travel

10 Days in San Francisco, California

December 2, 2014

What a whirlwind of a trip! If you follow on Facebook, you already know about the hiccup that was my laptop and wallet getting stolen. It happened, it sucked and then I moved on. The highs were too high to care about the lows.

C and I travelled out to San Francisco (and surrounding areas) to see our friends and family and celebrate Thanksgiving with them.

san fran 2014I’m not sure that I can fully recap the entirety of our trip within one post. At least not without the post turning into a novel. Instead I’ll let the pictures do most of the talking, then mention a few highlights at the bottom. By highlights I mean the food because duh. Ironically I took very few pictures of food. Not sure how that happened…

We kicked things off on Saturday by perusing the farmer’s market at the Ferry Building with one of my oldest friends, Eseids followed by drinks and munchies on Cassie’s roof. Yes, this is Cassie’s view…

bay bridgecassis roofA quick day trip out to Sonoma for some wine tasting.
scribe
me and c at scribe
scribe bottle fremont diner
bagsHiking in Point Reyes and oyster shucking and grilling in Tomales Bay.
hiking point reyes 2
elk
hiking point reyes
me and c point reyes
oyster shucking
oyster grillingThanksgiving in Marin. 24 people, 10 pies.
thanksgiving 1
thanksgiving 2
Thanksgiving hike post-meal, pre-pies.
thanksgiving hike 1
thanksgiving hike
I love Thanksgiving.
piesAi Weiwei exhibit on Alcatraz.
aiweiwei 1
aiweiwei2 aiweiwei3The end of an incredible trip.
me and c nightthe eats
San Francisco
Chino (The Mission) – The Korean-American Rice Cakes were out of this world.
Zazie (Cole Valley) – The brunch was insanely delicious. Get EVERYTHING.
Chotto (The Marina) – I could have eaten 3 dozen of the Hapa Roll…
Arizmendi Bakery (Inner Sunset) – I ordered the gluten-free pumpkin muffin 3 times. Their scones are amazing too.
Frances (The Castro) – Farm-to-table goodness. Thanks Eseids for insisting we go here!
Samovar Tea (The Castro) – Tea pairings with my meal. Be still my heart.
Blue Plate (The Mission) – All I want in life is to recreate their toasted kale salad.

Sonoma
Scribe Winery – I can’t even begin to explain how incredible this vineyard was. Thank you for the wonderful service and experience!
Cline Winery – Beautiful property and free tastings!
Larson Family Winery – Turns out I’m far better at drinking wine than playing bags…not surprised.
The Fremont Diner – Where farm-to-table meets greasy spoon.

Tomales Bay
Tomales Bay Oyster Company – the freshest oysters I’ve ever eaten. Bring drinks and food and set up shop for the afternoon!

A HUGE thank you to Lo and Kev for hosting us for the week, C’s entire family for all of the love, hugs and food and our wonderful friends for showing us around their city. I have a feeling I’ll be back sooner than you think…

Have you ever been to San Francisco? Is the West coast the best coast?

DON'T WANT TO MISS THE NEXT ADVENTURE? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about travel, places I've visited and how to stick to your healthy lifestyle on the road.

December 2, 2014 at 5:09 am

These photos are epic, buddy! Glad (amidst the W + L issue) you look like you had a blast- and much deserved too!

I hope you sampled each and every one of those pies. Next year, I’ll make you a pie. Well, maybe bought.I love SanFran and consider a walk up the road a workout.
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Sugar Free Gingerbread Biscotti

Lucie@FitSwissChick
    December 2, 2014 at 5:27 am

I don’t know what you do but your trip pics are always SO beautiful.
    And those pies?! OMG!! So jealous!!
    I have been in SFO YEARS ago and will be back in May next year – can not wait!
    Lucie@FitSwissChick recently posted…Pita Bread and me in Tel Aviv

Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food
    December 2, 2014 at 6:24 am

Ahhh such pretty pictures! I want to visit out there so badly. It looks like you had a great time!
    Kelly @ Kelly Runs for Food recently posted…5 ways to stay healthy over the holidays

erin @ The Almond Eater
    December 2, 2014 at 7:03 am

10 pies??!! So jealous. Cassie’s view is ridiculous in the best way possible. I’ve only been to Cali twice, but I loved it both times… still need to make it to wine country though!
    erin @ The Almond Eater recently posted…Chocolate Pretzel Shooters

Lee
    December 2, 2014 at 8:38 am

You life is so majestic. I am so glad you are home. My life is complete.
    Lee recently posted…Gift Guide: Fit Fashionista

cait @pieceofcait
    December 2, 2014 at 8:55 am

love all the pies!!! they look delish 🙂 what a fantastic trip!
    cait @pieceofcait recently posted…Goodbye Duncan

Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment
    December 2, 2014 at 9:53 am

Looks like such an amazing trip! WIne country is at the top of my must visit list! Thanks for the great photos.
    Lauren @ The Bikini Experiment recently posted…2014 Fit Girl Gift Guide

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    December 2, 2014 at 10:12 am

Looks like such an epic trip! Pictures were awesome btw.
    p.s. I clicked through to the Monday lineup at the beginning and scrolled through the rest of the post while listening to the first song. It was pretty epic. You should offer song suggestions with all your posts haha
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…The Ultimate Healthy Snack Recipes Roundup

December 2, 2014 at 10:29 am

So jealous of your trip! I’ve never been to California at all, but it’s definitely high on the bucket list. San Fran looks so gorgeous! Especially because all I see out my window is snow…
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…Goal Talk: December.

