Spring has arrived and with it comes an abundance of seasonal produce! Use those fresh veggies in this Spring Vegetable Soup topped with Garlicky Croutons for a new soup favorite as the seasons turn.
Hello spring! Or should I say, hello seasonal allergies!
I have a love-hate relationship with spring. Warmer weather, blooming flowers, the first of the non-squash produce, I love it all. But it also means endless sneezing, post-nasal drip and itchy eyes. That’s where the hate piece comes in.
When I was living on the East Coast, I was able to get my seasonal allergies under control. I usually had a week in the spring and fall when they were bad, but otherwise I could get away without taking my allergy meds and use my protocol of raw, local honey, bee pollen and essential oil diffusing. Those other two weeks? Prescription allergy meds FTW!
But since moving out to California, I feel like I entered a whole new territory of allergies. As it turns out, I’m allergic to California.
When I was allergy tested as a youngin’, my arm swelled up from alder tree. For whatever reason, alder wasn’t super popular around where I was living so my allergies were a lot more manageable, but apparently the Bay Area is full of them!
This, as it turns out, is a necessary evil of moving to a place that skips winter. Oh and the fact that it rained like hell through the winter months so San Francisco is a bloomin’.
But with the blooms also comes an abundance of deliciously, beautiful seasonal produce. And because I far too quickly adopted the Bay Area lifestyle, it’s all delivered straight to your door.
So I thought to celebrate the beginning of spring and the soon-to-be end of Souper Sunday, we’d whip up a flavorful Spring Vegetable Soup made with spring’s harvest abundance.
Asparagus, peas, onions and garlic all make up some of spring’s finest and also make this the perfect soup segue as the weather decides if it will be warm or cold out today.
I topped this soup with some garlicky croutons made with my favorite Simply Organic Garlic Powder. I use this stuff on everything. Mostly because chopping garlic is a huge pain in the butt and why bother when you can sprinkle it with this goodness?
So whether it’s snowing outside or you’re sneezing into a pile of tissues, I hope this soup fills you with warmth and good vibes, because Summer, my friends, is just around the corner!Print
Spring Vegetable Soup with Garlicky Croutons
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 bowls of soup 1x
For the Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Garlicky Croutons:
- 1 1/2 lb loaf of sourdough bread, ideally a day or two old*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
For The Soup:
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add in onion and saute for 3-5 mins or until translucent.
- Add in minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in asparagus and peas and top with diced tomatoes, stock, rosemary, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook for 40 mins.
- Add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
For the Garlicky Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut loaf into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces.
- Add pieces to a large bowl and coat with olive oil and garlic powder.
- Use your hands to make sure all pieces are coated.
- Spread over a baking sheet and bake for 5 mins.
- Remove from oven and toss pieces.
- Return to oven and cook for another 5-7 mins or until croutons have reached desired crispiness.
- Top onto soup before serving.
- Keep extra croutons in a brown paper bag to ensure they stay firm.
*I prefer to leave the crust on but you can cut it off if desired.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Simply Organic. I was compensated for my time, however all opinions are 100% my own.
Do you like spring? What’s your favorite spring produce?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!