bath and body Healthy How-Tos

{Video} How To Make Rosewater + DIY Rosewater Face Toner

August 11, 2015

Learn all of the benefits of Rosewater, including a step-by-step tutorial on how to make it! Not only will you learn how to make homemade rosewater, but you’ll get a DIY Rosewater Face Toner recipe too!

A step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade rosewater + a recipe for DIY Rosewater Face Toner! You'll learn all of the benfits of rosewater for your skin too.The maven is B-A-C-K with a little DIY Video action! Who’s excited? Just me? Welcome to my life.

Also included in my life is a fridge full of homemade kombucha, cold brew iced coffee and of course homemade rosewater. Because everyone’s fridge is stocked with various colors of the rainbow in refreshment form, right? More like an assortment of diet pop flavors, but I’d like to believe my refrigerator soulmate exists out in this great big world.

Sorry if I’m making absolutely no sense today. I am currently deep in the throws of video editing and I can’t remember the last time I saw the light of day. So much respect for YouTubers (insert hands in the air emoji).

Today’s video escapades resulted in this 5 minutes of glory. Approximately 1 minute of it involves me making the recipe for Homemade Rosewater, and the rest is spent staring at my lovely face explaining to the world exactly how to use it.

I suspect most of you have no idea how or why you might want to use rosewater, so I suggest actually watching the video before you think I’ve gone all Gwyneth Paltrow-pretentious on you. Sorry for the GP fans out there, but for as much as I love rosemary infused olive oil from the south of France, I’m not about to tell you it’s a kitchen necessity. Though I suspect she’d approve of this post and insist we should only be drinking and bathing in rosewater.

Anywho, if you’re curious you should probably watch the latest in my adventures in YouTube. We’re making homemade rosewater (duh) and I’ll show you how I like to use it in my skincare routine.

CHECK OUT MY VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ROSEWATER HERE

Now for the rest of you who either a) are worried my potty mouth makes the video NSFW (I tamed myself don’t worry), b) have no idea how to press play (Mom- I’m looking at you) or c) don’t care, I’ll reiterate what I shared in the video in today’s post.

Rosewater is exactly as it sounds, roses + water. It gives you all the benefits of water plus the bonus of the anti-inflammatory and hydrating advantages of rose. Plus it smells awesome.

Rosewater is used in some cuisines, but I find myself using it most frequently in my skincare routine. People live and die by this stuff, but I’m not desperate enough to spend $10 on a small bottle.

Fortunately, I’m thrifty and was able to make over 3 bottles for the same price. Love me a good deal, and especially when the DIY version is stupidly easy.

A step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade rosewater + a recipe for DIY Rosewater Face Toner! You'll learn all of the benfits of rosewater for your skin too.Now for some of the ways I like to use this rosewater in my skincare routine:

1. Skin Toner – by and far this is the #1 way I like to use it. I also love my tea tree oil face toner I posted on SHEuncovered but even though it’s effective, the lingering scent of apple cider vinegar ain’t got nothing on rose.

2. In the bath – I’ll add about a cup to my bath water for extra hydration and relaxation from the scent.

3. Natural Perfume– we’ll get into the discussion of conventional perfume another day, but let’s just say you are far better off sticking to this natural version.

4. Face refresher/Make-up setter – Spray this on your face when you’re at your 3:00 PM slump…it works.

These are just a few of the many ways you can use rosewater. Now that I’ve hacked a super easy and cheap version for you, I challenge you to go out and experiment! But if you air on the side of caution, try my DIY Rosewater Face Toner. I promise you will be in love (roses included).

How To Make Rosewater + DIY Rosewater Face Toner

Cook Time 30 mins

For the Homemade Rosewater

• Organic Roses (as many as you like-I used 7 stems)
  • Distilled water (enough to cover the rose petals- I used about 1.5 litres)

For the Homemade Rosewater Face Toner

For the Homemade Rosewater:

1. Remove petals from stems and run them under luke-warm water to remove any leftover residue.
    2. Add petals to a large pot and top with enough distilled water to just cover (no more or you'll dilute your rosewater).
    3. over medium-low heat bring the water to a simmer and cover.
    4. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until petals have lost their color and are a pale pink.
    5. Strain the mixture to separate the petals from the water.
    6. Discard petals and place water in a glass jar to store.

