Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I’m off to Park City Utah, Yellowstone and Jackson Hole, Wyoming in a few days. I’m soooo looking forward to disconnecting and being outside in nature. Don’t confuse this with camping because that is something I don’t do. I’m all about spending the day outside but then I need to be able to come home, shower and sleep in a nice comfy bed. New-age camping is what I call it.

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls // thehealthymaven.com Last week I talked a bit about my philosophy on eating while on vacation. Health and eating my veggies are important to me, but a girl’s gotta indulge if ya know what I mean. Live a little, people! I’m not one to pack healthy snacks with me or have my breakfast planned out for the week. I just go with the flow. BUT I also live in fear of being stuck at the top of a mountain with my stomach grumbling and questioning whether or not it would be safer for those around me for me to just jump off the edge.

Don’t worry, I don’t have a death wish but hangry Davs is not someone you want to be around. I’m irritable and snappy and just plain nasty. My poor family and C has put up with her for years and I suspect it really makes them question that whole unconditional love thing. So for their sake I am coming prepared. By this I mean I am reserving a special place in my suitcase for my balls. There’s a possibility I may have some explaining to do at airport security…

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls // thehealthymaven.com As much as I love a good chocolatey ball, I am far more likely to go for a fruity one. And even though you’re probably sick of me telling you this for the 1000th time, lemon is my favourite flavour. The dates and nuts which make up the majority of the ingredients are what gives you the energy and the protein powder gives them more staying power. I also threw in some maca powder which is a natural energy booster made from a peruvian root plant so that my brother doesn’t end up carrying me down a cliff.

I maybe should have considered NOT entirely neglecting working out over the past few months but I’m hoping these Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls will help to make up for my lack of stamina. Balls FTW! I kind of want that made into a t-shirt…

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls

Rating: 51

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 20 balls

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls

• 1 cup raw almonds
  • 1 cup pitted dates*
  • 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder**
  • 2 tsp maca powder (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • zest, 1 lemon
  • juice, 1/2 lemon

1. Add almonds to a food processor and process until it reaches a crumbly consistency.
  2. Add in dates, protein powder and maca powder and process until combined.
  3. Add in sea salt, lemon zest and juice and continue processing until mixture comes together into one big sticky ball.
  4. Break up into 20 pieces and roll pieces into balls.
  5. Store in refrigerator for several weeks or longer in freezer.

Notes

*If dates are not sticky, soak in warm water for 30 minutes and then drain. **I use vanilla whey but any protein powder will work.

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls // thehealthymaven.com Do you pack snacks when you go on vacation? Do you have a “hangry” alter-ego?

p.s. Happy Canada Day to all of my Canadian folk!

Comments

1. says

One of my best friends always thinks to plan our plans around my appetite. She always says that I must be fed 20 minutes before I say I am hungry otherwise we will have a problem lol. I never leave the house unprepared if I know I will be out for more than an hour or two and always make sure to eat a meal early if plans cut into a meal time. One must never be hungry and away from finding food!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…How To Become A Morning Runner

2. says

Oh please yes, make that into a shirt! I’d totally buy it!
    Also, these bars must be what dreams are made of – lemon and vanilla? sign me in! I’m not one to plan snacks when I travel either (because discovering new supermarkets and buying your own is way more fun hehe I just love supermarkets!), but I think I’d absolutely have room in my suitcase for a handful of these babies ;)
    Havea nice trip and try not to fall off a mountain, please. We’d miss you.
    Consuelo – Honey & Figs recently posted…Baked Zoatmeal Cakes with Tahini Drizzle

3. says

Ah I added maca to my energy balls recently – they do give you a good boost of energy so you will be fine hiking around the mountains! They taste is really good too – like malteasers!
    Ha I can get so hangry. Johnny is really bad to and we can have insane arguments if we are both hangry – then we eat and we are in love again haha. SO ridiculous. I carry snacks to combat the issue ;)
    Have a fabulous break!!
    Lauren recently posted…Chocolate Crunch Energy Balls

4. says

Ah! I love lemon flavor too. I totally want to make these and this time REALLY. Just someone makes my move already been done and my kitchen sorted, so I can start making BALLS and don’t need to eat out of tupperwares on moving boxes.
    I am famous for my love for cursing, but when I get hungry it is not even funny anymore. My friends with children hate me for that.
    Enjoy your trip love! So jealous!!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Nothing some booze can’t fix

5. says

I have tried to deny my hanger for years, but I have finally accepted it and just work to combat it now. And one of the ways to do that is with snacks! I need to make a whole list of the healthy snacks out there for when I’m working long days in grad school. Pretty sure I won’t make any friends in Chicago if their first impression of me is that I’m a raging you know what.

6. says

I’ve never heard of maca before! That is new to me. I’m going to make energy balls…I’m going to do it for real! Have a fabulous time on your trip! It sounds like it is going to be amazing!!!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Baby Weekend

7. says

When on vacation I tend to use Starbucks as my way of getting through the day between meals. Especially in big cities the food options are more and I can’t get enough coffee drinks typically. Enjoy your vaca! I would definitely eat those energy balls!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…Pregnancy Journey – 34 Weeks

8. says

I love making energy balls as snacks, but 99% of the time the prominent flavour is chocolate, dates, coconut, or almond butter. I don’t think I’ve ever made lemon balls before but you’ve got me intrigued!

As for travelling, I tend to go with the flow. And it usually always works out. Like this weekend when I went camping with JZ and his friends, they grilled up the most delicious Bosnian beef/lamb meatballs for a late night snack!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…The first step to weight loss

9. says

Mmmm I’m going hiking later this week and these would be perfect! I always bring little snacky balls with me as I too am afraid of my grumpy hunger coming out haha ;p
    Enjoy your trip!

10. says

call them amaze-balls! I need to make such snacks more coz I’m terrible when hangry.. absolutely the worst person to be around.

I like the addition of protien and maca – can you find maca at whole foods or TJs?

11. says

I’d wear that t-shirt ;)

Balls are my favorite quick bite (mostly because my granola bars always seem to fall apart) but I never thought to try a fruit flavor before! Heres hoping these bites of lemony goodness see you through the hiking.
    Sarah Pie recently posted…Slices of Life #6

12. April says

ummm these balls are amazing. i really love them! alexis (of course) told me they were good and im so happy i made them! i didnt have maca powder and my lemon was small so i used alllllll the juice. total yum. your bars and balls rock, girl! gimme s’more of that deliciousness. adding to the list (in my head) along with your cinn roll and choc mint protein bars. guess i should try more b/c you are 3 for 3! #winning

Trackbacks