Whip up this Easy Baked Chimichurri Salmon for a delicious and nutritious weeknight dinner or weekend family meal. All you need is fresh salmon and herbs and 20 minutes for this perfectly cooked and fresh salmon recipe.
Does anyone else feel like they’re doing something really good for their body when they eat salmon? Just me? Well I happen to know I’m not the only one because Jess and I had this exact conversation while whipping up this Easy Baked Chimichurri Salmon. There’s something so healthfully indulgent about biting into a piece of fresh wild-caught salmon. I can literally feel my skin glowing from all the healthy fats.
Pair the ridiculously healthy salmon with a refreshing, herb chimichurri sauce and it’s basically my dream dinner. I could eat this chimichurri sauce on pretty much any protein or vegetable… it’s light and tangy and really that good!
Why is Salmon so good for you?
Salmon is super high in omega 3 fatty acids which are also known as essential fatty acids. “Essential” means that we must consume these from our diet – our body does not make them! Salmon is a great source of protein and packed with B vitamins which help with inflammation throughout the body as well as heart and brain health.
There are two main categories of salmon: farm-raised and wild-caught. Don’t be fooled by the term “farm-raised”! This typically means that the salmon was raised in an aquatic farm… not in the wild. Wild-caught salmon is, you guessed it, caught in the wild! Basically the free-range, healthiest, happiest salmon. It’s better for the environment and better for you!
What is Chimichurri Sauce?
Chimichurri sauce originated in Argentina. Traditionally, it is made from just chopped herbs and vinegar but we spiced it up a notch and added olive oil and lime juice. You can use this sauce as a marinade or a topping to pretty much any protein or vegetable. The olive oil may harden a bit in the fridge but just take it out and in about 10-20 minutes it will thaw and you can use on whatever you want! This recipe makes more than enough chimichurri for multiple meals so feel free to meal prep some salmon for the week or marinate chicken, veggies or even add to your salad dressing.
Pairings for this Chimichurri Salmon
I love pairing this chimichurri salmon with some healthy sides to build out a full meal. Fortunately there’s plenty from the THM archives but here are a few we recommend:
- Roasted Potatoes
- Kale Tahini Salad
- Orange Radicchio Salad
- Chimichurri Grilled Corn
- Pesto Smashed Potatoes
- Wild Rice Stuffed Portobellos
Easy Baked Chimichurri Salmon
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: Serves 2 1x
- 1 lb wild caught salmon
- ½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp shallot (about ½ a shallot), finely minced
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- juice from ½ lime
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly coat your salmon with olive oil and a few good pinches of salt.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and roast in the oven for 12-15 minutes, longer for thicker pieces of fish.
- While the salmon roasts make the chimichurri.
- Finely chop all your herbs and the shallot. Add the herbs, shallot, vinegar, lime juice and olive oil to a bowl and add a couple pinches of salt. Stir to combine and taste, set aside. The measurements do not need to be so precise here, so taste the sauce and add more salt, acid or herbs to your liking.
- To serve, spoon the chimichurri over the salmon once it’s done baking.
*This chimichurri is delicious with pretty much any type of fish, chicken, meat, beans, potatoes, eggs…literally anything and everything!
Like this recipe? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
- Easy Hoison Garlic Salmon
- Honey Mustard Grilled Salmon
- Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon
- 3-Ingredient Salmon
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!