Featured gluten-free soup soup sunday vegan

Split Pea Soup

September 13, 2021

This creamy and hearty Healthy Split Pea Soup is packed full of vegetables and plant-based protein for a delicious meal in one! A healthy vegan soup recipe ready in 40 minutes or less.

I couldn’t possibly write a whole post on Split Pea Soup and not mention where my love of split pea soup evolved from. If you’re from Toronto and have ever frequented United Baker’s Dairy Restaurant than you know how incredible their pea soup is. When I say this is the “soup of all soups”, I am not joking. This soup has superpowers….or SOUPerpowers if you will.

It also is packed full of a lifetime of memories. When I think of UB Pea Soup, my mind if flooded with a series of memories that take me from babyhood to present day. So in honour of a restaurant that holds a special place in my heart, I made my healthy version of split pea soup. It will never top the original (nor should it) but it’s full of love and memories…with slightly less butter πŸ˜‰

Here’s What You Need:

Quick note: if you’re hoping for this split pea soup to taste like United Baker’s I would recommend sautΓ©ing your veggies in butter instead of coconut oil. At the end once your soup has been blended and cooled slightly you can stir in 1/2 cup cream. It is a dairy restaurant after all! Don’t forget to cook up some egg noodles to stir in. Of course, this split pea soup is delicious as is too!

Tell me more about split peas…

Both split peas and lentils are types of legumes. Split peas are a type of pea that are grown specifically for drying. They are split in half after drying which makes them… you guessed it: split peas. The fact that they’re split in half speeds up cooking time and don’t require soaking prior to cooking. They will cook right up with the liquid and other ingredients in this soup so you don’t need any advanced prepping.

Split peas are high in protein and fiber which make them a great nutritional addition to this soup packed with vegetables.

How to Make Split Pea Soup

STEP 1: Add coconut oil (or butter) to a large pot over medium heat. Once coconut oil has melted add in onion and saute until translucent (about 5 mins). Add in garlic cloves, carrot, celery and sweet potato and cook for another 5 mins.

STEP 2: Top with split peas, vegetable stock, salt, pepper and herbs/spices and bring to boil. Cover with lid and lower to a simmer for 20 mins. Remove lid and cook for 10 more mins.

STEP 3: Turn off stovetop and allow soup to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, blend using an immersion blender or in batches with a standard blender. Feel free to remove a ladle or two of soup before blending to keep some chunkiness, if preferred. Add back in after blending.

Can you Freeze Split Pea Soup?

Absolutely! Split pea soup freezes super well. It will keep in your fridge for up to 1 week and will last up to 6 months if well-stored in the freezer. Just thaw for several hours on your countertop before eating or overnight in your fridge.

What to Serve with Split Pea Soup

This soup is already packed with vegetables and protein thanks to the split peas so it really is a satisfying meal on it’s own. BUT I love pairing soup with a hearty bread or even a grilled cheese or panini type sandwich. There’s something about dunking bread into a creamy soup like this!

If you want a lighter option, you could absolutely serve this soup with a side salad and even grilled protein for an added protein boost.

Healthy Split Pea Soup

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 10 minutes
  • Cook Time: 40 minutes
  • Total Time: 50 minutes
  • Yield: 6 bowls 1x
  • Category: Soup
  • Method: Cook
  • Cuisine: Middle Eastern
  • Diet: Gluten Free

Scale

1. Add coconut oil to a large pot over medium heat.
  2. Once coconut oil has melted add in onion and saute until translucent (about 5 mins).
  3. Add in garlic cloves, carrot, celery and sweet potato and cook for another 5 mins.
  4. Top with split peas, vegetable stock, salt, pepper and herbs/spices and bring to boil.
  5. Cover with lid and lower to a simmer for 20 mins.
  6. Remove lid and cook for 10 more mins.
  7. Turn off stovetop and allow soup to cool slightly.
  8. Once cool enough to handle, blend using an immersion blender or in batches with a standard blender. Feel free to remove a ladle or two of soup before blending to keep some chunkiness, if preferred. Add back in after blending.
  9. Serve warm.
  10. Will keep for up to one week in the fridge and months in the freezer.

