brownies dessert Featured gluten-free paleo

Avocado Brownies

April 19, 2020

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert. These rich and chocolatey brownies are actually good for you!

The baking kick continues!! I’ve always loved baking. It all began with my easy bake oven as a kid. I played with that thing all.the.time. I’ve always told people that if I didn’t do this for a living, I’d own a bakery. The problem is that I am NOT an early riser so there’s no way that would work out. C jokes that he fell in love with me when he discovered I could bake. I would surprise him in Montreal with the most decadent desserts. In some ways I must have fooled him cause clearly the decadent desserts took a sharp turn into the healthy baking domain 😉

Some of you may remember back in 2013 when I took an intensive baking course. I learned how to make everything from cakes, to bread to cookies from scratch. To be fair, I’ve yet to tackle eclairs since we learned how to make them, but it did give me the foundation to experiment with baking in the kitchen. I always encourage people to get a little crazy with cooking – change up spices, add veggies, swap proteins – but unfortunately the same can’t be said for baking. Even the tiniest adjustment can change the whole thing. To be honest, that’s probably why I like it. It’s like a science experiment you get to master (or fail epically!).

These avocado brownies are not exception. First off, swapping avocado for more traditional fats like butter or oil is definitely a risk, but one that is so clever if you can master it! On top of that, when I first developed these avocado brownies I wanted a healthier version so I swapped flour for coconut flour making these brownies totally paleo. Not to mention using maple syrup for sweetener – honestly these brownies are delish!

Learn how to make Avocado Brownies Step-by-Step

Are these avocado brownies healthy?

Love it or hate it, these avocado brownies are healthy! Will these taste like Betty Crocker boxed brownies? Hell.to.the.no. But they will taste totally delicious! Better yet they’re made with super healthy swaps like:

• Avocado for butter
  • Coconut flour for regular all-purpose flour
  • Applesauce for fudgier texture (you can also replace with 1 large banana if you don’t have any)

This is probably the most controversial recipe I’ve ever posted. If you read the comments you will see that people love them or absolutely hate them! At the end of the day it comes down to taste buds. Like I said, if you like a super decadent and sweet brownie, these are not for you. However, if your tastebuds are acclimated to not that much sugar and grain-free recipes, you will love these. Seriously, I’m obsessed with these avocado brownies (as many of you are too!) but they’re not for everyone…and that’s okay!

Tips for Making Avocado Brownies

• Make sure your avocados are ripe – but not TOO ripe. They should be green and creamy inside
  • Coconut flour is essential to keep these brownies paleo – do NOT replace with another flour unless you know how to adapt flours
  • SIFT YOUR FLOUR! I’m a #lazybaker so I often skip this step but if you watch the video above you’ll see that these avocado brownies come out clumpy if you forget to sift your flour. Still delicious but the texture is off.
  • Use dutch-processed cocoa powder. Because these brownies are already rich, using unprocessed cocoa will make them too bitter.
  • Depending on how you like your brownies adjust the baking time for texture. At 25 minutes they come out on the fudgier side but if you prefer more fudgy bake for less or more cake-like bake for longer

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert.

How To Store These Brownies

I prefer to store mine in the fridge though they’ll last for 2 days on the counter in an airtight container.

My favorite way to eat these though is directly from the freezer! I know…sounds gross but it tastes like fudge. Just cut and once fully cool place them in a sealed bag to freeze. Take one out and enjoy right away or let sit for 5-10 minutes to thaw up a bit. They’ll last up to 6 months in the freezer (though they never last that long here!)

More Healthy Brownies!

Avocado Brownies

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 35 minutes
  • Yield: 16 brownies 1x

Scale
  • 1 large avocado
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (replace with 1 large banana if you don’t have any)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder**
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a blender or food processor combine avocado, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.*
  3. Add these ingredients to a large bowl and whisk in eggs.
  4. Sift your coconut flour and cocoa powder.
  5. Add in coconut flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking soda to wet ingredients and stir until well-combined.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips
  7. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with coconut oil and add batter.
  8. Place in oven to bake for 25 minutes (slightly less for fudgier brownies or slightly longer for more cake-like brownies).
  9. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into 16 brownies.
  10. Keep them on the counter in an airtight container at room-temperature for up to 2 days or for a longer shelf-life store in the fridge or freezer.

*You can also mash these together by hand but make sure that you mash it up very well and there are no clumps.

** Make sure you use dutch-processed otherwise your brownies will taste bitter – this is the step that people often forget!

Emma
    September 3, 2015 at 12:35 am

could another flour be used instead of coconut flour?

September 3, 2015 at 8:56 am

I wouldn’t recommend it. Coconut flour is hard to substitute, but if you do attempt with another flour, be sure to decrease the liquid as coconut flour is highly absorbent and requires more liquid!

Cassie @ Almost Getting it Together
    August 23, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Can I get a partnership with SoulCycle or Lululemon? Yes please. Also probably with Scribe because wine + cute boys.

