This creamy and hearty Healthy Split Pea Soup is packed full of vegetables and plant-based protein for a delicious meal in one! A healthy vegan soup recipe ready in 40 minutes or less.
I couldn’t possibly write a whole post on Split Pea Soup and not mention where my love of split pea soup evolved from. If you’re from Toronto and have ever frequented United Baker’s Dairy Restaurant than you know how incredible their pea soup is. When I say this is the “soup of all soups”, I am not joking. This soup has superpowers….or SOUPerpowers if you will.
It also is packed full of a lifetime of memories. When I think of UB Pea Soup, my mind if flooded with a series of memories that take me from babyhood to present day. So in honour of a restaurant that holds a special place in my heart, I made my healthy version of split pea soup. It will never top the original (nor should it) but it’s full of love and memories…with slightly less butter 😉
Here’s What You Need:
- coconut oil
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- celery stalks
- sweet potato
- dried green split peas
- vegetable stock
- seasonings and spices – sea salt, black pepper, dried basil, dried dill, turmeric, and cumin.
Tell me more about split peas…
Both split peas and lentils are types of legumes. Split peas are a type of pea that are grown specifically for drying. They are split in half after drying which makes them… you guessed it: split peas. The fact that they’re split in half speeds up cooking time and don’t require soaking prior to cooking. They will cook right up with the liquid and other ingredients in this soup so you don’t need any advanced prepping.
Split peas are high in protein and fiber which make them a great nutritional addition to this soup packed with vegetables.
What to Serve with Split Pea Soup
This soup is already packed with vegetables and protein thanks to the split peas so it really is a satisfying meal on it’s own. BUT I love pairing soup with a hearty bread or even a grilled cheese or panini type sandwich. There’s something about dunking bread into a creamy soup like this!
If you want a lighter option, you could absolutely serve this soup with a side salad and even grilled protein for an added protein boost.Print
Healthy Split Pea Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 bowls 1x
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dried green split peas
- 5 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Add coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat.
- Once coconut oil has melted add in onion and saute until translucent (about 5 mins).
- Add in garlic cloves, carrot, celery and sweet potato and cook for another 5 mins.
- Top with split peas, vegetable stock, salt, pepper and spices and bring to boil.
- Cover with lid and lower to a simmer for 20 mins.
- Remove lid and cook for 10 more mins.
- Turn off stovetop and allow soup to cool slightly.
- Once cool enough to handle, blend using an immersion blender or in batches with a standard blender.
- Serve warm.
- Will keep for up to one week in the fridge and months in the freezer.
Like this recipe? Here are others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!