travel

Where To Stay, Go and Eat in Park City, Utah

July 21, 2014

I apologize in advance for the length of this post! Half of my two week trip out West was spent in Park City so naturally I have more to say and wayyyy too many pictures. Instead of just photo-dumping on you, I thought I would share with you my honest and real reviews of where we ate, went and stayed on our trip. Do I need to include a disclosure if my parents paid for the trip?! Why not. My amazing and generous parents paid for this trip but all opinions are my own.

Speaking of parents, let’s revisit the cast for today’s programming….

the castNow onto the good stuff.

where to stay in park cityMarriott’s MountainSide Resort. If you know my family, then you know our obsession with Marriott’s. If there’s a Marriott where we are going, that is where we will be staying. We had a two bedroom suite with a full kitchen. The resort was definitely tailored more towards winter activities and somewhat overrun with small children, but our room was large and had everything we needed. Only complaint was not having a balcony.

where to go in park cityMost of our activities involved hiking. Note: we are terrible hikers. By this I mean we get lost almost every single time but by the end of the trip we improved. Here are my favourites from the week:

Mirror Lake and the Highline Trail. This was probably the quietest and most serene hike of our trip. We ran into a few groups who had been camping along the trail but for the most part we were on our own. The trail is peaceful though not well marked. This hike offered some great views of the Uinta mountains. Afterwards we stopped by Mirror Lake (30 seconds from the Highline Trailhead) for a spectacular view.

Mirror LakeTanger Outlet Mall shopping. My poor wallet but I did get some awesome steals at J.Crew, Gap and American Eagle.

Bald Mountain Trail. Bald mountain is apparently the highest peak in the Uinta range and though a tough hike, it’s supposed to offer one of the best vistas in Nothern Utah. I can confirm that yes, the hike was challenging (straight up and hard to breathe in the elevation) and while the views were amazing on the way up, we couldn’t get to the top due to SNOW. Yes, the trail was blocked by a snow patch in July and I wasn’t willing to risk my life getting to the top.

Bald Mountain CollageMountain biking at Deer Valley. Soooo don’t attempt this if you have ZERO mountain-biking experience. I’m a descent city biker but failed epically at mountain-biking. I partially blame my lack of experience and the fact that we chose some challenging hills at Deer Valley which didn’t offer any beginner trails as an option. I would recommend hiking up to the top though if you’re not into mountain biking. I ended up doing one run on the bike but after falling five times and knocking the chain off my bike, I called it a day. I then took the chairlift back up and gave the bike to my dad to ride down and hiked down with my Mom. I really enjoyed the hike!

Sundance and Stewart Falls Hike. One of the highlights of my trip! We took the chairlift up (which I recommend) that offered spectacular views of the property and then hiked down to Stewart Falls, which were gorgeous! The best part was hiking down from the falls to the Sundance property and turning around to see an absolutely stunning view.

Stewart FallsOlympic Village at Park City. There is an awesome tour of one of the sites for the 2002 Salt Lake City Olympic games in Park City. Our tour was actually led by a 3-time olympian and it was awesome. We also got to watch the ski jumpers in their summer training and if I hadn’t been feeling sassy I might have attempted the Bobsled or zipline features. Definitely recommend!

Olympic Village

where to eat in park cityWe ate most breakfasts in our hotel (i.e. A LOT of overnight oats) and lunch was generally peanut butter and banana sammies. We ate out for every dinner and here are some of the highlights.

Bandits Grill & Bar: Nothing fancy but it was good quality food. Warning to those who order the chicken, it’s enough chicken to feed your entire family!

Purple Sage: One of my favourite meals of the trip. I ordered the chimichurri steak and fries and it was to die for. We all agreed that it was awesome food. Pictured is my Mom’s duck.

Purple SageGreat Harvest Bakery: C’s Mom got me hooked on this chain which offers great gluten-free bread and treats. We went there twice and both times I ordered a turkey sandwich on gluten-free bread. Come to Canada GHB!

