bars dessert Fall gluten-free snacks vegan

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies

September 23, 2014

Gluten-Free and Vegan Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies that make the perfect Fall treat! They’re gooey and chocolatey with a spicy pumpkin blend!

I’m writing this post from a Starbucks on my last day here in Minneapolis. Lee and I are going back and forth between blog writing and talking about how amazing it would be if we lived in the same city and could share a dream kitchen/studio. Not an ounce of me wants to leave this place.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies - A #glutenfree and #vegan dessert for the Fall Foodie // thehealthymaven.com #recipeLooking at these blondies makes me wonder where the hell the last week of my life has gone. I showed up in Minneapolis with these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies in tow (because duhhhh I never show up foodless) to start off a week of work/fun with my best friend. 6 days later it feels like everything and nothing has gotten done. I guess that’s what happens when work feels like play.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies 2Mostly I’m just feeling totally blessed to have found my people in Minnesota. If you had asked me 5 years ago what I thought about my boyfriend and best friend being from Minnesota, I would have laughed in your face. This Canadian could barely point out Minnesota on a map, although I’ve quickly discovered that Minnesotans are a lot like Canadians. Maybe that’s why I have so many of them in my life?

Life can be complicated and messy and present some epic challenges at points, but it can also lead to some amazing relationships. And even though those friendships may be separated by 961 miles (yes, I calculated) they are worth it.

I like youTo the original blondie in my life, I like you, a lot.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies

PREP TIME 10 mins
Yields 12 blondies     adjust servings

• 2 cups gluten-free flour*
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp pumpkin spice (get my DIY version here!)
  • 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips**

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
  3. In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt and pumpkin spice.
  4. Add in coconut palm sugar.
  5. In a separate bowl combine coconut oil, almond milk, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract.
  6. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until well-combined.
  7. Stir in chocolate chips. Batter will be thick.
  8. Add batter to baking pan and spread out using a spatula, making sure top is even.
  9. Bake for 20-25 mins.
  10. Let cool for at least 20 minutes before cutting into 12 blondies and removing from pan to cool completely.
  11. Will keep in an airtight container on counter for up to 5 days.

Notes

I used the gluten-free flour blend from my Healthy Breakfast eCookbook. *I used Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips.

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies - A #glutenfree and #vegan dessert for the Fall Foodie // thehealthymaven.com #recipeWant a damn delicious apple version of these? Check out my fav Fit Foodie’s adaptation!

Are you in a long distance friendship? Ever been to Minneapolis?

September 23, 2014 at 5:08 am

Staaaahp it with the sidebar picture. It’s making me go loco.

Said it to Lee will say it to you too- 2015 will be epic with what you have planned. I’ll be there in my cheerleader costume, chorizo and a fedora in tow.

I’m in a long distance relationship. 5 bloody weeks.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Caramel Cookie Dough Oatmeal

meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles
    September 23, 2014 at 6:14 am

I kinda feel like making these right now. It’s 6 am, would that be weird?
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…Pure Barre From Home!

Em @ Love A Latte
    September 23, 2014 at 6:23 am

Aw what a sweet post! Many of my good friends live in other states. I’ve never been to Minneapolis though. Looking forward to making these!!
    Em @ Love A Latte recently posted…As a New Mama: Five Items Helping Me Out

Michele @ paleorunningmomma
    September 23, 2014 at 6:45 am

I’ll definitely be trying these out this week with my kids. I’m a big fan of enjoy life choc chips too, yum 🙂
    Michele @ paleorunningmomma recently posted…Newport Liberty Half Marathon Recap 9/21/14

erin @ The Almond Eater
    September 23, 2014 at 7:08 am

Your new prof pic! This post! TOO MUCH CUTENESS.
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Grapefruit & Pear Salad

Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate
    September 23, 2014 at 7:29 am

Such a cute pic 🙂 My husband (weird, haven’t had to use that yet?!) is from Minnesota and I never thought we could potentially ever move there either but it might be in the cards for us in the future and I would’t even mind it! People are so nice and it really is a beautiful area. Thanks for the recipe-*drool*.
    Katie @ Daily Cup of Kate recently posted…We’re Married!

