Comfort food at its finest with this easy, healthy and flavorful Roasted Tomato Basil Soup Recipe. Simple ingredients and simple instructions are all you need for a warm bowl of this delicious tomato soup recipe.
The Best Tomato Basil Soup Recipe!
My garden is officially exploding with tomatoes and I’m trying every possible tomato recipe under the sun! This easy tomato basil soup recipe is made with simple ingredients but is bursting with flavor. As September rolls around I find myself starting to crave soup and tomato basil soup is one lf the best ways to use up the remainder of those summer tomatoes and fresh basil.
This tomato basil soup is comforting without being super heavy… perfect for the late summer cooler nights. It comes together easily and can also be frozen so you can enjoy it months from now in the middle of winter. Trust me, you’re going to love it!
Ingredients in Tomato Basil Soup
- Fresh Tomatoes – the star of the show! This soup is best with in-season tomatoes. Get them from your garden or a local farmer’s market if you can for the best flavor! My preference is for plum varieties like roma tomatoes or san marzano but feel free to use whatever you have have or can find.
- Yellow onion and garlic – the aromatic bases of this tomato basil soup recipe.
- Vegetable broth – make your own or use store-bought. In a pinch you can use water.
- Basil – I recommend using fresh basil leaves for the best flavor but you can use dried if you don’t have any on hand.
- Olive oil – Ideally extra virgin olive oil to roast the vegetables in.
- Red wine vinegar – acidity to help the flavors pop!
- Sea salt and pepper – to taste.
- Cream or coconut cream – optional but adds that creamy flavor.
What Types of Tomatoes Should You Use in Tomato Basil Soup?
Typically plum tomatoes tend to be best for tomato basil soup HOWEVER, I’m a firm believer in letting all varieties of tomatoes shine. I’ve made this tomato soup recipe with everything from valencias to purple cherokee tomatoes to cherry tomatoes and all are delicious in their own unique way.
That being said, if you want a more traditional tomato basil soup recipe use a plum varietal like romas or san marzano. Roasted canned tomatoes can be used but honestly, it just doesn’t taste as fresh.
How to Make This Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
STEP 1: ROAST TOMATOES
Slice your tomatoes in half and place them face down on a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Roast at 400ºF for 45 minutes.
STEP 2: COOK SOUP
To your stovetop add oil to a large pot over medium heat and sauté the onions until translucent. Add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute. When the tomatoes are done roasting, add them to the pot (along with their roasting juices) with the onions and garlic along with the broth, basil, salt, pepper and red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 20 minutes.
STEP 3: BLEND TOMATO BASIL SOUP
Turn off the stove top and let the soup cool slightly before blending with an immersion blender or in batches in a conventional blender. I pulse slightly to leave it a bit chunky, but this is my texture preference. Feel free to blend to smooth. Stir in cream or coconut cream if using.
How to Serve Tomato Basil Soup
The options are endless when it comes to pairings for this soup! Here are some of my favorite serving suggestions:
- Warm bread – can’t go wrong with a slice of seedy or sourdough bread!
- Crackers – use store bought or try my superfood crackers
- Grilled cheese sandwich – if you thought grilled cheese was for kids, think again!
- Grilled protein – this soup pairs with just about any grilled protein.
- Garnish with cheese – no need for sides when you sprinkle your tomato basil soup recipe with a little parmesan cheese.
How to Store Leftovers
One of the best things about soup is that you can meal prep one batch and have healthy meals all week long! Here’s how to store it:
Fridge: After allowing your soup to cool slightly, place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Reheat in microwave or on the stovetop
Freezer: Once your soup has cooled, add to freezer-safe containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in fridge and reheat on stovetop or in microwave.
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Split Pea Soup
- Instant Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Healthy Minestrone Soup
- Tuscan Kale and Lentil Soup
- Heirloom Carrot Ginger Soup
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Comfort food at its finest with this easy, healthy and flavorful Roasted Tomato Basil Soup. Simple ingredients and simple instructions are all you need for a warm bowl of this delicious soup recipe.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large vine tomatoes, sliced in half (roughly 2.5 lbs)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- optional: 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut cream (if vegan)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place tomatoes face down in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish and drizzle with 2 tbsp of olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp to a large pot over medium heat and sauté onions until translucent (around 3-5 mins).
- Add in garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in tomatoes when they’re finished (be sure to include roasting juices) along with vegetable broth, basil, sea salt, pepper and red wine vinegar.
- Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer for 20 mins.
- Turn off stove top and let soup cool slightly before blending with an immersion blender or in batches in a conventional blender. I pulse slightly to leave it a bit chunky, but this is my preference.
- If using cream let cool to room temperature and then stir in.
- Serve warm with bread or my favorite superfood crackers!
Keywords: tomato basil soup recipe, tomato basil soup, tomato soup, easy tomato basil soup
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!