Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Turkey Sweet Potato Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long for dinner or lunches alike.
I would say that in general, I follow the seasons with my eating habits… I crave salads in the summer and cozier, heartier meals in the winter. Since living in San Francisco that all kind of goes out the window. We have warm days year round and cool days in the middle of summer. It’s strange but I love it.
So when it comes to chili, I honestly eat this year round. I know that’s not the case for most of you so I practiced some self-control and waited until an acceptable month to share this delicious turkey sweet potato chili recipe with you.
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili Ingredients:
- Ground turkey – you can use lean ground turkey if you prefer but either lean or full fat will both work
- Vegetables – sweet potato, onion, bell peppers, jalapeno and garlic
- Canned items – diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans and kidney beans
- Seasonings and spices – chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, sea salt and black pepper
RELATED: The Best Ever Cornbread Recipe
How to Make Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
STEP 1: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, add turkey and cook until browned.
STEP 2: Add in the onions and cook until softened.
STEP 3: Add in the peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another two minutes.
STEP 4: Add the spices, canned items and sweet potato and bring the mixture to a boil.
STEP 5: Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes or until a desired consistency is reached. The longer you cook it, the thicker your turkey sweet potato chili will be!
What to Serve with Chili
The best thing about chili is that it’s a complete meal in one. I love dishing up a big bowl and topping it with a variety of toppings. Here are some we rotate through:
- tortilla chips
- sliced avocado
- sour cream or Greek yogurt
- shredded cheese,
- green onions.
Although this recipe is packed with vegetables, you could serve turkey sweet potato chili with a side salad as well. Whip up your favorite combination of dressing and greens or make this brussels sprout salad.Print
Sweet Potato Turkey Chili
Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long for dinner or lunches alike.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 bowls 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 lb ground turkey (lean, if preferred)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (deseed if you don’t like spice)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed (no need to skin)
- 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned (About 3-4 mins).
- Add in onions and cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add in peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- Add in sweet potato, spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans and bring mix to a boil. If mixture is too thick add in 1/2-1 cup water.
- Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes, uncovered or until desired consistency is reached.
Keywords: Chili, Turkey chili, Sweet potato chili, turkey sweet potato chili
Like this turkey chilli? Here are other recipes you might enjoy:
- Vegetarian Quinoa Chili
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Heirloom Carrot Ginger Soup
- My Go-To Healing Bowl
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!