Squatters Roadhouse Grill: Didn’t love the food, but they do have a ton of gluten-free and vegan options. I got a buffalo burger on a gluten-free bun and a side salad but there just wasn’t much flavour. They make their own beer though so if you’re into trying local beers, this is your place.

SquattersBangkok Thai: I was surprised to find such delicious thai food in Park City. Great meal and awesome wine selection. A bit on the pricier side for thai food but everything was great (especially the sea bass) so no complaints!

Talisker on Main: Probably the fanciest meal of our trip. Service was kind of meh but the food was excellent. I LOVED my buckwheat veggie risotto and the desserts (especially the chocolate mousse with pistachio ice cream) was incredible.

TaliskersIn addition to a lot of activity and incredible food, we also enjoyed quite a bit of wine (vacation!). If you’re interested I can do a round-up of the best bottles we enjoyed. I love vacationing with parents…

Next up was Jackson, WY which was my favourite part of the trip. Stay tuned!

Have you ever been to Park City? What’s your ideal vacation? Mountains? Beach?

DON'T WANT TO MISS THE NEXT ADVENTURE? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about travel, places I've visited and how to stick to your healthy lifestyle on the road.

Lauren
    July 21, 2014 at 5:49 am

This looks like my kind of holiday. The great outdoors and loads of amazing food – hello.
    I love going on holiday with family – it is the best. We are off sailing on Sunday in Croatia with Johnny’s Dad and family – cannot wait! Sailing, beautiful scenery, outdoors, fresh fish, local foods – winning!!
    Lauren recently posted…Peaches and Cream Superfood Smoothie

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    July 21, 2014 at 6:17 am

I am so glad you had a nice trip and also glad you are back! lol. Mountains and hiking are not my thing. I much prefer the beach. Might have something to do with where I was born, raised and still live.
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Random Running Things and Pure Barre

erin @ The Almond Eater
    July 21, 2014 at 6:51 am

What a fun/maybe possibly tiring vacation? I’m honestly just laughing picturing my family going hiking. We’d never make it (and by we I mean my mom). I’d love to go hiking out west someday though!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Better Booty Workout

Pip {Cherries & Chisme}
    July 21, 2014 at 7:12 am

This looks awesome! Chimichurri steak? OH so jealous…
    My dream holiday would be a mixture of beach relaxing and some city/mountain exploring – not demanding at all am I?
    Pip {Cherries & Chisme} recently posted…{MIMM} A week back home…

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    July 21, 2014 at 7:40 am

Ideal vacation is the beach – though being Swiss and growing up in between Alps I NEED to see them at least once a year. For hiking or even better snowboarding.
    I love the pics – Utah looks so beautiful!! I hope I can make it there on my next trip to the states!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…MIMM – Fun Photoshoot and being HOME

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    July 21, 2014 at 8:24 am

Never been to Utah before, but your pics make it look so pretty! I’m also a total failure at mountain biking. I once tried to “jump” a log in the middle of the path, forgetting that it had poured rain the night before. Instead of bouncing off the ground like I planned, I sank into a deep puddle of mud, flew over my handlebars, over the log, and face-first into the mud puddle on the other side. Epic fail. I stick to hiking now as well.
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…A weekend of eating

July 21, 2014 at 8:46 am

We ate at Purple Sage when we were in Park City for Blend – the food was great! And I have absolutely no idea what mountain we hiked up but it was fun 😉

And I love that your dad was head of bears. Did he spot one?
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Scenes From the Weekend.

July 21, 2014 at 9:08 am

We did! He’s terrified of bears and insisted we carry bear spray with us! We saw two bears but fortunately we didn’t need to use the spray 😉

July 21, 2014 at 9:07 am

I’m glad you’re back! I missed you! Sounds like Park City was a lot of fun – I have never been out west, and I need to change that because all of the pictures I’ve ever seen are gorgeous! I want to make it to Yosemite and Lake Tahoe in the summer.
    Amy @ Long Drive Journey recently posted…The “R” Word

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    July 21, 2014 at 9:43 am

Your photos are breathtaking!! It looks like a fabulous time! Mountain biking is so so hard. My husband basically tricked me into doing it when we were in Australia. He knows that will never happen again. That is so cool you got to see the ski jumpers!

