This page contains some affiliate links. Please review my disclosure policy.
This Simple Kale Tahini Salad makes the perfect dinner base or side dish for a quick and healthy weekday meal. Pair it with some protein or eat it on the side for a healthy dose of greens.
Why Make This Salad:
It’s not a hard sell on why you’ll want to make this kale salad. Not only is it healthy, but it actually tastes delicious!
- It’s Healthy – I mean it’s a kale salad amIright?! Kale provides plenty of fiber and folate and the creamy tahini dressing contains sesame seeds which are loaded with iron!
- It’s Fast – Other than massaging the kale which requires a bit of elbow grease, this kale tahini salad comes together quickly.
- It Keeps – unlike most salads, this kale salad will actually keep in the fridge. Kale is a hearty green that holds up and won’t wilt like most salads.
- It Tastes Great – Kale paired with this creamy lemon tahini has delicious flavor with a little crunch from pepitas and sweetness from cherries.
- Kale – you can use regular curly kale or tuscan kale (also known as lacinato kale). Either will work.
- Lemon – Not only does it add flavor but it also contains vitamin C which can help boost iron absorption from kale leaves (source). Lemon is also used in the dressing.
- Olive oil – I like using extra virgin olive oil. Olive oil + lemon juice are used to massage kale to make it easier to digest.
- Sea salt – feel free to adjust to sodium preferences.
- Dried cherries – I love the taste of dried cherries but feel free to swap them in place for other dried fruit like cranberries or raisins.
- Pumpkin seeds – sometimes called pepitas.
- Tahini – effectively ground up sesame seed paste. It gives this kale salad a creamy taste but it’s still dairy-free!
- Garlic – ideally use freshly minced garlic.
- Maple Syrup – adds some sweetness to the dressing. You could also use honey if you aren’t vegan.
How to Make Kale Tahini Salad:
Just a few simple steps are required to make this kale tahini salad!
- Assemble salad – Prep kale and add to a large mixing bowl with lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt. Massage liquid until kale until it has completely wilted. This will take around 3-5 mins. Top salad with dried cherries and pumpkin seeds.
- Make dressing – In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients for tahini dressing. Toss salad with tahini dressing and serve.
Easy Swaps + Substitutions:
Add protein – You could always turn this kale salad into a complete meal by adding a protein. Rotisserie chicken, grilled steak or even crispy chickpeas are all great additions.
Add in veggies – I consider this kale tahini salad a base so feel free to add in any other veggies you prefer e.g. cucumbers, bell peppers or even roasted butternut squash!
Use fresh fruit – you can always substitute the dried cherries with fresh fruit. Pomegranate seeds, chopped apples, pears etc…
Add cheese – this salad is technically vegan but if you wanted to add some cheese, I highly recommend it! Parmesan cheese or even feta are great additions.
I personally prefer eating this kale tahini salad fresh, but what’s great about kale is that its texture holds up quite well even after storing.
I find it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days in an airtight container. For best results avoid dressing before storing leftovers but if you’ve already pre-dressed it, it will usually keep for 1-2 days.
More Healthy Salad Recipes
- Green Bean Salad
- Spring Mix Salad
- BBQ Chicken Salad
- Tomato Burrata Salad
- Grilled Asparagus Salad
- Fall Butternut Squash Salad
Simple Kale Tahini Salad
This Kale Tahini Salad makes the perfect dinner base or side dish for a quick and healthy weekday meal. Pair it with some protein or eat it on the side for a healthy dose of greens.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 0 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Raw
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 heads kale
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup dried cherries (or any dried fruit)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- Remove kale from stem and cut into small pieces.
- Add to a large bowl and top with lemon juice, olive oil and sea salt.
- Massage liquid until kale until it has completely wilted. This will take around 3-5 minutes.
- Top with dried cherries and pumpkin seeds.
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients for tahini dressing.
- Pour tahini dressing onto salad and toss to combine.