Delicious and juicy homemade jalapeno turkey burgers made with lean ground turkey, spices and pepper jack cheddar cheese for a flavor-packed dinner or BBQ meal.
Some of you might find this interesting (or not!) but I didn’t eat red meat from the ages of 8 to 21. I downright refused and though I’m sure it perplexed my family, they were surprisingly accommodating. When burger night came around and everyone was chowing down on their beef hamburgers I was enjoying my equally as delicious turkey burger.
Though I started to eat red meat again at 21, I still to this today prefer a turkey burger over a hamburger. We also don’t cook red meat at home (for environmental reasons) so these jalapeno turkey burgers have become our jam! I’ve been tweaking this recipe for a while and I’m thrilled that I finally mastered it. Expect to see it on upcoming Sunday meal plans!
What You Need
- Lean ground turkey: I prefer 93-94% lean ground turkey breast
- 1 large egg
- Pepper jack cheddar cheese: Buy a block so you can shred for inside the burgers + slice for on top!
- Breadcrumbs: Feel free to replace with gluten-free breadcrumbs or use ground oat flour.
- Yellow Onion, Garlic + Jalapeno: finely chopped. Deseed the jalapeno for a less spicy burger or leave them for more spicy.
- Worcestershire sauce: The key to any good burger is Worcestershire sauce!
- Optional: Cilantro – my fave! Skip if you don’t like it.
How to Make Jalapeno Turkey Burgers
STEP 1: Add all ingredients to a large bowl. Stir until well-combined.
STEP 2: Using hands divide mixture into 5 balls. Roll and then lightly flatten jalapeno turkey burgers on a baking sheet. Place baking sheet in fridge to allow burgers to set for at least 30 minutes. You can also cover and leave in fridge overnight.
STEP 3: Heat up grill or grill-pan to medium high heat (at least 450 degrees F). Place turkey burgers directly onto grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side.
STEP 4: In last minute of cooking top each patty with a slice of pepper jack cheese. Serve on a bun or lettuce bun with desired toppings.
Make Them On the Stove-Top
My preference for these Jalapeno Turkey Burgers is to cook them on the grill. Nothing like a delicious BBQ burger! However, if you don’t have a grill or would prefer to cook them inside, I’ve got a few options for you.
1. Use a grill pan! I’m a huge fan of this cast-iron grill pan and it honestly works as well as an outdoor BBQ.
2. Cook on a regular stove-top pan. You won’t get the grill marks + smokey flavor, but it still works.
Either way cook for 4-5 minutes per side or until golden on the outside and juices run clear.
The Best Burger Pairings
What are burgers without the perfect sides? Here are a few delicious options:
- The Best Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Perfect Roasted Potatoes
- Grilled Asparagus Salad
- Asian Snap Pea Salad
- Quinoa Mint Salad with Watermelon + Feta
Jalapeno Turkey Burgers
Delicious and juicy homemade jalapeno turkey burgers made with lean ground turkey, spices and pepper jack cheddar cheese for a flavor-packed meal!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 5 burgers 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lb 94% lean ground turkey
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded + diced (leave seeds if you want it spicy!)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- optional: handful chopped cilantro
- 5 slices pepper jack cheese
- 5 Hamburger Buns, for serving
- Add all ingredients (except sliced pepper jack cheese) to a large bowl. Stir until well-combined.
- Using hands divide mixture into 5 balls. Roll and then lightly flatten on a baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in fridge to allow burgers to set for at least 30 minutes. You can also cover and leave in fridge overnight.
- Heat up grill or grill-pan to medium high heat (at least 450 degrees F).
- Place turkey burgers directly onto grill and cook for 4-5 minutes per side.
- In last minute of cooking top each patty with a slice of pepper jack cheese.
- Serve on a bun or lettuce bun with desired toppings.
Like this burger recipe? Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
TabithaMarch 6, 2021 at 12:27 pm
Looks like a yummy recipe. I’m going to save to my pinterest and make it this week. The only thing I’ll do differently is pre saute the onion and jalapeno before adding to the mix 😉
BlarneyTalkerJune 23, 2020 at 1:23 pm
I will be trying this recipe, however, just a note, 94% ground turkey has the same fat as 94% ground beef. To truly get the benefit of ground turkey, it needs to be 99% lean. For my family, as my wife is sick and tired of the 99% ground turkey, I mix half 99% ground turkey and half 93% ground beef. Lowers the fat, yet still tastes like ground beef.
Davida LederleJune 23, 2020 at 1:34 pm
Thanks for the feedback! We’re not too concerned with the fat content in our recipes. It’s more about achieving the flavor we prefer. Feel free to sub whatever ground turkey/beef you enjoy.