Ann
    December 2, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I’ve been to SanFran just a few weeks ago, and I have fallen in love with this city SO MUCH! It was one of the best trips for me so far. I’ve never been to the East coast, but I doubt that it cang et any better than my weeks on the West coast… I hope I will find out (soon)!

Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run
    December 2, 2014 at 2:03 pm

Which winery is pictured above with the picnic tables?
    Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run recently posted…Stocking Stuffers for Him

December 2, 2014 at 2:30 pm

I have no idea what those wild looking animal things are, but I’m pretty sure I need one. That and a pie. Think you could spare one?

Jo @ Living Mint Green
    December 2, 2014 at 2:36 pm

I LOVE San Francisco! I wouldn’t mind living there someday… sometimes I’d like to trade my Canadian citizenship for American so I can live with palm trees & non-minus 40 winters.

It looks like you had such an amazing trip! COME TO THE ROCKIES NEXT.
    Jo @ Living Mint Green recently posted…I Crave It.

December 2, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Looks like an incredible trip!!
    I’ve been to San Francisco once (close to 2- years ago_ and would love to go back.
    Kim recently posted…Happiness Is…..

Miss Polkadot
    December 2, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Beautiful. Stunning. #OMGImjealous
    I don’t even know where to start other than maybe saying what I’ve said before: I totally wouldn’t mind you posting 45578834 pictures from any and every trip you’re venturing out on. Not to say I didn’t think your food pictures weren’t great already but you have serious photography skills beyond that, too.
    All you saw and did sounds amazing and I’m glad you got that break and breather from the daily grind.

December 2, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Yikes I didn’t know about your laptop and wallet being stolen! That really blows. 🙁 Hope you’ve been able to get it all sorted out without too much trouble.

Otherwise it looks like it was an amazing trip! I still haven’t to Cali, but it’s up there on my travel bucket list.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Month In Review: November 2014

Luv What You Do
    December 2, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Your pics are stunning!!!
    We were just out west and I loved it. Will have to add your recs to our wine list for next time. We had a BLAST in Sonoma!
    Luv What You Do recently posted…Ending on a High

Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious
    December 2, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Love that you had a good attitude about your stuff being stolen. Not sure I could have done the same.
    Megan @ Skinny Fitalicious recently posted…My 2014 Christmas Wish List

Erica
    December 3, 2014 at 1:39 am

LOVE THIS SO MUCH!! miss you so much already and just counting down the days until SF is your home for reals. xo
    Erica recently posted…Lineup #11

Julie
    December 3, 2014 at 2:34 am

One of my favorite cities. Gorgeous photos!

Anna
    December 3, 2014 at 10:00 am

Looks like an incredible trip! I’ve never been to San Fran and am itching to go. I’m obsessed with wineries so Sonoma is at the very top of my list. Your Thanksgiving looks amazing, too! That’s a lot of pies. Did you try all of them? You hiked, so 10 pies was deserved. 🙂
    Anna recently posted…Healthy NYC -> Candle 79

December 10, 2014 at 8:29 pm

you would have laughed at how “long” our hike was. Everyone knew there were 10 pies waiting for us so we maybe hiked 200 metres lol

December 3, 2014 at 11:31 am

Your photos are gorgeous and so are you and I miss you. Come back soon please.
    Cassie recently posted…Race Recap: Marin Turkey Trot 10K

Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A.
    December 4, 2014 at 10:25 am

Ah, I love San Fran. Looks like you had an incredible trip!

And I can’t get over how many pies were at your Thanksgiving dinner – what a feast!
    Whitney @ To Live & Diet in L.A. recently posted…Eggplant Turkey Lasagna

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    December 7, 2014 at 8:50 pm

Those views, those pies, you and C. Ugh this is so perfect. I love and miss San Francisco! I must say that NorCal makes the West coast a pretty tough competitor to the East coast…
    So glad you had a wonderful time with friends for Thanksgiving!!
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Weekly Moves and Grooves XV {Cardio-Heavy}

Field Trip: Scribe Winery - Almost Getting it TogetherAlmost Getting it Together
    February 26, 2015 at 6:01 am

[…] to visit Scribe Winery twice in one week a few weeks ago. I heard about Scribe initially from Davida who went during her trip to SF over Thanksgiving. I read about Scribe again somewhere else […]

How to Make a Media Kit - Almost Getting it TogetherAlmost Getting it Together
    April 23, 2015 at 6:00 am

[…] Angela and I actually went to visit her in Toronto last May and she spent time with me in San Francisco during […]