Uh seriously though, just ate 1.5 brownies and it’s everything I can do not to eat the other 14.5. These were so. freaking. good.

August 25, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Right?! Lee and I were in Lululemon being like WORK WITH BLOGGERS…and then spent our life earnings.

UM I KNOW. They only took me 3 tries. WORTH IT.

[email protected]
    August 22, 2015 at 10:49 am

I’ve become known as the Cheese Girl or the Banana Girl, and I don’t even have a partnership. Granted I won’t be laughing in anyone’s faces, but I don’t mind the titles either.

Ann
    August 22, 2015 at 4:08 am

These brownies sound like a dream come true for my boyfriend! He loves avocados too, maybe he’s the avocado man?? Haha! I will make these once my schedule is a bit lighter.
    I barely read your blog posts anymore since you set up that newsletter style 🙁 it’s a shame. What do your statistics say? Do you have less clicks?

August 25, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Aw oh no! I’m thinking of maybe giving the option to readers of either daily or once-a-week. I hear different feedback from everyone so it’s hard to make everyone happy but doing my best. Any feedback you have for me is so helpful so don’t hesitate to share more!

Amy @ UpearlywithAmy
    August 19, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Wow, these are so simple and healthy! I’m def going to give them a try 🙂 Nothing like a brownie for breakfast!

August 19, 2015 at 8:16 pm

agreed! These are totally breakfast worthy 🙂

Printable Calendar
      January 22, 2019 at 4:50 am

Ooh that partnership really is a dream come true! As are these brownies. I cannot wait to make them!

Kelsey Yoki
    August 19, 2015 at 5:40 am

I’d really love to work with RxBar – definitely the first brand that comes to mind for me!

August 19, 2015 at 11:39 am

I’ve actually never tried them, but I’d love to! Next time I’m in the States!

Kelsey
        August 19, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I mean, they are definitely something I could probably make on my own but I would love even more to work with an amazing company. Another dream of a company would be Pure Pharma as well. Haha, my CrossFit self is really showing today.

August 19, 2015 at 12:37 pm

hahahaha I was gonna say! One of these days I’ll try crossfit 😉 xo

August 18, 2015 at 9:47 pm

August 19, 2015 at 11:38 am

You’re gonna love these! So easy and delish. Hope all is well with you, gorgeous!

Lee
    August 18, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Actually obsessed with that avo brownie swirl pic! Soooo beautiful. Whenever anyone asks me what I do…it’s like a 20 minute explanation. But then I get to talk about all the sweet brands I work with live Avos from Mexico 🙂

August 19, 2015 at 11:38 am

A from M for life! Totally worth the 20 minute explanation!

Chelsey
    August 18, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I’m obsessed with this avoliciousness! Must make this recipe ASAP! On another note, totally get that leaving summer camp feeling..I went in NH too and unfortunately missed the reunion this weekend 🙁 (serious FOMO!). Obsessed with your blog as always!! xx

August 19, 2015 at 11:37 am

Stopppppp no way! Which camp?! I went to YJ! I literally had PTSD from every summer of camp ending haha

Chelsey
        August 19, 2015 at 10:15 pm

So funny! Robindel! The most beautiful place in the world during the summers!!

Miss Polkadot
    August 18, 2015 at 11:30 am

Lady, look at you: all dreams coming true right there when you took the plunge and quit your ‘safe’ job. First becoming a full-time blogger, then the avocado partnership – do you even have any dreams left :D?? These brownies look great. Probably even better with added chocolate chips.
    My dream partnership? Being sponsored by Lindt. No second thoughts necessary. If we want to keep it healthy than Pink Lady apples. Both aren’t budget-friendly eaten in the quantities I do and that’s what partnerships are for, right 😉 ?!

August 19, 2015 at 11:40 am

I have to say I am running out of dreams haha. Not the worst problem to have. Love Lindt! I know that dream will become a reality for you 😉

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    August 18, 2015 at 10:22 am

“STFU” I died. lol
    These look amazing, PER THE USUAL <3 Top them with some peanut butter for me? 😉

August 19, 2015 at 11:36 am

You know me well 😉 OF COURSE I topped them with PB!

Em @ Love A Latte
    August 18, 2015 at 9:47 am

Can’t wait to give these a try!!! I eat an avocado/day so I should probably just eat these brownies instead. (Also, side note: I tried to share this post with the Facebook button above and it kept giving me an error…just thought I’d let you know!)

August 19, 2015 at 11:36 am

Thanks for the heads up, lovely! I’ll look into it!

cindy west
        March 10, 2017 at 12:46 pm

how many calories in one brownie

Tori Tarantino
          September 25, 2017 at 9:59 pm

Roughly 91 depending on the brand of ingredients you choose. Macros are about 51% carbs, 37% fats, 12% protein.

Ashley