One thing I failed to mention in my Cons of Blogging post is how you must be overwhelmingly organized and planful to be successful at blogging. If you know me well, you know I am neither of these things. Don’t get me wrong, I am very clean but you’re not about to find me colour-coordinating my t-shirts. I’m lucky if I fold them!
A lot of bloggers stress the importance of having a content calendar which outlines exactly what you plan to post on each day for the coming weeks and sometimes months. To be a part of the cool club, I too have a content calendar. The problem is that I can never seem to follow it.
I suppose on some level it keeps me on track but I’m very quick to bump something or swap things around because I cannot wait to post it! And then there are other times when something gets pushed back because it doesn’t feel like the right time to post it. This is precisely what happened with these Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers.
Please don’t ask me what might be considered a “right” time to post veggie burgers because I truly have to response.
Sometimes things come up and you find yourself using your last zucchini in chocolate muffins. Other times your main man requests some coffee-rubbed steak for dinner so trying to swap in a black burger in place of beef just isn’t gonna cut it. And other times you cannot for the life of you remember where you wrote down your to-do list…just me?
I used to be a pretty uptight person but over the years have significantly chilled out. This is not to be confused with low-maintenance, something I definitely am NOT, but I’m much better able to run with the punches than I used to be. Occasionally this may lead to taking 2 months to post these Spicy Zucchini Black Bean Burgers. C’est la vie.
Do I think you need to be on top of yo shiznat to be a successful blogger? yes. But I also think you need to be flexible and okay with things not going according to plan. Then again I just said “shiznat”, so what do I know?!
Serves: 5 patties
- 2 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 large zucchini), squeezed of excess liquid
- 2 T ground flax
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 T chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Take 3/4 of black beans (about 1 1/2 cups) and add to a large bowl. Mash with a potato masher or back of a fork until it has formed a sticky paste.
- Add in remainder of black beans, grated zucchini, flax, garlic and spices and use hands to mix together.
- Form into 5 patties. Do not flatten too much. Should be thick.
- Place patties on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet and bake for 10 mins.
- Remove and flip. If patty breaks slightly, push back together using hands.
- Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired toppings. I ate mine in a gluten-free burger bun.
Would you consider yourself an organized person? Any tips to helping me organize better? Besides hiring Meghan of course…
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!