Comfort food at its finest with this easy, healthy and flavorful Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. Simple ingredients and simple instructions are all you need for a warm bowl of this delicious soup recipe.
Well, my friends, I’m sad to share that today is officially the last SOUPER SUNDAY. I know for many of you, the winter continues and your soup consumption is only on the rise, but I’m off on a month packed-full of travelling, which means my weekly need for a big ole’ batch of soup is on the decline.
By now you know that I eat soup year-round, so don’t worry, soup recipes are not disappearing for good, but my freezer is officially locked and loaded full of soup and I’ll be ditching my kitchen for warmer temperatures so a weekly recipe no longer makes sense.
But fortunately for you, I’ve got 8 weeks worth of recipes to keep you covered for the next little bit.
Make sure you check out the SOUPER SUNDAY archives!
So where am I off to you ask? Well tomorrow I head to Mehhhhhico for a little work/vacation trip with Team Fit Foodie. Originally, we had planned to head down to San Miguel de Allende for a workation aka we figured we’d rather work from warm weather than but stuck in the Minneapolis/Toronto Tundra we call home.
When I mentioned this plan to my friends over at Avocados from Mexico, they asked if we’d want to visit an avocado farm. DUH!!! So we’ll be kicking things off with a trip to Uruapan to check out where 90% of Mexico’s and 50% of the world’s avocados are grown. Be still my avocado-loving heart.
Of course, you can follow along on our adventures on Instagram and Snapchat (TheHealthyMaven and FitFoodieFinds) so you don’t miss out on our shenanigans. If you watched what went down the last time Lee and I were together at WellFit then you know how crazy it can get.
After a short trip back to Toronto, I then head out to Scottsdale, Arizona for an actual vacation-vacation with the fam. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Scottsdale and I absolutely love visiting. Hiking, great restaurants, super low-key vibe, it’s my kind of place.
I’m also looking forward to treating myself to a little spa action.
As always, if you have any trip recommendations, I’m all ears! I’ve got lots of yummy recipes and fun posts coming your way but may be a bit sporadic around here. But rest assured that you’ll be well fed thanks to 8 weeks of SOUPER SUNDAY.
If you haven’t tackled any of the recipes, I’d highly recommend starting with this Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. Talk to ya on the flipside friends!Print
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 bowls 1x
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large vine tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- optional: crushed red peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes face down in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp to a large pot over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent (around 3-5 mins).
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in tomatoes when they’re finished along with vegetable broth, basil, sea salt, pepper and red wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 20 mins.
- Turn off stove top and let soup cool before blending with an immersion blender or in batches in a conventional blender. I pulse slightly to leave it a bit chunky, but this is my preference.
- Serve warm with bread or my favorite superfood crackers!
Any trips on the roster for you? Any recommendations for Mexico or Scottsdale? Would love to hear them!
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!