For the Homemade Rosewater Face Toner:

1. Combine all ingredients in spray bottle and shake.
    2. To apply: spray directly on face or spray a cotton pad and wipe face to remove any residue.

Notes

*Note: Using 7 stems makes around 1.5 litres of rosewater. This seems like a lot but it keeps for a long time in the fridge. Just store in a sealed, glass container until ready to use.

A step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade rosewater + a recipe for DIY Rosewater Face Toner! You'll learn all of the benfits of rosewater for your skin too.Have you ever used rosewater? What for? Are you a Gwyneth Paltrow fan?

LOVE THESE NATURAL BEAUTY TIPS? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about natural beauty, products I'm loving and how to transition to a more natural lifestyle.

Les @ The Balanced Berry
      August 11, 2015 at 8:32 am

Loveeee this! Rosewater is my favorite toner, but I’ve never made it myself. Definitely doing this once my current bottle runs out! Sidenote: I’m kind of convinced we like all the same things.

August 11, 2015 at 7:39 pm

SAME PERSON. Knew it!!

Rose
        October 20, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Hi I wanted to ask you a question how long does this Rosewater last for

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
      August 13, 2015 at 12:57 am

I’m juuust starting to get into DIY beauty, and I’m sooo glad you posted this, Davida! The facial toners that I usually use are way too harsh on my skin, so I’ve been looking for some good toner formulas to make on my own. Also, LOVED the video!
      Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits recently posted…Avocado Cantaloupe Boats with Pomegranate Balsamic Reduction

August 13, 2015 at 8:15 am

Thank you, lovely! The rosewater toner is super gentle on skin. Honestly, my skin has transformed since I started using it! Hope you enjoy 🙂

Amanda
      January 20, 2016 at 10:58 am

I can’t wait to make this! Can you tell me though….does the rosewater need to be diluted to make a suitable toner, or can it be used full-strength? I wasn’t planning on diluting because my skin needs serious help, but I don’t want to do more harm than good if it’s too strong! Thanks!

The Healthy Maven
        January 20, 2016 at 2:37 pm

You totally don’t need to dilute. I just recommend it if you have super sensitive skin like I do. Otherwise you can just use straight rosewater 🙂 Hope you enjoy!

Shiela
      January 22, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hi. I am wondering how long it will last the DIY rose water. What do I need to put to let it stay fresh? Is it safe to combined to other product to be applied in the face and body like natural clay mask?
      Thank you.

The Healthy Maven
        January 22, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I keep mine in the fridge for up to 6 months. And absolutely! Feel free to combine with other products 🙂 Enjoy!

Shanthini
      January 27, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Hi there ! My rose bushes are in full bloom at the moment and this is just what I was looking for ! Can’t wait to try :))

January 28, 2016 at 9:53 am

Wonderful! So envious of your rose bushes 🙂 Enjoy!

panimalar
      February 22, 2016 at 6:42 am

Hi,
      I made the rose water and spray it on my face. But I feel it is a big sticky to my face and my face turn like pink color. Is this normal ?

February 22, 2016 at 7:53 am

No definitely not normal. What kind of roses did you use? It’s possible if you didn’t use organic roses that some of the pesticides they’re sprayed with are causing it…

panimalar
          February 22, 2016 at 8:00 pm

ok tq for your reply. Will try to redo again with organic roses.

Annika
      February 23, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I would LOVE to try this but I really don’t want to make it with non-organic roses. I have tries searching for organic ones in different health stores but not found any. Where would you suggest I try looking?

Claire
        July 7, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Mountain rose herbs (website) has high quality stuff, including dried roses/petals.

Farah
      February 25, 2016 at 7:59 am

Any idea where i can buy organic roses? have been looking around for a while. I don’t know if this is more difficult to find in the UK x

Nidhi
      March 14, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hi,I just read your article about preparing rose water toner,here are few queries
      1.Does rosewater toner opens the pores of the skin
      2.Does rosewater toner makes skin dry
      3.Does rosewater toner leads to a burning sensation on skin.
      How is aloevera as a toner when compared with rosewater,also tell me that after applying natural aloevera gel over face does it opens pores?

Ronique
      March 29, 2016 at 12:22 am

Hi, I loved this post, just wandering if I need to add a preservatie, because water is involved? :/

March 30, 2016 at 8:49 am

Nope! Mine usually lists up to 6 months!