My ideal vacation is definitely the beach. I could live there!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…Boston to Cape Cod

July 21, 2014 at 11:27 am

I’m just going to go ahead and say that you were in Park City about a month too late — you missed all us bloggers at Blend and we missed YOU. Park City was freaking gorgeous though, and I wish I could have had a little more time to explore it, but even one weekend was pretty darn good. Colorado next May! Be there <3
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. so many choices {swanson’s giveaway} .

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    July 21, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Take me to park cityyyyy!!! Looks incredible! Love that you packed little balls, der. Oh and I love your fam. So glad you’re back pretty!!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Eating All the Food in Europe: Part I

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon
    July 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Oh my gosh you had me cracking up from the beginning and your cast of characters and disclosure statement…!! Wine is a vital compliment to vacation. I’ll be using this list if I ever get the chance to head to Park City!
    Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon recently posted…Moscow Mule Popsicles

Luv What You Do
    July 21, 2014 at 1:03 pm

I’ve never been to Utah but that looks like my kind of vacation!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Five for Friday XXIV

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate
    July 21, 2014 at 1:13 pm

Okay I am a tiny bit jealous you got to see and explore so much of Park City while I literally went on one hike while I was there. It all looks absolutely gorgeous, and I am glad you took a (much deserved) break from reality while you were gone. And I second what Amanda said…Colorado next May!!
    Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted…Weekend Snapshots {7/21/14}

Megan @ The Skinny-Life
    July 21, 2014 at 1:14 pm

I worked in SLC for a year. The good is amazing everywhere! I was unexpected but in a good way!
    Megan @ The Skinny-Life recently posted…Banana Peanut Butter Smoothie

Joanna @ Living Mint Green
    July 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I’m extremely disappointed that your idea of “out west” doesn’t include the Canadian Rockies OR JOANNA GREGSON FOR THAT MATTER.

Seriously, what the hell.

Why were you wearing long sleeves on that mountain?

July 22, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Have I never mentioned I’m afraid of the sun? I’m going to be one of those old ladies who caries an umbrella on a sunny summer day…

July 21, 2014 at 6:34 pm

This looks like such an awesome trip! Hiking in the mountains is totally my idea of a good time. I’ve never really been one for beach vacations – they’re nice every once in a while, but I get bored of just lying there and reading all day.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…LCBO Cooking Class at Millcroft Kitchen

Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut
    July 21, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Goodness Utah is gorgeous! Can’t get over the mountains! I went for Blend Retreat so it was a very short and busy busy trip but it would be amazing to explore more! Purple Sage really was amazing (but quite pricy..def a treat!).

Happy you didn’t get lost forever. Also I want my family to take trips like yours. Freaking adorable. Especially when you have a head of bears. 🙂 🙂
    Amanda @ Semi-Health Nut recently posted…You vs You: Keeping Blogging Statistics in Perspective

July 21, 2014 at 9:05 pm

My ideal vacation is always to the beach but Park City sounds pretty nice.
    I love that you vacationed with your family – so awesome!!!
    YES!!! Please do a recap of the wines!!!
    Kim recently posted…Living with Guilt

Brittany
    July 21, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I NEED to climb these Utah mountains OH MY GOSH!
    Brittany recently posted…See Jane Run

July 22, 2014 at 9:28 pm

I thought of you SO many times while I was out hiking (is that creepy?!) but just you wait until I get to hiking in The Grand Tetons because you NEEEEED them in your life.

Anna
    July 22, 2014 at 2:29 pm

So gorg! All the food looks so fresh and delicious, too.

