Easy to whip up and full of healthy goodness, this Peach and Apple Crisp will quickly become a favorite for your next cook-out or late summer BBQ!
I’ll be honest, I just totally googled the difference between a “crisp” and a “crumble”. And confirmed…they are the same thing. I also spent far too long trying to decide between calling this a Peach and Apple Crisp or a Late Summer Fruit Crumble. I went for the the former (#SEOproblems) but I’d still think that a Late Summer Fruit Crumble is a way sexier name.
Back to the recipe! It is 100% inspired by our last few weekend adventures in Sonoma. For my birthday, we went up to Mendocino but passed through Sonoma on the way up. We stopped at a friend’s place who has a bunch of apple trees in bloom and she let us pick some. We also got a huge stash of pears, asian pears and lemons.
She’s a new friend…Soon to be my best friend. Rachel, you don’t even know what’s coming!
So of course when she invited us over for dinner I had to bring a dessert featuring fruits picked from her garden. Though full discretion, the peaches came from Mendocino on our drive back down…but close enough! I’m just on a peach bender so I had to include them.
Really this dessert is just everything I love about this time of year, all in one. The crisp fall air represented by the sweet and sour apples and the warm, hazy days featured with some fuzzy peaches. The combo is just everything.
Though truth-be-told, summer really only begins in San Francisco in September. I spent about two months staring longingly at cute shorts online that I knew I wouldn’t be able to wear. And then got caught by C last week shopping for fall sweaters while we were sweltering in our apartment.
As you can see, I haven’t totally adjusted.
But with these strange weather patterns also comes a friend with a backyard full of fresh fruit. I may hate fogust, but I also get to eat produce that hasn’t been shipped halfway across the world before it gets to me. And as a full-blooded Canadian this is a totally novel concept.
So consider this dessert recipe an ode to those who are just entering Fall and the rest of us here in San Francisco who are welcoming the start of summer. A solid fusion of my two favorite seasons and my two favorite fruits. Or perhaps more importantly, the perfect vessel for some ice cream, in summer or fall!
Peach and Apple Crisp
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 servings
For the Filling::
- 5 apples of choice, peeled and chopped
- 5 peaches, chopped
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/4 cup of orange juice
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour (or arrowroot or cornstarch)
For the Crumble::
- 1/2 cup almond meal
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter (cold)
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with coconut oil or butter
- Place apples and peaches in a large bowl and top with cinnamon, coconut sugar, orange juice and tapioca flour.
- Spread out in baking dish.
- Place almond meal, rolled oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and salt to bowl and stir.
- Add coconut oil or butter to bowl and using hands mix crumble mixture together until crumbly. Don’t be afraid to get in there and dirty!
- Sprinkle crumble mixture on top of apples and peaches.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Serve warm ideally with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!