brownies dessert Featured gluten-free paleo

Avocado Brownies

April 19, 2020

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert. These rich and chocolatey brownies are actually good for you!

The baking kick continues!! I’ve always loved baking. It all began with my easy bake oven as a kid. I played with that thing all.the.time. I’ve always told people that if I didn’t do this for a living, I’d own a bakery. The problem is that I am NOT an early riser so there’s no way that would work out. C jokes that he fell in love with me when he discovered I could bake. I would surprise him in Montreal with the most decadent desserts. In some ways I must have fooled him cause clearly the decadent desserts took a sharp turn into the healthy baking domain 😉

Some of you may remember back in 2013 when I took an intensive baking course. I learned how to make everything from cakes, to bread to cookies from scratch. To be fair, I’ve yet to tackle eclairs since we learned how to make them, but it did give me the foundation to experiment with baking in the kitchen. I always encourage people to get a little crazy with cooking – change up spices, add veggies, swap proteins – but unfortunately the same can’t be said for baking. Even the tiniest adjustment can change the whole thing. To be honest, that’s probably why I like it. It’s like a science experiment you get to master (or fail epically!).

These avocado brownies are not exception. First off, swapping avocado for more traditional fats like butter or oil is definitely a risk, but one that is so clever if you can master it! On top of that, when I first developed these avocado brownies I wanted a healthier version so I swapped flour for coconut flour making these brownies totally paleo. Not to mention using maple syrup for sweetener – honestly these brownies are delish!

Learn how to make Avocado Brownies Step-by-Step

Are these avocado brownies healthy?

Love it or hate it, these avocado brownies are healthy! Will these taste like Betty Crocker boxed brownies? Hell.to.the.no. But they will taste totally delicious! Better yet they’re made with super healthy swaps like:

• Avocado for butter
  • Coconut flour for regular all-purpose flour
  • Applesauce for fudgier texture (you can also replace with 1 large banana if you don’t have any)

This is probably the most controversial recipe I’ve ever posted. If you read the comments you will see that people love them or absolutely hate them! At the end of the day it comes down to taste buds. Like I said, if you like a super decadent and sweet brownie, these are not for you. However, if your tastebuds are acclimated to not that much sugar and grain-free recipes, you will love these. Seriously, I’m obsessed with these avocado brownies (as many of you are too!) but they’re not for everyone…and that’s okay!

Tips for Making Avocado Brownies

• Make sure your avocados are ripe – but not TOO ripe. They should be green and creamy inside
  • Coconut flour is essential to keep these brownies paleo – do NOT replace with another flour unless you know how to adapt flours
  • SIFT YOUR FLOUR! I’m a #lazybaker so I often skip this step but if you watch the video above you’ll see that these avocado brownies come out clumpy if you forget to sift your flour. Still delicious but the texture is off.
  • Use dutch-processed cocoa powder. Because these brownies are already rich, using unprocessed cocoa will make them too bitter.
  • Depending on how you like your brownies adjust the baking time for texture. At 25 minutes they come out on the fudgier side but if you prefer more fudgy bake for less or more cake-like bake for longer

A healthy and delicious recipe for avocado brownies! Replace oil or butter with heart-healthy avocados for a delicious and nutritious dessert.

How To Store These Brownies

I prefer to store mine in the fridge though they’ll last for 2 days on the counter in an airtight container.

My favorite way to eat these though is directly from the freezer! I know…sounds gross but it tastes like fudge. Just cut and once fully cool place them in a sealed bag to freeze. Take one out and enjoy right away or let sit for 5-10 minutes to thaw up a bit. They’ll last up to 6 months in the freezer (though they never last that long here!)

More Healthy Brownies!

Avocado Brownies

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 25 minutes
  • Total Time: 35 minutes
  • Yield: 16 brownies 1x

Scale
  • 1 large avocado
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (replace with 1 large banana if you don’t have any)
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened dutch-processed cocoa powder**
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a blender or food processor combine avocado, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla.*
  3. Add these ingredients to a large bowl and whisk in eggs.
  4. Sift your coconut flour and cocoa powder.
  5. Add in coconut flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking soda to wet ingredients and stir until well-combined.
  6. Stir in chocolate chips
  7. Grease an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with coconut oil and add batter.
  8. Place in oven to bake for 25 minutes (slightly less for fudgier brownies or slightly longer for more cake-like brownies).
  9. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before cutting into 16 brownies.
  10. Keep them on the counter in an airtight container at room-temperature for up to 2 days or for a longer shelf-life store in the fridge or freezer.

*You can also mash these together by hand but make sure that you mash it up very well and there are no clumps.

** Make sure you use dutch-processed otherwise your brownies will taste bitter – this is the step that people often forget!