I’ve never been to Park City but my ideal vacation is a mix of mountains and water. I just love them both so much that I can’t choose!
    Anna recently posted…Sausage Turmeric Soup

July 22, 2014 at 9:25 pm

Thanks lovely! I feel the same way. Ideally, water in the mountains. If I find this kind of place I am never leaving!

July 22, 2014 at 2:44 pm

I’ve never been to Park City, but it looks like my cup of tea! OMG, all of the hiking looks amazing!!

July 22, 2014 at 9:57 pm

I haven’t been to Park City but I would like to go… that buckwheat risotto omg! I should have asked Emily to chat with you about Park City, her parents have a place there she went for a week this spring… ugh I’m so dumb. annnd we’re texting about your trip right now so I’m going to cut this short love youuuu xoxoxo
    Cassie recently posted…How to Style Shortalls

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    July 23, 2014 at 8:01 am

Loved this recap!!!! 🙂
    Utah is high on my states list! I can’t wait to visit it someday!
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…Weekend Getaway!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    July 23, 2014 at 12:05 pm

That would totally be my ideal vacation! Hiking and views like that? Yes.
    Also, I’m head of sunscreen in my family too.
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Favorites Vlog with Daliza

Tina @ Tina's Chic Corner
    July 23, 2014 at 2:53 pm

It looks like you had an amazing time! I’m pretty easy to please when it comes to vacations. I’m more about the company. But if I had to choose then I’d do the beach scene. Actually that’s were we might be going for our annual vacation… possible one of the Virgin Islands.
    Tina @ Tina’s Chic Corner recently posted…Peach Blueberry Scones With Spice Frosting

Ann
    July 23, 2014 at 6:28 pm

Sounds like a very fun vacation! I love the views from the mountains – beautiful nature over there!
    I like to have a mix of relaxing and adventure on my holiday. One day beach, one day action (hiking, sight seeing, biking, whatever is offered). A holiday only on the beach would be such a time waste!! There is always so much to explore in new places!

July 28, 2014 at 9:59 am

Couldn’t agree more Ann! I’m far too restless to just sit on a beach! I like to change it up each day 🙂

July 23, 2014 at 10:28 pm

It would be way cooler if your dad was the head of beer with two e’s. Just sayin’.

Where To Stay, Go and Eat In Yellowstone National Park - The Healthy Maven
    August 4, 2014 at 5:00 am

[…] recap of my trip Out West last month! In case you missed the first two, the first was all about Park City, Utah and the second covered everything to do in Jackson, Wyoming and Grand Teton National […]

Kim @ BusyBod
    August 4, 2014 at 7:43 am

I just have to tell you that the picture of you at mirror lake is possibly my favorite picture of you ever. It’s just so, I’m not sure how to explain it. Panoramic? Earthy? Regal? It’s like, “this is my domain” but in a very benevolent way. Or like, “stop and see the beautiful world around you.” And it legit looks like a Utah tourism ad or something, and I mean that in the best possible way. Amazing!
    Kim @ BusyBod recently posted…Let’s catch up

Where To Stay, Go and Eat in Jackson Hole, WY + Grand Teton National Park - The Healthy Maven
    August 24, 2014 at 12:57 am

[…] In case you missed it, check out last week’s post recapping part 1 of my 2 week vacation out West with Where To Stay, Go and Eat in Park City, Utah! […]

Best of THM 2014 - The Healthy Maven
    December 17, 2014 at 4:04 pm

[…] New York City, NY 2. Minneapolis, MN – June, September, October 3. Park City, UT 4. Jackson, WY 5. Yellowstone National Park, WY 6. Boston + Martha’s Vineyard, MA 7. San […]

Paleo Lemon Poppyseed Muffins - The Healthy Maven
    March 29, 2015 at 5:01 am

[…] Turns out blogging is nothing like riding a bike…unless we’re equating it to my near-death experience mountain biking in Utah. […]

ReneeURiefer
    July 19, 2016 at 9:28 am

Saved like a favorite, I like your site!
    ReneeURiefer recently posted…ReneeURiefer