Hello spring! Or should I say, hello seasonal allergies!
I have a love-hate relationship with spring. Warmer weather, blooming flowers, the first of the non-squash produce, I love it all. But it also means endless sneezing, post-nasal drip and itchy eyes. That’s where the hate piece comes in.
I’m curious to see how my allergies will be in Minnesota. When I was living on the East Coast, I was able to get my seasonal allergies under control but California was a whole different ball game. I was basically allergic to California…
But onto this soup! It’s made with spring’s harvest – asparagus, peas, onions and garlic. It’s the perfect meal for when the weather is trying to decide if it will be warm or cold out today.
Spring Vegetable Soup Ingredients
- vegetables – onion, garlic cloves, asparagus and peas.
- canned diced tomatoes
- vegetable stock – you can make your own or buy vegetable stock.
- olive oil
- seasonings and spices – dried rosemary, dried parsley, salt and pepper.
- sourdough bread and garlic powder – to make homemade croutons!
How to Make Homemade Vegetable Soup
STEP 1: Add olive oil to a large stock pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
STEP 2: Add in the minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add in the asparagus, peas, diced tomatoes, vegetable stock, rosemary, parsley and salt and pepper.
STEP 3: Bring mixture to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook for 40 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste as needed.
How to Make Garlicky Croutons
STEP 1: Cut the loaf of sourdough into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces. I like leaving the crust on but you can remove if you want!
STEP 2: Add pieces to a large bowl and coat with olive oil and garlic powder. Use your hands to make sure all of the pieces of bread are well coated.
STEP 3: Spread over a baking sheet and bake at 400ºF for 5 minutes.
STEP 4: Remove from the oven and toss. Return to the oven and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the croutons have reached your desired level of crispiness.
Store any leftover croutons in a brown paper bag to ensure that they stay firm!
How to Serve Vegetable Soup
I love this soup served fresh topped with garlicky croutons! If you don’t have the ingredients or time to make croutons, you could serve with bread on the side, with crackers or even a side salad if you want some added vegetables.Print
Spring Vegetable Soup with Garlicky Croutons
Spring has arrived and with it comes an abundance of seasonal produce! Use those fresh veggies in this Spring Vegetable Soup topped with Garlicky Croutons for a new soup favorite as the seasons turn.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 bowls of soup 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Cook
- Diet: Vegan
For the Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 head asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup peas (frozen is fine)
- 2 14 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Garlicky Croutons:
- 1 1/2 lb loaf of sourdough bread, ideally a day or two old*
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
For The Soup:
- Add olive oil to a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Add in onion and saute for 3-5 mins or until translucent.
- Add in minced garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add in asparagus and peas and top with diced tomatoes, stock, rosemary, parsley and salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer and cook for 40 mins.
- Add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
For the Garlicky Croutons:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut loaf into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces.
- Add pieces to a large bowl and coat with olive oil and garlic powder.
- Use your hands to make sure all pieces are coated.
- Spread over a baking sheet and bake for 5 mins.
- Remove from oven and toss pieces.
- Return to oven and cook for another 5-7 mins or until croutons have reached desired crispiness.
- Top onto soup before serving.
- Keep extra croutons in a brown paper bag to ensure they stay firm.
*I prefer to leave the crust on but you can cut it off if desired.
Keywords: spring vegetable soup, vegetable soup, garlicky croutons
Like this post? Here are more soup recipes to try:
- Vegetarian Tortilla Soup
- Healthy Minestrone Soup
- Detox Vegetable Soup
- Heirloom Carrot Ginger Soup
- Split Pea Soup
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!