Jill
    July 20, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Hi there! I know this is an old post but figured I’d ask anyway. I made these brownies tonight and despite all the negative comments I thought they had great flavor! I did add a tiny bit of coconut sugar into the mix and some mini chocolate chips. The texture didn’t come out quite right though, and I’m wondering if it has to do with what you said above about coconut flour. Which brand do you use? I used Hodgson Mill. My avocado also wasn’t quite ripe yet, would that affect texture? (I used a ninja blender)

Danielle
    June 22, 2017 at 2:03 pm

Make these all the time… in fact, a batch is in the oven right now. They are incredible. Thank you!

Elizabeth
    April 28, 2017 at 1:52 pm

SO. I made these heavenly looking brownies and used 1/2 C of All-Purpose Flour instead of the 1/2 C of Coconut Flour (without realizing that you said it can’t be substituted because it’ll be too watery). They were absolutely delicious! I had to bake them a little longer, and maybe next time I’ll add a bit more flour, but I ended up freezing them and I let them sit out at room temperature for about 15 minutes just to get soft enough to eat with a fork (but still frozen) and it’s glorious. I then made the coconut flour ones and they just simply aren’t as good. However, I think it’s the grainy coconut flour and overall taste/dryness thing for me, and not being as fudgey. Great recipe though if you like baked goods with coconut flour! Thank you for this delicious discovery 🙂 I plan to bake these many many more times.

Michelle
    April 13, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Unfortunately super disappointed with this recipe. I only read the comments after mine went in the oven, so was hoping for the best. They looked beautiful (just like the pics), which leads me to believe I executed accurately, but tasted awful. To the point I would not feel comfortable serving them and couldn’t even get through one myself. I normally like less sweet options, but it was more the texture that is spongey and kind of gross. Save yourself the ingredients and just pass on the brownie then.

Shannon
    April 1, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I made these tonight and they were delicious! As they were baking I read the reviews and got a little leary but I was pleasantly surprised and I didn’t have the Dutch processed cocoa. I’ll definitely make these again. Of course you can’t expect them to be as sweet as boxed brownies but that’s the whole point!

Michelle
    March 25, 2017 at 11:25 am

Just a quick note to draw attention to the impacts that our food choices have on the environment. I look for avocados that aren’t grown in Mexico and although I love avocados I have reduced the number I eat. https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/18/world/americas/ambition-of-avocado-imperils-monarch-butterflies-winter-home.html?_r=0

Josh
    March 23, 2017 at 11:54 pm

Hey, I was just curious. If I substitute regular all purpose flour for the coconut flour (my local store doesn’t sell it) would I get similar results?

Allison
    March 19, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Hi Davida!

I was so excited about this recipe and then became a little nervous at the (mostly rude) disparaging comments about it. I ended up trying it this evening and just wanted to let you know how much my husband and I enjoyed it! The people saying that they aren’t sweet are crazy! We typically do Betty Crocker box mix brownies and I still thought these were plenty sweet (They have 1/2 a cup of maple syrup, for crying out loud, lol!) Even my husband, who loves his junk food, thought they were good, and said that they taste like cake. They do have a *tiny* bit of a grainy texture, but I expected that since they are gluten-free, and GF flours tend to be a bit more grainy. Anyways, just wanted to say thank you and that we loved the recipe! 🙂

March 20, 2017 at 2:02 pm

Hey Allison! Thanks so much for your feedback. I totally agree, but people have a lot of opinions on everything haha. I figured out that certain types of coconut flour require sifting. I used the same coconut flour for years and it was totally fine, but I recently changed it up and it contributed to them being grainier. Reminds me why it’s important to change up your ingredients every now and then!

Allison
        March 20, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Oh, I didn’t even think about sifting! I’ll try that for my next recipe. 🙂

Stephanie
    March 12, 2017 at 12:18 am

I cannot find Dutch processed cocoa anywhere! Do you have a link to what you buy or any suggestions? I made these with regular cocoa and not that good ( just as you warned.)

Missy B
    February 21, 2017 at 8:23 pm

Has ANYONE actually tried this recipe with a review?

Allison
      March 19, 2017 at 9:43 pm

I tried them! I thought they were great, and plenty sweet. They do have a tiny bit of a grainy texture, as most GF desserts do, but it didn’t really bother me. After reading the comments, I was prepared with walnuts and chocolate chips to doctor them up if necessary, but I didn’t need anything! They were delicious on their own. 🙂

Noline
    February 18, 2017 at 3:16 pm

I can’t wait to try these. They look so yummy.

Jesse Lavine
    February 16, 2017 at 6:49 pm

Hi Davida!

Thanks so much for the recipe. I’m more of an improvisational cook, but I decided to try baking with your recipe.
    The first time I didnt have apple sauce, so I just chopped up some apples instead. Turns out, you can’t do that.
    The second time I was more confident with my newly purchased apple sauce, so i decide to make a double batch. This time, instead of the maple syrup, i used equal amounts of stevia to sweeten. Turns out, that tastes like shit.
    This time, I’ve got all the right ingredients, but still substituting maple syrup with coconut nectar (amber) to make it even lower carb that it already is. I’m looking forward to making this batch!

Thanks again for your post, and all the other creative recipes!

Jesse