Rushed for dinner but still want a healthy meal? This Easy Hoisin Garlic Salmon is quick, simple and pairs perfectly with my one-pot coconut rice. For a full meal add some sautéed garlic green beans on the side.
Want to know the one thing I miss about living in California? The fact that there was always something in bloom. I became a diva about my produce and miss having endless seasonal, local produce to play with in the kitchen!
Now we live in Minnesota and know what it’s like to eat frozen strawberries 10 months of the year and squash as your main source of vegetables during these cold winter months. It’s important to embrace your culture and get creative, but also celebrate when the seasons turn and more variety appears. Unlike California, there is some excitement when berry season, or asparagus season or peach season arrives!
This simple recipe is perfect for any time of year and comes together in under an hour. It’s become one of our go-to’s!
Here’s What You Need
- salmon fillets – if you can find and afford it, wild salmon is the best option. Having said that, all salmon is beneficial to include in your diet to eat what you can!
- hoisin garlic marinade – for the salmon marinade and to flavor the beans a bit! Any hoisin sauce works but I used Soy Vay which has been my go-to since childhood!
- short grain brown rice – any type of rice works!
- full-fat coconut milk – I recommend canned full fat coconut milk for this recipe.
- green beans – prep the beans by trimming the ends. You can swap the green beans for seasonal produce if you’d like.
- olive oil – to sauté the green beans in. Avocado oil also works.
- garlic cloves – add another layer of flavor to the green beans with some minced garlic.
- salt and pepper – to taste.
How to Make Hoisin Garlic Salmon with Coconut Rice
STEP 1: Place the salmon filets in a shallow bowl and coat with the marinade. Set aside for at least 10 minutes. I like to do this step first while I prep the rest of the ingredients.
STEP 2: Cook the rice as you normally would but use coconut milk in place of the water.
STEP 3: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat for easy clean up. Place the marinated salmon on the baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for 10-12 minutes or until done to your liking.
STEP 4: While the salmon is cooking, make your green beans. Add the olive oil and garlic to a pan over medium high heat and cook for 1-2 minute or until the garlic has browned. Add the green beans and sauté for 2 minutes. Cover the pan and let stand for 2 minutes. Add the marinade and stir to combine. Cover once more and stand for 3 more minutes.
STEP 5: Plate up the salmon, coconut rice and green beans and enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-5 days. I recommend reheating the salmon in a conventional oven or toaster oven for best results.Print
Easy Hoisin Garlic Salmon and Coconut Rice
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
For the Salmon:
- 2 large salmon fillets
- 1/2 cup Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic Marinade
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the Coconut Rice:
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice (or rice of preference)
- 1 13.5 ounce can of full-fat coconut milk
- salt, to taste
For the Garlic Green Beans:
- 4 cups of green beans, ends trimmed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp Soy Vay Hoisin Garlic Marinade
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the salmon:
- Place salmon in a shallow bowl and coat with marinade.
- Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes or longer.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until done to liking.
- Remove from heat and serve.
For the rice:
- Cook rice as you normally would, using coconut milk in place of water.
- Time varies according to type of rice but for short grain brown I add coconut milk and rice to a pot and bring to a boil, I cover the pot and lower to a simmer for 30 minutes before removing to let stand for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve.
For the garlic green beans:
- Add olive oil and garlic to a pan over medium high heat and cook for 1-2 minutes or until brown.
- Add green beans and saute for 2 minutes.
- Cover pan with a lid or tin foil and let stand for 2 minutes.
- Remove lid and add marinade and stir to combine.
- Cover again and let stand for 3 more minutes.
- Green beans should be done and ready to serve.
Here are more salmon recipes to try:
- Fresh Salmon Burgers with Tangy Yogurt Sauce
- Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon
- Easy Baked Chimichurri Salmon
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
Mike DorfmanMarch 24, 2022 at 3:49 am
Great recipe and healthy also to eat, what are the nutrition value that it provides?
Albert RezaJuly 9, 2018 at 5:09 am
I’m thinking of cooking something special for my mom. I’m really not that into cooking so I want something that’s not so hard to do. This is perfect! Simple but special. Thanks for sharing this recipe 🙂
Kimberly BaxterMay 23, 2018 at 4:38 am
Made this twice now. It’s so good!!! Looking forward to more posts.
Davida @ The Healthy MavenJune 6, 2018 at 3:32 pm
So happy to hear you’ve enjoyed!
George OldfieldMay 1, 2018 at 6:11 am
After reading through your blog, I fell in love with fact that you are providing this nutritional advice to other people, in order for them improve their health, and more. Therefore I leave you with a site that will benefit your viewers even more.
C.T.April 23, 2018 at 8:46 am
I absolutely adore your blog posts! They’re so inspirational! I love what you do, and the things you post is exactly the kind of things I’m interested in. ❤️
Davida @ The Healthy MavenApril 23, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Aw that makes me so happy to hear!