chili dinner Fall Featured gluten-free winter

Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

September 22, 2020

Lightened-up chili using ground turkey and sweet potato! This Sweet Potato Turkey Chili can be made in one-pot and will feed you all fall and winter long for dinner or lunches alike.

I would say that in general, I follow the seasons with my eating habits… I crave salads in the summer and cozier, heartier meals in the winter. Since living in San Francisco that all kind of goes out the window. We have warm days year round and cool days in the middle of summer. It’s strange but I love it.

So when it comes to chili, I honestly eat this year round. I know that’s not the case for most of you so I practiced some self-control and waited until an acceptable month to share this delicious recipe.

Sweet Potato Turkey Chili Ingredients:

• Ground turkey
  • Vegetables – sweet potato, onion, bell peppers, jalapeno and garlic
  • Canned items – diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans and kidney beans
  • Seasonings and spices – chili powder, ground cumin, dried oregano, sea salt and black pepper

RELATED: The Best Ever Cornbread Recipe

How to Make Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

STEP 1: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat, add turkey and cook until browned.

STEP 2: Add in the onions and cook until softened.

STEP 3: Add in the peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another two minutes.

STEP 4: Add the spices, canned items and sweet potato and bring the mixture to a boil.

STEP 5: Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes or until a desired consistency is reached. The longer you cook it, the thicker your sweet potato turkey chili will be!

What to Serve with Chili

The best thing about chili is that it’s a complete meal in one. I love dishing up a big bowl and topping it with a variety of toppings. Here are some we rotate through: tortilla chips, sliced avocado, sour cream or Greek yogurt, cheese, and/or green onions.

You also can’t go wrong serving it alongside sweet potato cornbread or pumpkin cornbread. Are you a cornbread on the side, crumbled up cornbread on top or a cornbread dipper?!

Although this recipe is packed with vegetables, you could serve chili with a side salad as well. Whip up your favorite combination of dressing and greens or make this brussels sprout salad.

Sweet Potato Turkey Chili

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 30 minutes
  • Total Time: 45 minutes
  • Yield: 8 bowls 1x
  • Category: Dinner
  • Method: Cook
  • Cuisine: American
  • Diet: Gluten Free

Scale
  • 1 lb ground turkey (lean, if preferred)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 bell peppers, chopped
  • 1 jalapeño, chopped (deseed if you don’t like spice)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 large sweet potato, cubed (no need to skin)
  • 2 1/2 tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add ground turkey and cook until browned (About 3-4 mins).
  2. Add in onions and cook for 3 more minutes.
  3. Add in peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
  4. Add in sweet potato, spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and beans and bring mix to a boil. If mixture is too thick add in 1/2-1 cup water.
  5. Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes, uncovered or until desired consistency is reached.

Keywords: Chili, Turkey chili, Sweet potato chili

Like this turkey chili? Here are other recipes you might enjoy:

Janet
    December 9, 2015 at 12:06 am

Thank you for the great recipe. It was a big winner with my whole family last night. It was delicious with a dollop of natural yoghurt on top. I found I needed to add a little water to it.

The Healthy Maven
      December 9, 2015 at 4:37 pm

So happy to hear that! Yes- it can be pretty thick. Glad you solved the issue and had a delicious dinner!

Tina
    November 6, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I can’t wait to make this! Is 1 sweet potato really enough or could I add a couple?

November 8, 2015 at 9:42 pm

I big one, yes! But feel free to add as many as you like 🙂

Lisa
    October 25, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I made this for my book club this week and it was a HUGE hit. I’ve tried lots of chili recipes and this is now my new favorite!

October 25, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Aw I’m so happy to hear that! It’s my favorite chili recipe too. So happy you liked it!

Ellen Eisner
    October 11, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Just made this tonight – YUM! Absolutely delicious and the sweet potato adds something so special. Thanks for the recipe!

October 12, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thank you, Ellen! I’m so happy to hear it. It’s probably my favorite chili recipe. Glad you enjoyed!

Lily
    October 5, 2015 at 9:18 am

I saw this and brought the products the next day and made it that evening! It was very tasty its definitely another Gluten Free dinner i am adding to my list! Thank you xo

Art
    September 28, 2015 at 8:05 pm

But warm weather and chili goes so well together! Call me weird or whatever but I like my chili and any hot food better during the warmer days of the year. But then again, I think it has to do with the fact that I like to sweat a lot. It’s just so satisfying to burn a lot of fat while you just sit there and eat. Haha! I’m not sure about the science behind that though.

September 29, 2015 at 6:20 am

haha to each his own! I also eat soup in the summer. That’s likely because I enjoy the convenience of a one-pot meal year round 🙂

Kristina
    September 28, 2015 at 2:57 am

I am so jelous about the weather. If only I could live somewhere where it’s sunny and warm. I guess the only good thing about living in a place where it’s chilly is that I can make this chili without feeling all weird haha. I love this recipe!

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    September 27, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I mean, is there ever a bad time for chili? I’m thinking…not. And I’m sad to say in Seattle we have not had an endless summer – fall started right on time. I guess that just means I’ll eat more chili! This looks delish, I’ll definitely need to give it a try soon!

rachel @ athletic avocado
    September 27, 2015 at 12:42 pm

i don’t wait for fall to come before i eat chili either! it’s a year round thing for me, i love that it’s made in one pot so the clean up is a breeze! this recipes a keeper for sure, pinning 🙂

September 27, 2015 at 1:30 pm

I totally agree! Convenience will always win out for me!

She Rocks Fitness
    September 27, 2015 at 11:03 am

Celery is an interesting craving…HAHA! I have been all about those sweet potatoes…Oh wait that is all the time! So good and so sweet and cannot wait to make this sometime this winter, when I’m freezing my booty off! Happy Sunday!

September 27, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Right?! I feel like craving celery is a sign that I’m deficient in something..maybe sanity? lol

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    September 27, 2015 at 9:31 am

Oh gosh I want this for dinner tonight! With cool weather finally I’m craving chili.

September 27, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Those Pecan Pumpkin Pie Bars for dessert! Yes.Please.

Sarah C
    September 27, 2015 at 7:47 am

This sounds absolutely wonderful!

1 2 3