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    September 23, 2014 at 7:43 am

You guys are too cute! And that wall is amazing…I want one in my room so it’ll add character to my selfies and amaze my snapchap buddies.
    On another note, I have no words to explain these blondies except ‘ohmargard-I-want-one’. The list of things I want to make this fall quadruples every single day. Sigh.
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…25 Fall Finds: Activities, Clothes, Food & More

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    September 23, 2014 at 7:46 am

Did I ever tell you that one of my Besties is Canadian and lives in Vancouver? She definitely os one of the most fabulous person on Earth. We met in Boston last year and screamed down the lobby of the hotel when we saw each other for the first time in 6 years.

In honor of Canadian friends, I am going to make these Blondies on the weekend and bring them to my CrossFit box. If they get sick from overeating, I send them your way.
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Girls, Girls, Girls – and back at the box

Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food
    September 23, 2014 at 8:15 am

Aw this is so sweet! One of my best friends lives in California and it’s always so great when I get to see her. Having good girlfriends in your life is so important!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs For Food recently posted…Women’s magazine fails

Lee
    September 23, 2014 at 8:39 am

BEST BLONDIES I’VE EVER TASTED IN MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don’t leave me 🙁
    Lee recently posted…Gluten-Free Apple Cinnamon Bars with Skinny Maple Cream Cheese Frosting

Sam @ PancakeWarriors
    September 23, 2014 at 9:32 am

yum I seriously need these in my life! The photos are beautiful.
    Sam @ PancakeWarriors recently posted…Pumpkin Apple Protein Muffins

Britt@MyOwnBalance
    September 23, 2014 at 10:19 am

Awww you guys are so cute! And I want these brownies!
    Britt@MyOwnBalance recently posted…My Pregnancy Essentials

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    September 23, 2014 at 10:21 am

You galz are honestly the cutest. I too would die to live in the same city as you pretty ladies and eat ALLLLLLL the things ALLLLL the time. Pinned these bad boys!!!
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Burgers with Spicy Cashew Mayo

Chelsea
    September 23, 2014 at 10:45 am

Wow, these look awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Amanda @ Positively Amanda
    September 23, 2014 at 10:59 am

These look so delicious!! yum!

Emily
    September 23, 2014 at 12:50 pm

Hey, I’m from Minnesota! Just sayin’ you might be onto something here, identifying this source of human awesomeness …
    Emily recently posted…What Dreams are Made Of

Ang @ Nutty for Life
    September 23, 2014 at 1:03 pm

gonna make these for a cabin trip i’m going to next month & nom HARD.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Nutty For… [9.19]

Jodie @ SourceONENutrition
    September 23, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I want to make these ASAP… Gotta run to the store for some pumpkin puree! I’ve never, ever been to Minnesota, or Canada! Let’s see, the furthest north I have been is NYC and in the Midwest…Chicago, where my husband is from!
    Jodie @ SourceONENutrition recently posted…Tips for Packing a Healthy Lunch

Alysia @ Slim Sanity
    September 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm

These look fantastic!! And perfect for fall. And for a healthy dessert round-up I’m putting together next week. Mind if I use a picture of these in the post for the round-up?
    Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted…September Must Have Box

September 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I will forgive your pumpkin posting ways only because I can tell how much fun you’re having in Minnesota and I just so happen to think you deserve it. Live it up, my dear. I’m happy for you.

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    September 23, 2014 at 2:39 pm

I thought we were in a long distance friendship?? I miss you. When can we meet?

