmly with palm.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes (8 for softer cookies and 10 for crispy).
- Repeat until all cookies have been baked (about 12 per tray)
- Let cool on sheet for 5 mins before removing to cool on a wire rack.
- Will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
*if using regular flour, decrease quantity by a 1/4 cup (i.e. 1 3/4 cup flour)
Favorite holiday cookie? What are your tips for when life gets the best of you?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!