brownies dessert Featured gluten-free paleo

Avocado Brownies

April 19, 2021

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert. These rich and chocolatey brownies are actually good for you!

The baking kick continues!! I’ve always loved baking. It all began with my easy bake oven as a kid. I played with that thing all.the.time. I’ve always told people that if I didn’t do this for a living, I’d own a bakery. The problem is that I am NOT an early riser so there’s no way that would work out. C jokes that he fell in love with me when he discovered I could bake. I would surprise him in Montreal with the most decadent desserts. In some ways I must have fooled him cause clearly the decadent desserts took a sharp turn into the healthy baking domain 😉

Some of you may remember back in 2013 when I took an intensive baking course. I learned how to make everything from cakes, to bread to cookies from scratch. To be fair, I’ve yet to tackle eclairs since we learned how to make them, but it did give me the foundation to experiment with baking in the kitchen. I always encourage people to get a little crazy with cooking – change up spices, add veggies, swap proteins – but unfortunately the same can’t be said for baking. Even the tiniest adjustment can change the whole thing. To be honest, that’s probably why I like it. It’s like a science experiment you get to master (or fail epically!).

These avocado brownies are not exception. First off, swapping avocado for more traditional fats like butter or oil is definitely a risk, but one that is so clever if you can master it! On top of that, when I first developed these avocado brownies I wanted a healthier version so I swapped flour for coconut flour making these brownies totally paleo. Not to mention using maple syrup for sweetener – honestly these brownies are delish!

Learn how to make Avocado Brownies Step-by-Step

Are these avocado brownies healthy?

Love it or hate it, these avocado brownies are healthy! Will these taste like Betty Crocker boxed brownies? Hell.to.the.no. But they will taste totally delicious! Better yet they’re made with super healthy swaps like:

• Avocado for butter
  • Coconut flour for regular all-purpose flour
  • Applesauce for fudgier texture (you can also replace with 1 large banana if you don’t have any)

This is probably the most controversial recipe I’ve ever posted. If you read the comments you will see that people love them or absolutely hate them! At the end of the day it comes down to taste buds. Like I said, if you like a super decadent and sweet brownie, these are not for you. However, if your tastebuds are acclimated to not that much sugar and grain-free recipes, you will love these. Seriously, I’m obsessed with these avocado brownies (as many of you are too!) but they’re not for everyone…and that’s okay!

Tips for Making Avocado Brownies

• Make sure your avocados are ripe – but not TOO ripe. They should be green and creamy inside
  • Coconut flour is essential to keep these brownies paleo – do NOT replace with another flour unless you know how to adapt flours
  • SIFT YOUR FLOUR! I’m a #lazybaker so I often skip this step but if you watch the video above you’ll see that these avocado brownies come out clumpy if you forget to sift your flour. Still delicious but the texture is off.
  • Use dutch-processed cocoa powder. Because these brownies are already rich, using unprocessed cocoa will make them too bitter.
  • Depending on how you like your brownies adjust the baking time for texture. At 25 minutes they come out on the fudgier side but if you prefer more fudgy bake for less or more cake-like bake for longer

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert.

How To Store These Brownies

I prefer to store mine in the fridge though they’ll last for 2 days on the counter in an airtight container.

My favorite way to eat these though is directly from the freezer! I know…sounds gross but it tastes like fudge. Just cut and once fully cool place them in a sealed bag to freeze. Take one out and enjoy right away or let sit for 5-10 minutes to thaw up a bit. They’ll last up to 6 months in the freezer (though they never last that long here!)

More Healthy Brownies!

Avocado Brownies

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 35 minutes
  • Yield: 16 brownies 1x
  • Category: Dessert
  • Method: Bake
  • Diet: Gluten Free

Scale
  • 1 large avocado
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (replace with 1 large banana if you don’t have any)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder**
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a blender or food processor combine avocado, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.*
  3. Add these ingredients to a large bowl and whisk in eggs.
  4. Sift your coconut flour and cocoa powder.
  5. Add in coconut flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking soda to wet ingredients and stir until well-combined.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips
  7. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with coconut oil and add batter.
  8. Place in oven to bake for 25-30 minutes (slightly less for fudgier brownies or slightly longer for more cake-like brownies).
  9. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into 16 brownies.
  10. Keep them on the counter in an airtight container at room-temperature for up to 2 days or for a longer shelf-life store in the fridge or freezer.

*You can also mash these together by hand but make sure that you mash it up very well and there are no clumps.

