travel Wellness

A Weekend In Montreal

May 19, 2014

Well this picture just about sums up my weekend in Montreal: sunshine, hats, peanut butter m&ms and park chills.

IMG_4367We were there for a short 48 hours, but we managed to pack in quite a few activities. Trips to Montreal always involve some old favourites and new additions to our never-ending Montreal bucket list. It’s been exactly 3 years since I graduated from McGill so lots naturally lots of nostalgia was to be had. At the same time it was also reassuring that I’ve accomplished a couple of things since receiving my alumni status.

In addition to recapping the weekend, I figured I would throw in some of my Montreal favs for anyone who might be visiting in the future. No surprise most of them involve food 🙂

After a long train ride I arrived to a very rainy Montreal, which quite literally put a damper on our plans. Although I must admit I was more than happy once I had a glass of wine in hand from Bier Markt(who gets wine at a bier markt?!) and a wild night at the movies seeing Neighbors, which by the way was pee-your-pants hilarious!

The following morning we met up with friends at Lawrence, an absolutely delicious brunch spot. Some of my other favourite brunch spots: Chez Jose, Beauty’s and Bagels Etc.

brunchFollowing brunch we bopped around Montreal watching the Habs get crushed by the Rangers. It was so sad to watch so I drowned my sorrows in Bloody Marys. Other bars that I love: Else’s, Mme Lee, and Big in Japan Bar.

habs gameI was sooooooo hungry for dinner so I went a bit overboard with the tacos at Burritoville, an awesome vegetarian Mexican restaurant. Montreal has it’s fair share of indulgent restaurants but you can also find quite a few healthy and plant-based options. My favourites include: Aux Vivres, Cafe Santropol and Crudessence.

burritovilleYou can’t visit Montreal without visiting the campus of my alma mater, McGill. McGill is unique in that it is a huge university in the heart of a big city but still has the most glorious fields where students can lay out on the grass and chill between classes. That is when it isn’t snowing 8 months of the year…Don’t ask me my other favourite schools, because no others exist.

IMG_4296Did you know that Montreal is actually built on a mountain? In the summer months the park that lines Mont Royal is taken over by hippies and their drums, which is affectionately called “Tamtams”. Even if you aren’t crunchy granola, the rest of Montreal still comes out to play for tamtams. With the glorious weather, there was absolutely no chance I was missing out.

IMG_4364And no visit would be complete without the best sandwich in Montreal, the camembert on an arepa from Bocadillos. I probably just got myself in trouble for saying that since most people would say the Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich from Schwartz’s is pretty epic. It is definitely delicious as are the bagels from Fairmont Bagels. I don’t care what anyone says, nothing compares to Montreal bagels.

camembertAnd now here I am, watching The Avengers with C on the train. I often forget how important it is to set time aside where your attention is fully focused on the ones you love. I’m glad I was able to detach and make the most of our time in a city that will forever have my heart.

Despite all of the fun, I am looking forward to getting home and getting back on track. My body is craving some veggies!

Parita @ myinnershakti
    May 19, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I’ve only been to Canada twice. And both times were to see Niagra Falls. While I would love for that to count as me visiting your wonderful country, I don’t think it does! I really want to see more. One of these we will be making a trip up north! I think my favorite US city is Chicago (at least in the summer time!).

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    May 19, 2014 at 12:14 pm

So glad you had a fab weekend! It looks like fun and a lot warmer than I expected Montreal to be 😉
    Have you ever had pretzel m&ms? I literally gained five pounds sophomore year solely from eating those constantly. They’re addictive.

Casey
    May 19, 2014 at 12:00 pm

This looks like so much fun! And I’m definitely drooling over the food! I’ve never been to Montreal, but it looks lovely! 🙂

Alex @ Kenzie Life
    May 19, 2014 at 11:31 am

You totally look like a model, especially in that first picture. I’m glad you had a great weekend! I really want to go back and visit my alma mater. Athens is the city that will forever have a piece of my heart. I only spent a semester studying there but it changed my life forever. For US cities–it’s Boston. Have a great week, babe!

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    May 19, 2014 at 11:11 am

Looks like a super fun weekend!

I love going back to my university city – although it reminds me how old I am, I graduated 7 years ago!! Eeek!

Ps you look lovely in all your pics! You can tell you were enjoying yourself!

Mary Frances
    May 19, 2014 at 10:42 am

Did anyone tell you how stinking cute you are? I wish my trip photos were as fun and pretty as yours! 🙂 Looks like you got some great eats in – I was in Montreal last summer, but didn’t find any of these places. *sigh* I know for next time!

Kelly - LEFT SIDE OF THE TABLE
    May 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

PB m&m’s are my absolute FAV! I actually don’t eat m&m’s unless they’re PB or Peanut. Montreal sounds lovely, haven’t been. I haven’t been anywhere in Canada actually in quite sometime. Sad thing is, I live in MN and Canada is only 4 hours or so away! I’m thinking i’m going to have to make a trip real soon. The food sounds pretty darn good in Montreal…and that sandwich…my goodness!! 😀 Thanks for sharing about your trip, Davida!

cait @pieceofcait
    May 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

Love the pic of you sitting eating pb M&Ms.. girl after my own heart 🙂 Looks the the perfect 48 hour getaway!

Archana @ The Perfect Zest
    May 19, 2014 at 10:13 am

We love Montreal and we went a few years ago on our anniversary weekend. We have a thing about visiting universities and visited McGill – it has a special place in our life. My husband was McGill bound many years ago – and he was very excited. For personal reasons back then it didnt work out. He wanted to go see the university he would’ve attended and what it all looked and felt like.

I wished I had this food recommendation list when we went – we pretty much hit all the touristy spots instead.

Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat
    May 19, 2014 at 9:57 am

What a fun weekend! I’ve never been to Montreal before, but I’m sure I would love it! I always enjoy seeing new cities, so hopefully one day I’ll get there!

I love the Avengers! Such a good movie!

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    May 19, 2014 at 9:14 am

I’ve never been to Montreal. I speak Spanish and tend to visit the Latino places more. I love LA, Paris, Madrid and Singapore.

May 19, 2014 at 8:58 am

Ughhh I want to go to Montreal. I’ve been once, but I think I was about nine so needless to say I didn’t appreciate it as much as I would now. And Eric would come with me, because he’s poutine-obsessed so I think he’d be happy there 😉
    And Neighbours is definitely on my list of movies to see…although we’re going to see Godzilla today which I’m really excited about!

1 2 3 4