Change up your usual spring salad with this veggie-packed grilled asparagus salad. Made with just a few simple ingredients but loaded with smokey and delicious flavor for a new side dish or main meal.
The Best Asparagus Salad!
We’ve been grilling up a storm around here now that the weather has warmed up and we actually have a backyard. I’m definitely the grill master of this family so dinners lately have been throwing everything on the grill for a full meal.
I really can’t say enough good things about this asparagus salad. You toss your asparagus onto the grill which brings out the amazing smokey taste and then mix the rest in a big bowl for a refreshing spring salad recipe.
Many asparagus salad recipes require a vegetable peeler or blanching your asparagus in a large pot and then cooling it in a bowl of ice water. Not this recipe! You can throw your asparagus spears onto the grill and basically forget about them. It’s fairly hands off and brings out the natural flavor of asparagus. Trust me, you’ll love it!
Ingredients in Asparagus Salad
- Asparagus Stalks – chop off the thick stems but leave the remaining spears in tact.
- Shaved Parmesan -or other cheese like feta cheese or goat cheese.
- Pistachios – ideally toasted to bring out the flavor. You could also use a different nut or seed like pine nuts or pecans.
- Fresh Lemon Juice – you’ll juice half a lemon or add more if you’d like.
- Olive oil – ideally extra virgin olive oil but use what you have.
- Salt and Black Pepper – add more or less to taste
That’s it! The natural and fresh flavors of this grilled asparagus salad really come through so no need to be fussy with extra ingredients. It’s also fully gluten-free!
How to Grill Asparagus
Grilling asparagus is actually super easy! I love grilling asparagus because it cooks so quickly and really brings out the flavor in boring old asparagus. There are a few tips and tricks but honestly, it’s hard to mess up.
- Set grill to medium high heat (you want it at least 400 degrees F)
- In a baking dish, drizzle asparagus with olive oil and ensure it is well coated.
- Place asparagus directly onto the grill and cook for about 3 minutes (close top for the 3 minutes to let asparagus steam and cook through)
- Open top and flip asparagus. They should be done after another 2-3 minutes. Asparagus should be crisp tender and slightly charred.
- Remove asparagus from grill and allow to cool before cutting into pieces for your grilled asparagus salad
How to Make Asparagus Salad
Once your asparagus is grilled and cooled, chop into bite-sized pieces. Add to a large bowl and top with parmesan, pistachios, lemon juice, salt and pepper. If desired you can also add an additional drizzle of olive oil. Feel free to mix in any other veggies you like including red onion, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, avocado or fresh herbs.
What to Pair With Asparagus Salad:
While this grilled asparagus salad can certainly be a complete meal on its own, I like to have it as a side with a main dish. Here are a couple of options for both veggie and meat entrees to pair with this salad.
- Fresh Salmon Burgers
- Tandoori Chicken Kabobs
- Moroccan Lamb Burgers
- Black Bean Zucchini Burgers
- Coffee-Rubbed Strip Steak
More Salad Recipes
- Orange Radicchio Salad
- Pacifica Salad
- Peach and Halloumi Salad
- Chinese-Inspired Chicken Salad
- Detox Kale Salad
As always, if you make this asparagus salad recipe I would love if you left a 5-star review in the comments! It just helps other people discover this grilled asparagus salad and know that it tastes great!Print
Grilled Asparagus Salad
Change up your usual summer salad with this flavor-packed grilled asparagus salad. Simple ingredients but loaded with smokey and delicious flavor!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: sides
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 bunches of asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup parmesan, thinly sliced or shaved
- 1/3 cup pistachios*
- juice, 1/2 lemon
- optional: arugula, basil, parsley etc..
- Set grill to medium-high and close top to allow heat to rise.
- Place asparagus in a large shallow dish and drizzle with all the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place asparagus directly on the grill once it has reached at last 400 degrees F.
- Close top and allow asparagus to cook directly on the grill for 3 minutes.
- Open top and flip asparagus cooking with the top open for 2-3 minutes. Check in on it frequently to make sure it gets charred but doesn’t fully burn.
- Return asparagus to same dish you used for drizzling and allow to cook directly in dish (at least 10 minutes). This will give it an additional coating of olive oil if there’s any remaining.
- Once cool, chop asparagus into 2 inches pieces and add to a large bowl.
- Top with parmesan, pistachios and any other greens or herbs you want to add.
- Squeeze half of lemon directly onto salad and mix to stir everything together.
- Serve at room temperature or cold from the fridge.
- Will keep in fridge for up to 3 days.
*I like to toast my pistachios on the stovetop for a few minutes to bring out the flavor.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!