Keywords: split pea soup, healthy split pea soup

Like this recipe? Here are others you might enjoy:

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    February 15, 2016 at 5:14 pm

OMGGGGGGG when I saw this on your Snap story I was stoked. Now I’m like REALLY stoked because I have the golden recipe!!! So pinning this and so making this. Is it weird if I admit that split pea soup has been a pregnancy craving of mine? WITH hash browns. Heavenly….

Jennifer
    February 14, 2016 at 6:32 pm

This soup looks fantastic! Split peas are a great source of protein. They’re really cheap, too!

February 15, 2016 at 1:13 pm

exactly! awesome source of plant-protein and super cheap too!

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    February 14, 2016 at 6:04 pm

Love it! I like ham and carrots in it πŸ™‚

February 15, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Never tried it with ham but I’m sure it would be delish!

Kelly @ Eat the Gains
    February 14, 2016 at 11:16 am

I don’t think I have ever had split pea soup! Your version sounds super tasty.

Rachel
    February 14, 2016 at 11:16 am

I have never, ever posted a comment on a blog before but I had to comment on UB pea soup….my all time favorite soup and most nostalgic food item for me for sure. I didn’t even realize you were a Torontonian before this! United holds really fond memories for me. It was my Grandmother’s go-to until she was 100 and my kids just love when I take them there and they get a sprinkle cookie of their own. Thanks for making me smile today and I can’t wait to try to duplicate the soup at home!

February 15, 2016 at 1:17 pm

Thank you for commenting Rachel! I love how special UB is for so many families. It’s such a warm and welcoming place that holds so many dear memories for us and many others. How sweet to hear some of your own story with them. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Ashley @ Fit Mitten Kitchen
    February 14, 2016 at 11:07 am

So I have to ask… is split pea soup a Canadian thing? Because it always reminds me of our annual Canada camping trip, when one of our family friends was making split pea soup for lunch and I A. had never had it and B. had never heard of it… but that could also partly be due to the fact that I grew up as a picky eater with almost equally picky eater parents…

However I am fairly certain I would like me some split pea soup these days πŸ˜‰

February 15, 2016 at 1:15 pm

haha I don’t think it’s a Canadian thing?! I’ve had it in the states before I think? I need to take your pea soup cherry πŸ˜‰

Bita
    February 14, 2016 at 11:02 am

That’s a sweet story Davida – thanks for sharing πŸ˜‰ xo Bita

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    February 14, 2016 at 10:54 am

I LOVE split peas! Which is funny, because I kinda hated them when I was a kid: big lover of regular green peas but didn’t care for the taste of the yellow split peas. This changed when I grew up and cooked split peas myself.

About 1,5 years ago I made a recipe of split pea soup with yoghurt that was so delicious that not only have I since made it regularly, but made me decide that if i ever publish a cookbook this recipe must be featured as my gift to humanity πŸ˜‰

PS: And did C love UB’s meals? πŸ˜‰

February 15, 2016 at 1:18 pm

Of course he did πŸ™‚ Funny cause I hated regular green peas but have always loved split peas! I’ve sort of grown out of that pickiness though, thankfully!

February 14, 2016 at 10:38 am

This actually looks really good! It will probably taste really amazing!!

lois
    February 14, 2016 at 9:57 am

Do you only cook this soup 20 minutes? Doesn’t it take much longer to cook split peas?

February 15, 2016 at 1:16 pm

It cooks for 30 minutes total but if you’re finding yours need a bit longer, feel free to continue simmering. I’ve never had mine require more than 30 though πŸ™‚

Lisy
    February 14, 2016 at 9:06 am

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Do you think this recipe would work with yellow/red split peas?

Victoria
    February 14, 2016 at 6:26 am

Sounds delicious! I love food that reminds of fond memories. I think for me it would be PB&J sandwiches, I was the most picky eater growing up (which is kind of ironic since I now have a food blog lol), so I lived off of PB&J for years. Although I don’t eat them in the same fashion anymore, I still enjoy making lots of PB&J inspired eats!

February 15, 2016 at 1:19 pm

I was so picky I wouldn’t eat jam! I wanted peanut butter sandwiches exclusively. I feel ya, sista πŸ˜‰

1 2 3