appetizers dips gluten-free

Healthy Baba Ghanoush

August 15, 2013

If you haven’t heard about it Amy at Long Drive Journey has started a new link-up! She is featuring one veggie and one fruit each month and challenging her readers to come up with new recipes using the featured ingredient. I think it’s a fab idea and am so excited about joining in on this month’s link-up. For August the vegetable is eggplant and the fruit is strawberries. I’ll be honest, I was a bit dismayed when I heard the first veggie pick was eggplant. It is probably my least favourite vegetable. I find it can be bland and doesn’t always sit well in my tummy. But I vowed to conquer my distaste and give this veggie a second shot! (Plus I love Amy and there was no way I wasn’t going to participate). I jumped the gun a bit by posting before the end of the month but patience has never really been my strong-suit.

Healthy Baba GhanoushI got to researching different dishes featuring eggplants that I’ve liked in the past hoping to find one I could healthify. And then I had an AH HA moment. Isn’t Baba Ghanoush made from eggplants??? How did I not realize this before? I love Baba Ghanoush. I’m a serious sucker for dips. I know, I know that’s where the calories creep up on you, but I really can’t help myself if they’re in front of me. Hummus, salsa, tzaziki, you name it…I’ll eat it! But my absolute favourite is by far Baba Ghanoush. I tried it for the first time in Israel, and after that there was no going back.
Healthy Baba Ghanoush

The problem? Baba Ghanoush can be loaded with fat and calories. Unnecessary fat and calories in my opinion. Now you know I’m not afraid to eat fat (hello nut butter!) but I would prefer to not use up my daily quota in two tablespoons of dip. At the same time I am not willing to sacrifice taste. So I got to work and this is my result. I could not be more pleased! With a side of carrots and Mary’s Gone Crackers (my fav!) I ate half of the dip by myself. But here’s the thing, this entire recipe is only 230 calories and 5 grams of fat. Regular Baba Ghanoush averages around 363 calories and 30 grams of fat (source). This makes for a perfect snack that you don’t have to feel guilty about.

Now it’s time to start preparing my strawberry dish…

Healthy Baba Ghanoush

PREP TIME 5 mins
Cook Time 25 mins

• 1 large eggplant
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 T plain 0% greek yogurt
  • 1/4 tsp dried cumin (optional)
  • salt & pepper, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Chop eggplant in half and place cut sides down on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a silicone mat.
  3. Roast eggplant for 20-25 mins or until tender.
  4. Remove from oven and let cool.
  5. Once cool scoop out eggplant flesh and place in food processor or high-speed blender.
  6. Add all other ingredients.
  7. Pulse until well combined.

What’s your favourite eggplant dish? Are you linking up to Amy’s veggie or fruit of the month? The answer to this is yes 😉

thelittlehoneybee
    August 15, 2013 at 10:34 am

I actually don’t believe this… take one guess at what I made for Amy’s veggie challenge. This is not real. Ahem but I waited hahaha love you

Madison
    August 15, 2013 at 11:16 am

LOVE this recipe! I’ve been looking for new ways to experiment with eggplant and you answered that. 🙂 Thanks!

August 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Thanks Madison! It was actually kind of fun to experiment. Maybe I should give cilantro another try…

Jessie
    August 15, 2013 at 11:38 am

Eggplant is always a vegetable I forget about purchasing at the grocery store. I’m not even sure why since there truly are many recipes for it. I once made eggplant jam. It was pretty good.

August 15, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Eggplant jam?!?! I can’t even comprehend what that would taste like! I’m also a little thrown off by the look of eggplants. They’re so funny shaped!!

Alex@Veggin Out
    August 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Eggplant is actually one of my favorite veggies! I agree that it can be a bit bland when not cooked right though… my cafeteria at college sometimes just steams it, and it has zero flavor and a weird texture. But when they roast it, it’s fantastic!
    I’m so glad you decided to make this because Baba Ghanoush is one of my favorites too! Love the use of Greek yogurt, it makes dips so creamy and yummy. 🙂

August 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Roasting it makes it so much better! I can’t even imagine eating steamed eggplant…it probably tastes like air!