I’ve never been to Minneapolis but I can’t say it’s high on my travel bucket list. Hahaha. What’s it like, though?!
    Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted…So Long, Summer

September 23, 2014 at 2:48 pm

You 2 are so cute!!!
    And, I love the new picture of you in your sidebar with the hat on!
    Kim recently posted…Today Is a Good Day for a Good Day

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    September 23, 2014 at 3:55 pm

These look seriously amazing! Love blondies and this is the first grain free recipe I have seen.
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…I Will What I Want

20 of the Best Squash Recipes - Healthy Regards, Hayley
    September 23, 2014 at 9:10 pm

[…] Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies- The Healthy Maven  […]

Alex @ Alex Runs For Food
    September 23, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Nom nom nom love chocolate and pumpkin!!!! So amazing! It was so great meeting you while you were in MN. Now move to MN!! 🙂
    Alex @ Alex Runs For Food recently posted…Gluten Free Strawberry Shortcake

Brittany
    September 23, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Blog babes are my FAVORITE!! So glad you two connected over blogging and have blossomed your businesses together!! These blondies look soooo good.

September 23, 2014 at 11:21 pm

Pumpkin has naturally been everywhere with the start of pumpkin everything season, but I hadn’t caught the pumpkin bug…. until now! I think I might need to make these, like tonight… and I’m not joking! 🙂

And you ladies are too cute!
    Nicole @ Foodie Loves Fitness recently posted…Spicy Vegetable Wonton Soup

GiGi Eats
    September 24, 2014 at 12:13 am

Girl… I like you too. Enough to jump into a mixing bowl full of coconut butter… NAKED.
    GiGi Eats recently posted…Recipe Redux: Get Chip-Faced with Chipkins

Best Fall Baking Recipes - Food, Pleasure, and Health
    September 24, 2014 at 8:12 am

[…] pumpkin spice chocolate chip blondies […]

Heather @ Run Like a G!
    September 24, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Those look amazing!!!! Hope you had a fabulous trip! 🙂
    Heather @ Run Like a G! recently posted…FRIENDS

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    September 25, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Too damn cute. I like to think all of my blogger friends are like long-distance pals, even though I’ve never met them in person. But college has separated me from my best friend, and I miss her to pieces. Snapchat saves the day though! 😉
    Send me some blondies please?
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Keeping Sane in College

Nutty For… [9.19] | Nutty for Life
    September 26, 2014 at 10:37 am

[…] Nutty For… Food Old Fashioned Whole Wheat Apple Pancakes Curried Pork and Quinoa Stew Pumpkin Maple Pecan Granola Roasted Broccoli Chickpea Burgers with Spicy Cashew Mayo Sausage, Garlic and Quinoa Stuffed Mushrooms Arugula and Goat Cheese Portobello Pizzas Fall Harvest Kale Salad with Tahini Dressing Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies […]

Weekend Snapshots & Fig Banana Truffle Recipe | Fit Swiss Chick
    September 28, 2014 at 6:06 pm

[…] baking: Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies by Davs. Yeah. They turned out as muffin brunettes. I threw in the chocolate chips when the doughmix was […]

athletic avocado
    September 29, 2014 at 8:18 pm

these look too good to be true! Im so making these! I wish I could make them instantly appear!
    athletic avocado recently posted…All Things Apples: Easy Healthy Recipes Made with Fall’s Favorite Fruit!

Kate
    October 1, 2014 at 12:49 am

Oh. My. Heavens. I just made these and drooled all through the baking process at the delicious pumpkiny smells permeating my kitchen…and then I had my fist bite. And my second…and my third. Love these! Subbed applesauce for the coconut oil (it’s all I had!) and cut the sugar to 1/4 cup– still amazing delicious! Thanks for the recipe! 🙂

45 Healthy Dessert Recipes - Slim Sanity
    October 1, 2014 at 7:38 am

[…] Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies […]

Jordan @ The Balanced Blonde
    October 3, 2014 at 4:06 pm

I need these in my life riiiight this very moment

The Great Pumpkin Recipe Roundup – Part 2 | Food Bloggers of Canada
    October 9, 2014 at 2:06 am

[…] not sure how pumpkin would work in a brownie but we know how it will work in a Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondie – Davida at The Healthy Maven has it […]

25 Ways to Eat a Pumpkin - Radiantly You
    October 9, 2014 at 6:26 pm

[…] Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip by, The Healthy […]

Holly
    October 13, 2014 at 9:30 am

I have never left a comment on a recipe before.. But these are ah-mazing! Even my strictly ‘no healthy baking’ boyfriend loved them! Yumm.

