You’re in for a treat! Jess came up with a ridiculously good fresh salmon burger recipe for you that I can’t wait to share! I am a huge burger fan but I like to switch it up! Beef burgers, chicken burgers and now salmon burgers. We got you covered. Better yet, we have TWO different flavor variations for you: Dill Salmon Burgers (with lemon) and Cilantro Salmon Burgers (with lime). There’s something for everybody. So let’s jump into the best salmon burger recipe…
How to Make Salmon Burgers
We are giving you two variations of this salmon burger recipe: Lemon Dill Salmon Burgers or Cilantro Lime Salmon Burgers. You can’t go wrong with either so pick one this week and make the other next week!
STEP 1: The first step is to make a paste by blending 1/4 of the fresh salmon with 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard in a food processor. The end result will be a gummy texture that acts as the glue that holds the burgers together.
STEP 2: Add the rest of the salmon to the food processor along with the rest of the ingredients (depending on which flavor you’re making!). Pulse around 10 times or until the herbs are evenly distributed throughout and you are left with a chunky mixture.
STEP 3: Form into four patties and place in the fridge to set for 20-30 minutes.
STEP 4: When you’re ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden, about 3 minutes per side.
Serve with buns or as lettuce wraps and add any toppings you like! Pro tip: the cilantro lime salmon burger is delicious with pickled onion and tangy cumin yogurt sauce.
Tangy Yogurt Sauce
We decided to pair this salmon burger recipe with a yogurt sauce because I’m always in the pro-sauce camp. It takes two seconds to mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl and pairs super well with the salmon! It’s tangy, citrusy, savory and creamy… so good. Obviously it’s great with these salmon burgers but is also delicious with french fries, roasted veggies, roasted fish or you can add more oil to the mix to thin it out to use as salad dressing. Definitely worth making!
What Do You Eat With Salmon Burgers?
I know some might think salmon patties might be weird but trust me on this! They’re not at all. Jess and I paired these this salmon burger recipe with a tangy yogurt sauce, greens and a bun and they were delicious! They would also be great with a slaw or just on their own with roasted veggies. Here are some recipe side ideas for these fresh salmon burgers:
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Maple Dijon Carrots
- Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Crispy Baked French Fries
Can you use Canned Salmon?
Since I knew you would ask this question, we did the testing for you and YES you can use canned salmon in this salmon burger recipe. You can use the same amount of canned for fresh (1 1/4 lbs), however you will need to adjust the recipe slightly – start with less dijon and lemon juice and check consistency. Add more as needed.Print
Fresh Salmon Burgers with Tangy Yogurt Sauce
Change up your burger game with two delicious recipes for fresh salmon burgers. Dill salmon burgers and cilantro salmon burgers the whole family will love.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 1 1/4 lbs of salmon, skinned and deboned
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
Lemon and Dill Burgers:
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2–3/4 tsp salt
Cilantro Lime Burgers:
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Zest of 2 limes
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/2–3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
Tangy Cumin Yogurt Sauce:
- 5–6 ounces of whole plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Salmon Burgers:
- In a food processor blend ¼ of the salmon with 1 teaspoon dijon mustard until a paste forms – it will have a weird gummy texture but you want this as it will be the glue that holds the burgers together.
- Add the rest of the salmon to the food processor in chunks along with the rest of the ingredients depending on what version you are making.
- Pulse until you have a chunky mixture with the herbs and lemon/lime evenly distributed throughout, about 10 pulses.
- Form into four patties and place in the fridge to set for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook your salmon patties in a couple of teaspoons of oil for 3 minutes per side.
- Serve with buns or lettuce wraps and any toppings you want.
For the Tangy Yogurt Sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Enjoy on veggie bowls, burgers, as a dipping sauce for fries and roasted veggies, over roasted fish or thinned out with extra oil for a creamy, tangy salad dressing.
Like this recipe? Here are more salmon recipes you might enjoy:
- Easy Baked Chimichurri Salmon
- Easy Hoisin Garlic Salmon
- Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon
- Thai Salmon Salad
- Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!