balls/bites gluten-free paleo snacks vegan

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls

July 1, 2014

Made from nuts, dates and protein powder these Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls will give you the boost you need to make it through the day. The perfect portable snack for life on the run!

As I mentioned in yesterday’s post, I’m off to Park City Utah, Yellowstone and Jackson Hole, Wyoming in a few days. I’m soooo looking forward to disconnecting and being outside in nature. Don’t confuse this with camping because that is something I don’t do. I’m all about spending the day outside but then I need to be able to come home, shower and sleep in a nice comfy bed. New-age camping is what I call it.

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls // thehealthymaven.com

Last week I talked a bit about my philosophy on eating while on vacation. Health and eating my veggies are important to me, but a girl’s gotta indulge if ya know what I mean. Live a little, people! I’m not one to pack healthy snacks with me or have my breakfast planned out for the week. I just go with the flow. BUT I also live in fear of being stuck at the top of a mountain with my stomach grumbling and questioning whether or not it would be safer for those around me for me to just jump off the edge.

Don’t worry, I don’t have a death wish but hangry Davs is not someone you want to be around. I’m irritable and snappy and just plain nasty. My poor family and C has put up with her for years and I suspect it really makes them question that whole unconditional love thing. So for their sake I am coming prepared. By this I mean I am reserving a special place in my suitcase for my balls. There’s a possibility I may have some explaining to do at airport security…

RELATED: Blueberry Muffin Energy Balls

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls // thehealthymaven.com

As much as I love a good chocolatey ball, I am far more likely to go for a fruity one. And even though you’re probably sick of me telling you this for the 1000th time, lemon is my favourite flavour. The dates and nuts which make up the majority of the ingredients are what gives you the energy and the protein powder gives them more staying power. I also threw in some maca powder which is a natural energy booster made from a peruvian root plant so that my brother doesn’t end up carrying me down a cliff.

I maybe should have considered NOT entirely neglecting working out over the past few months but I’m hoping these Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls will help to make up for my lack of stamina. Balls FTW! I kind of want that made into a t-shirt…

Lemon Vanilla Energy Balls

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Total Time: 20 minutes
  • Yield: 20 balls 1x

Scale
  • 1 cup raw almonds
  • 1 cup pitted dates*
  • 1/2 cup vanilla protein powder**
  • 2 tsp maca powder (optional)
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • zest, 1 lemon
  • juice, 1/2 lemon

1. Add almonds to a food processor and process until it reaches a crumbly consistency.
  2. Add in dates, protein powder and maca powder and process until combined.
  3. Add in sea salt, lemon zest and juice and continue processing until mixture comes together into one big sticky ball.
  4. Break up into 20 pieces and roll pieces into balls.
  5. Store in refrigerator for several weeks or longer in freezer.

*If dates are not sticky, soak in warm water for 30 minutes and then drain.
**I use Vega One French Vanilla but any protein powder will work.

Jo
    January 3, 2015 at 2:58 pm

These look delicious and I look forward to making them when I get some decent vanilla powder. Bought some that turned out to be inedible. Hard to know before you buy. It was the same brand as the chocolate powder that I really like (Natural Factors). So I bought their vanilla and strawberry and they’re both horrible. Grr. Big waste of money. In the meantime I will make these with chocolate and orange!

January 3, 2015 at 4:48 pm

nothing worse than wasting your money on protein powder! I’m a fan of North Coast Naturals and Designer Whey if you’re looking for some good vanilla brands 🙂

April
    October 24, 2014 at 10:40 am

ummm these balls are amazing. i really love them! alexis (of course) told me they were good and im so happy i made them! i didnt have maca powder and my lemon was small so i used alllllll the juice. total yum. your bars and balls rock, girl! gimme s’more of that deliciousness. adding to the list (in my head) along with your cinn roll and choc mint protein bars. guess i should try more b/c you are 3 for 3! #winning

July 7, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I never think of lemon balls… I don’t know why, so summery and refreshing! Davida does it again!

Joanne
    July 3, 2014 at 7:49 am

I ALWAYS have snacks on hand…because hangry Joanne is possibly equally as inconsolable as hangry Davida!!

And I would totally buy your balls t-shirt. That would make my life.

Sue
    July 3, 2014 at 7:44 am

They look great! Do you have the nutritional content on them?

July 3, 2014 at 1:35 am

Ohhh yea, I pack mega snacks when I travel because I too get hangry very easily! Have a fab time on vacation Davida!!

Sarah Pie
    July 2, 2014 at 9:22 pm

I’d wear that t-shirt 😉

Balls are my favorite quick bite (mostly because my granola bars always seem to fall apart) but I never thought to try a fruit flavor before! Heres hoping these bites of lemony goodness see you through the hiking.

Archana @ The Perfect Zest
    July 2, 2014 at 1:39 pm

call them amaze-balls! I need to make such snacks more coz I’m terrible when hangry.. absolutely the worst person to be around.

I like the addition of protien and maca – can you find maca at whole foods or TJs?

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    July 2, 2014 at 1:01 pm

I am ALL about “new-age camping.” Can I come with you?!
    I also love lemon and I love balls. Wait, what?

Katie @ 24 Carrot Life
    July 1, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Yum! I loved your lime pistachio energy balls from a while back so I am definitely giving these a try. Being trapped on a mountain with nothing to eat is probably my biggest fear in life.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables
    July 1, 2014 at 9:32 pm

enjoy your vacation girl!! I love Park City! I always pack snacks like this because I get hangry if I don’t!

kimmythevegan
    July 1, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Mmmm I’m going hiking later this week and these would be perfect! I always bring little snacky balls with me as I too am afraid of my grumpy hunger coming out haha ;p
    Enjoy your trip!