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl
    August 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

What a fun linkup idea! I really like eggplant, but it has to be prepared just right. I really love the looks of this recipe, especially the ingredient list. Pinning it! I also just noticed your cauliflower recipe from yesterday…. I will be making that today. I’ve had a head of cauliflower in my fridge that really needs to be used. Thanks for the great recipe ideas!

August 15, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Thanks Kim! Let me know how the cauliflower recipe goes! Thank you for the great recipe ideas. I have nothing on the roster for dinner tonight but I’m thinking I’ll choose a recipe from you pancake roundup!

August 15, 2013 at 2:31 pm

This looks GREAT!!! I don’t think I’ve ever had baba ganoush to be honest, but it looks a heck of a lot quicker to make than the moussaka that I’ll be posting! Thanks so much girl for getting the word out about the link-up!! You’re my fave 🙂

August 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I’ve never has moussaka! Let’s trade! Soooo I was a bit premature on the post but hopefully this gives people a week to buy their eggplants and strawberries and get cooking right? Promise to play by the rules next time! <3

Shashi Charles
    August 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe Davida!
    My daughter loves eggplant – and this healthy baba hanoush recipe sounds like one we will both enjoy!
    Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.com

August 15, 2013 at 7:17 pm

I sure hope you do! Let me know if you make it 🙂 The weather is cooling down now so I am definitely keeping your lentil stew in mind!

Danielle @Labelsarefortincans
    August 15, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I’m totally going to participate in veggie and fruit of the month! What a great idea. I love baba ghanoush!

August 15, 2013 at 7:15 pm

You should!!! All the fruits and veggies that are chosen are in season so hopefully you will have them in your CSA!!!

Lindsay @ Health Foragers
    August 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I am pumped that the veggie is eggplant! I have a ton of frozen eggplants from our CSA because we had no idea what we wanted to do with them. Great recipe. Thanks for posting it!

August 15, 2013 at 7:12 pm

I saw the eggplant in your pic! How about this, you make the baba ghanoush and I’ll make the grilled cheese & tomato sandwich!

August 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Honestly, you deserve a standing ovation in my mind for attempting a recipe with eggplant – it’s my least favourite veggie as well and I can’t even remember the last time I ate it. But a dip is a -perfect- avenue, especially when it’s healthy 😀

August 15, 2013 at 7:16 pm

hahaha thanks Amanda! I was a bit intimidated but I do love me a good kitchen challenge. I may have even gotten over my dislike of eggplant!

rika@veganmiam.com
    August 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm

That’s a fun idea! I was also dismayed when I read your first veggie pick as eggplant (not too fond of them, except for the Japanese ones). It is also one of my least favorites and I won’t eat on its own at all 🙂 however, I can imagine eating baba ghanoush. Aren’t dips versatile? I love tahini, it’s the base of everything else! I haven’t been to Israel, when did you go last time? I heard it’s a bit expensive now due to more tourists. Wow, what a massive difference, your low-fat and low-calorie baba ghanoush sounds good to try! My favorite eggplant dish is probably the breaded eggplant cutlets with vegan cheeze/tomato sauce (like a pizza snack) and wok-fried eggplants in saucy Chinese black bean sauce.

August 15, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever tried the Japanese ones! Must track them down in Toronto…along with kabocha squash which I can never ever seem to find!!!

Those eggplant cutlets sound fantastic and I love me a good vegan cheese (my stomach thanks me!). Is the recipe on your blog or elsewhere? Would love to try it!

kellyrunsforfood.com
    August 15, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I love eggplant! My favorite is probably eggplant parmesan. Not the most exotic, but super tasty!

August 15, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Now that I’ve gotten over my eggplant aversion I definitely need to give eggplant parmesan another shot!

Molly
    August 15, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I’ve never tried baba ghanoush but mixing eggplant into a spread sounds like a wonderful idea. I too find them a bit blah and my family isn’t keen on the texture so whenever I purchase one I can’t seem to eat it all before it goes mushy. You always post great recipes. Yum!