October 14, 2014 at 8:13 am

Aw thank you Holly!!! Really appreciate you taking the time to comment 🙂 p.s. my boyfriend is the same way and loved them too!

Laurie
    October 15, 2014 at 4:32 pm

In the oven. Made in my quest to actually “NOT WORK” on Wednesday afternoons when I leave at 3pm. I just did a few things, but I made the blondies first.

Laur

50 Fantastic Pumpkin Recipes to Try This Fall | Vegan Recipes from Cassie Howard
    October 17, 2014 at 11:01 am

[…] by Around my Family Table 44. Pumpkin Pie Protein Smoothie by Nutritionist in the Kitch 45. Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies by The Healthy Maven 46. Soft Pumpkin Cookies by Whole New Mom 47. Quinoa, Black bean & Pumpkin […]

Tracey @ A Taste of Trace
    October 22, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I too can never show up foodless, and these will definitely be in my rotation of dishes that I bring to get-togethers. They’re absolutely incredible! So delicious – I doubt the leftovers will last very long…
    Tracey @ A Taste of Trace recently posted…Overcoming Fears in the Kitchen

Healthy Meal Time: Episode 4 | A Taste of Trace
    October 23, 2014 at 6:34 am

[…] the obvious choice for dessert was something with pumpkin. We chose to make Davida’s Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies. Since neither Chelsea nor I have a sensitivity to gluten, we just used all-purpose flour instead of […]

Vegan supper club #4 - Chelsea's Healthy Kitchen
    October 27, 2014 at 6:01 am

[…] was pumpkin spice chocolate chip blondies from Davida’s blog. We made them with whole wheat pastry flour instead of gluten free flour, […]

Pumpkin Pancakes
    October 29, 2014 at 2:57 pm

[…] Davida from The Healthy Maven has outdone herself with a Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondi… such a […]

RLE
    October 31, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Loves these! I have made them twice already and the second time, I topped them with Fit Foodie Finds’ Maple Cream Cheese Frosting from her Apple Cinnamon Bars. OMG, delicious!!

Christmas Advent Calendar | Popcorn and Chocolate
    November 30, 2014 at 1:13 pm

[…] delicious Thanksgiving food. We sure did and now we get to have leftovers for the rest of the week! Pumpkin pie brownies for breakfast […]

Introducing My New Blog, SHE uncovered! - The Healthy Maven
    January 2, 2015 at 3:49 pm

[…] might remember back in September when I spent a week in Minneapolis visiting her to work on some fun new projects. Well I can […]

GF Brownie Roundup - Violet/Meyer
    January 23, 2015 at 8:00 am

[…] Before winter is over I’ll have to bake these Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Blondies. […]

Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
    September 28, 2015 at 6:52 am

These bars look so tasty! I love pumpkin everything season 🙂
    Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted…Scenes from the Weekend and The Casual Veggie

September 29, 2015 at 6:15 am

me too! These bars (and the pumpkin oatmeal I’m currently eating) top the charts!

Jena @fuelingafitfam
    November 13, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Pumpkin and chocolate…my two favorite things! These look delicious! I love that you include gluten free recipes! It is so hard to find delicious gluten free baked goods! So excited to try these!
    Also, love your blog it is appealing to the eye and so easy to navigate! Thanks for another great recipe!
    Jena @fuelingafitfam recently posted…Banana Bites