** Make sure you use dutch-processed otherwise your brownies will taste bitter – this is the step that people often forget!

Keywords: avocado brownies, paleo brownies, grain-free brownies,

Maura
    January 8, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Do you have the nutrition facts for this recipe?

calia
      January 3, 2017 at 9:21 am

I just posted!

Mimi
    January 5, 2016 at 4:32 pm

Do you have a calorie count and breakdown of protien, carbs, fat, etc for these? They are delicious :).

calia
      January 3, 2017 at 9:21 am

I just posted!

Lyra
    January 3, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Thank you for the recipe because I’m going through chemo and need healthier options!

Rebecca
    December 30, 2015 at 8:23 am

These look AMAZING!! I was just wondering the cocoa powder can be swapped with raw cacao powder instead? if so would I still use 1/2 a cup of it or less given that raw cacao powder has a richer taste?

Many thanks

Rebecca

The Avocado Boy
    December 29, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hardly a healthy recipe. With 3 eggs to one avocado, there is so much cholesterol, you might be better off using butter!
    Better to call them ‘Egg Brownies’ 🙂

Effe Kokonios
      February 17, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Hello, I don’t agree as you wouldn’t be eating the whole pan by yourself so the amount of cholesterol in the eggs would be divided so that it wouldn’t have much affect anyway. Also if you were to have the whole pan you are allowed 3 eggs a day anyway so you would be fine 🙂

Rebecca
        March 29, 2017 at 2:28 am

Not to mention it’s good cholesterol and good fats in eggs and avocados respectively. If you happen to eat the whole pan it wouldn be as bad if you ate a whole pan made with butter. Think about sinking our teeth into a block of butter vs and egg or an avocado. Personally I’d take eggs and avocado any day ?

Catherine
    December 3, 2015 at 1:46 pm

These look so good! Can we use regular flour instead? We never buy any other kind of flour other than plain white.

December 4, 2015 at 11:03 am

Unfortunately, no. Coconut flour cannot be substituted because of it’s texture and special absorbance factor. It would throw off the egg-flour ratio drastically. Wish I could help!

Maxine
    December 2, 2015 at 8:38 pm

If we aren’t bent on it being grain free and don’t have coconut flour on hand, would regular flour work?

December 4, 2015 at 11:03 am

Nikki
    November 9, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I had my little fingers crossed that this would be a grain free recipe…and it is!! Time to buy that bulk bag of avocados from Costco?

November 9, 2015 at 3:19 pm

It is always the right time to buy the bulk bag of avos 😉 Totally grain-free! You’ll love em’ 😉

Lauren
    November 9, 2015 at 11:04 am

These look delicious Davida! I haven’t yet tried avocado in brownies, but this looks like a great recipe to start with!

Teffy @ Teffy's Perks
    November 9, 2015 at 8:25 am

I do love avocado with anything and everything, and that includes baked goods!
    These look so so delicious, exactly the thing to sink my teeth into right now. X

November 9, 2015 at 11:14 am

It really is so versatile! Definitely worth sinking your teeth into 😉

Taryn
    October 30, 2015 at 12:13 am

As interesting as these brownies sound, I was very displeased with the way they tasted. Granted they are a healthy recipe, but I felt like I was eating pure cocoa. I had to throw them all away.

Maria R
      January 19, 2016 at 10:05 pm

I made these and substituted coconut oil for applesauce because I didn’t have applesauce. Also added almost 1/4c extra maple syrup, because my kids are used to brownies with 3c sugars so added a bit more. Delicious.cooked 20-22 min.came perfectlyo it of pan and kids are them up hot (2 each!! ) yum!!!!!!

The Healthy Maven
        January 20, 2016 at 2:40 pm

So happy you liked them Maria! They’re definitely less sweet than your typical boxed brownie mix, which admittedly I’m so acclimated to, I hardly notice when something isn’t too sweet. Thanks for making a great suggestion for those who may need a bit of time to get used to the lack of sugar!

Jhani
      March 20, 2016 at 7:54 pm

I completely agree! I followed the recipe exactly and I was very displeased with the taste too. i had to toss them as well

Kristy
    October 22, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Thanks for the delicious recipe! Just wanted to give you a heads up-there’s a typo. Adding vanilla in is listed twice & baking soda is listed in ingredients but not in directions. So I assumed that the second direction to add in vanilla actually means baking soda. 🙂

October 22, 2015 at 10:58 pm

yes! You are so right. Thank you for catching that. The second vanilla is definitely supposed to be baking soda. Thank you!

1 2 3 4 10