August 16, 2013 at 12:37 am

Aw thanks Molly! Eggplant is truly transformed in this dip! The garlic helps 🙂

Dixya
    August 15, 2013 at 8:24 pm

m not an eggplant person either but i will take them in the form of dip. I made a sweet & savory eggplant awhile back – i will link it up. thanks for sharing 🙂

August 16, 2013 at 12:38 am

That sounds awesome! You should definitely link-up. I’ll wait until next Thursday for the recipe 🙂

GiGi Eats Celebrities
    August 15, 2013 at 10:45 pm

I see pureed eggplant recipes all the time and I always drool over them, you have officially pushed me over the edge to ACTUALLY MAKE ONE!!

Run like a G!
    August 16, 2013 at 1:44 am

I have never tried eggplant!
    Can I come stay with you for a week and you can teach me all these fabulous recipes? 🙂

August 16, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Don’t blame you for never having tried…they aren’t exactly versatile! But if you do ever decide to try I highly suggest this recipe 🙂

Kammie @ Sensual Appeal
    August 16, 2013 at 4:17 am

Gotta love baba ghanoush! 🙂 mmmm

Sarah Cook
    August 16, 2013 at 4:36 am

I have to agree with your- eggplant isn’t my favorite veggie because of the texture but I think it looks great like this! It looks just like hummus which I am insanely addicted to so I think I would love it!

August 16, 2013 at 5:03 pm

Total hummus addict here too! I can go a bit overboard on it though…gotta come up with a lightened up hummus recipe now 🙂

Miz Helen
    August 19, 2013 at 6:58 pm

What a delicious dish, that I can’t wait to try. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great week.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

selena
    August 20, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Oh my gosh I am obsessed with baba ganoush! and anything eggplant pretty much…totally going to try this, love how simple it is!! 🙂

*CaNdY FiT*
    August 21, 2013 at 11:58 pm

Pinning! I need to make this! Baba Ghanoush is something I enjoy but never thought of making!

regarder film gratuit en ligne
    November 25, 2013 at 4:12 am

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get setup?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very web smart so I’m not 100% sure. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

trabajar desde casa haciendo manualidades
    December 2, 2013 at 11:25 am

Hey! This is kind of off topic but I need some advice from an established blog.

Is it hard to set up your own blog? I’m not very techincal but I can
    figure things out pretty fast. I’m thinking about setting up my own but I’m
    not sure where to start. Do you have any ideas or suggestions?

December 2, 2013 at 11:48 am

Fastidious response in return of this question with genuine
    arguments and explaining everything on the topic of that.

how to convert mp4 to mp3
    December 2, 2013 at 12:19 pm

Wow! Finally I got a webpage from where I can in fact obtain useful information concerning my study and knowledge.

Lori
    December 2, 2013 at 12:22 pm

You’re so awesome! I do not believe I have read a single
    thing like that before. So nice to discover someone with
    some original thoughts on this subject. Seriously.. thank you for starting this up.
    This website is something that’s needed on the internet, someone with a
    bit of originality!

cómo ganar dinero extra
    December 6, 2013 at 6:58 pm

We are a group of volunteers and starting a brand new scheme in our community.
    Your site offered us with valuable info to work on. You have done an impressive process and our whole community might be thankful to you.

cherche emploi à domicile
    December 10, 2013 at 8:43 am

This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger.

I have joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post.
    Also, I’ve shared your website in my social networks!

Avoir De L Argent Facilement
    December 10, 2013 at 8:47 am

Valuable info. Lucky me I found your site accidentally, and I’m shocked why this twist
    of fate did not came about earlier! I bookmarked
    it.

2007 microsoft office Free download
    January 6, 2014 at 9:55 am

My family always say that I am wasting my time here at net, however I know
    I am getting experience all the time by reading
    thes fastidious articles.
    2007 microsoft office Free download recently posted…2007 microsoft office Free download

April 14, 2014 at 4:41 pm

You are so cool! I don’t think I’ve read through something like this before.

So nice to discover somebody with some genuine thoughts on this topic.
    Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This website is
    one thing that is needed on the internet, someone with a little originality!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCamOSHIFA recently posted…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCamOSHIFA