Featured gluten-free soup soup sunday vegan

Split Pea Soup

September 13, 2021

This creamy and hearty Healthy Split Pea Soup is packed full of vegetables and plant-based protein for a delicious meal in one! A healthy vegan soup recipe ready in 40 minutes or less.

I couldn’t possibly write a whole post on Split Pea Soup and not mention where my love of split pea soup evolved from. If you’re from Toronto and have ever frequented United Baker’s Dairy Restaurant than you know how incredible their pea soup is. When I say this is the “soup of all soups”, I am not joking. This soup has superpowers….or SOUPerpowers if you will.

It also is packed full of a lifetime of memories. When I think of UB Pea Soup, my mind if flooded with a series of memories that take me from babyhood to present day. So in honour of a restaurant that holds a special place in my heart, I made my healthy version of split pea soup. It will never top the original (nor should it) but it’s full of love and memories…with slightly less butter 😉

Here’s What You Need:

Quick note: if you’re hoping for this split pea soup to taste like United Baker’s I would recommend sautéing your veggies in butter instead of coconut oil. At the end once your soup has been blended and cooled slightly you can stir in 1/2 cup cream. It is a dairy restaurant after all! Don’t forget to cook up some egg noodles to stir in. Of course, this split pea soup is delicious as is too!

Tell me more about split peas…

Both split peas and lentils are types of legumes. Split peas are a type of pea that are grown specifically for drying. They are split in half after drying which makes them… you guessed it: split peas. The fact that they’re split in half speeds up cooking time and don’t require soaking prior to cooking. They will cook right up with the liquid and other ingredients in this soup so you don’t need any advanced prepping.

Split peas are high in protein and fiber which make them a great nutritional addition to this soup packed with vegetables.

How to Make Split Pea Soup

STEP 1: Add coconut oil (or butter) to a large pot over medium heat. Once coconut oil has melted add in onion and saute until translucent (about 5 mins). Add in garlic cloves, carrot, celery and sweet potato and cook for another 5 mins.

STEP 2: Top with split peas, vegetable stock, salt, pepper and herbs/spices and bring to boil. Cover with lid and lower to a simmer for 20 mins. Remove lid and cook for 10 more mins.

STEP 3: Turn off stovetop and allow soup to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, blend using an immersion blender or in batches with a standard blender. Feel free to remove a ladle or two of soup before blending to keep some chunkiness, if preferred. Add back in after blending.

Can you Freeze Split Pea Soup?

Absolutely! Split pea soup freezes super well. It will keep in your fridge for up to 1 week and will last up to 6 months if well-stored in the freezer. Just thaw for several hours on your countertop before eating or overnight in your fridge.

What to Serve with Split Pea Soup

This soup is already packed with vegetables and protein thanks to the split peas so it really is a satisfying meal on it’s own. BUT I love pairing soup with a hearty bread or even a grilled cheese or panini type sandwich. There’s something about dunking bread into a creamy soup like this!

If you want a lighter option, you could absolutely serve this soup with a side salad and even grilled protein for an added protein boost.

Healthy Split Pea Soup

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 40 minutes
  • Total Time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: 6 bowls 1x
  • Category: Soup
  • Method: Cook
  • Cuisine: Middle Eastern
  • Diet: Gluten Free

Scale

1. Add coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Once coconut oil has melted add in onion and saute until translucent (about 5 mins).
  3. Add in garlic cloves, carrot, celery and sweet potato and cook for another 5 mins.
  4. Top with split peas, vegetable stock, salt, pepper and herbs/spices and bring to boil.
  5. Cover with lid and lower to a simmer for 20 mins.
  6. Remove lid and cook for 10 more mins.
  7. Turn off stovetop and allow soup to cool slightly.
  8. Once cool enough to handle, blend using an immersion blender or in batches with a standard blender. Feel free to remove a ladle or two of soup before blending to keep some chunkiness, if preferred. Add back in after blending.
  9. Serve warm.
  10. Will keep for up to one week in the fridge and months in the freezer.

Keywords: split pea soup, healthy split pea soup

Like this recipe? Here are others you might enjoy:

Jen
    February 21, 2021 at 6:32 am

I’ve made split pea soup with ham for years. This meatless recipe caught my eye; we loved it! We didn’t miss the ham at all, and I have shared the recipe several times already.

Davida Lederle
      February 21, 2021 at 9:30 am

So glad to hear it! Thank you for the support!

Chelsa
    February 10, 2021 at 6:19 am

Oh my soul. This is the best Split Pea Soup recipe I’ve ever made. I thought huh strange when I read dill, but I threw it in there. Seriously so delicious.

Patricia Tilghman
    February 3, 2021 at 3:22 am

Not a peas fan at all but I think I’ll gv ths soup a try bcuz it has so many other veggies. Sounds amazingly delicious!

Sharon
    February 3, 2019 at 3:25 pm

This soup is awesome. And a lot cheaper to make than buying it ready made at UB! Thanks for the recipe.

Marie MacChesney
    February 14, 2018 at 1:17 pm

You sound so lovely. Today I am making your soup!!! Marie

Vicki
    November 29, 2017 at 4:03 pm

A favourite soup of our family also! Is there not a little bit of fresh dill in the soup and carrots too? Maybe I’m wrong. And of course it is always served with the thin egg noodles (my girls always asked for extra!) Oops – ‘just re-read the recipe – please ignore!

Vicki
    November 29, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Meghan
    November 20, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I just came across your website and this recipe searching for Healthy Split Pea soup. UB!!! I’m a Torontonian living in Oakland. This is so perfect, I’m making the recipe now. United Bakers has so many memories for me. Every time I go home I need to visit for soup and a Greek.

Jen
    March 1, 2016 at 7:47 pm

I just made this soup….. It is AMAZING!!!!! So freakin delicious. The only modification I made, was sub butternut squash for the sweet potato (forgot to buy it at the store ? ) Awesome job, Davida!!

Miss Polkadot
    February 16, 2016 at 9:49 am

Will you believe I’ve never had split pea soup and that it’s not known over here? It looks and sounds so incredibly comforting I think I might have to change that, though.
    Some of the most memory-inducing dishes for me include my grandma’s Rotkohl [recipe is on my blog], my mum’s Käsespätzle [ a kind of dumpling-like homemade pasta with fried onions and lots of cheese] and my adaption of Jamie Oliver’s cannelloni casserole.

February 16, 2016 at 1:47 pm

All sound like amazing dishes! Isn’t it amazing how often we associate positive (and sometimes negative..) memories with food. Shows the power of a meal to bring people together!

Brie
    February 16, 2016 at 9:37 am

I love split pea soup and can’t wait to try your recipe since I’ve haven’t had it with sweet potatoes! My hubby would never try pea soup then I showed him how much protein peas have and now it’s his favorite 🙂

February 16, 2016 at 1:46 pm

Sometimes it’s the protein that sells the boys 😉

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    February 15, 2016 at 5:14 pm

OMGGGGGGG when I saw this on your Snap story I was stoked. Now I’m like REALLY stoked because I have the golden recipe!!! So pinning this and so making this. Is it weird if I admit that split pea soup has been a pregnancy craving of mine? WITH hash browns. Heavenly….

February 16, 2016 at 1:53 pm

Not weird at all! Trust me – I’m going to have the strangest pregnancy cravings ever…when that comes…in 10 years haha

1 2 3