Ileana
          August 30, 2017 at 6:20 am

can i just reconfirm.., Rosewater lasts up to 6 months when sealed in a glass container stored in the fridge., but when stored in a spray bottle, though placed in the fridge, it only lasts up to 6-7days?
          I have been making rosewater stored only in spray bottle, but i dont really use it beyond 7days., as read in a different article.

Ronique
      March 29, 2016 at 12:23 am

*preservative

Allyson
      June 16, 2016 at 10:16 am

Okay, so I know this post is not recent, but I thought I’d leave this comment for you anyway. I know a man who makes jams and such from locally sourced ingredients to sell at the farmers market, and he makes an amazing jelly with pomegranate and rosewater. It was the first of his I tried, and though I have at least five different spreads of his in my refrigerator pretty much always, it is still my favorite. It’s delicious! And your video is great :> thanks for the excellent instruction.

Tiffany Webb
      June 21, 2016 at 11:18 pm

I was about to buy some rosewater on Amazon and thought to myself, “Can you MAKE your own rosewater??” Sure enough, thanks to your instructions, I can! I know you said it last for up to 6 months in your fridge. Our roses are blooming now so I was thinking about making some gigantic batches and freezing them. Do you think that would work? Thanks!

June 22, 2016 at 10:12 am

oooooh that’s a good question! I’m actually unsure how well it would work with frozen roses. Wish I could be more helpful!

Allison Turner
        June 24, 2016 at 9:00 am

Yes you can freeze home made rose water. I freeze them in ice cube trays that way you can just take one out each time you need it.

Amanda
      June 28, 2016 at 10:39 am

Hello, I was wondering if the roses you use need to be fresh. I already have roses from a bouquet but those are somewhat wilted and I wanted to know if I should just get new roses or if it’s ok to use the old.

laura
      June 29, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I have always been told to add vodka to preserve the shelve life. Even keeping rosewater with nothing to preserve it in the fridge seems unlikely not to go rancid or spoil.

Connie
      July 5, 2016 at 4:58 am

Can you use dried roses to make rosewater?

MARIA
      August 3, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Organic roses? Where do i find these?

Brooke
      September 1, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I am also from Toronto and wondering where you buy your organic roses? Thank you, can’t wait to try!

sandra mccallion
      September 22, 2016 at 9:31 am

I LOVE IT MY SKIN IS SO SOFT AND GLOWING

Justina
      November 22, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Can you do this with dried roses?

Sonia
      November 30, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Same question ; can you do it with dried roses ?

Sonia
      November 30, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Can you do it with dried roses if you don’t find organic real roses ?
      Sonia recently posted…How To Actually Survive A Road Trip + Giveaway!

Sonia
      November 30, 2016 at 2:48 pm

If I am using dried petals what is the quantity I should use to follow your recipe for rose water ? Thanks so much for your answer !

Arpita
      December 12, 2016 at 4:35 am

Hi Davida, I am a big fan of DIY toners myself but my DIY rosewater gets spoilt after a week even when kept in refridgerator, Also will it be alright to use hybrid baby pink roses for this DIY or I should stick to these red roses?

December 12, 2016 at 10:39 am

Hey Arpita! I’m so sorry to hear that. Are you using distilled water? Any roses are fine but I recommend pure red roses (ideally organic) so you’re not getting any of those pesticides in there. Let me now if you have better luck next time!

mia
          September 23, 2017 at 3:59 pm

may I use these ice cubes direct on my face??

Arpita
      December 13, 2016 at 2:57 am

Thank you Davida for your reply. I use the drinking water from the RO water purifier.

nina elle
      February 18, 2017 at 2:43 am

Thanks for the easy DIY😁

Zia M.
      March 23, 2017 at 12:18 am

Hi, thank you for posting all of this. I am wondering about the toner, is it necessary to add the water? What happens if you use it straight?

Lizzie || Wholehearted Life Coach
      April 10, 2017 at 2:30 am

I have just fallen in love with spritzing my face with rose water, and I am fortunate enough to get my hands on some roses. Love this, i can not wait to try this. Thank you.
      Lizzie || Wholehearted Life Coach recently posted…Beautifully Real Food by Sam Murphy | Cookbook Competition

Marilyn
      May 7, 2017 at 1:32 pm

I cant wait to do this toner , but I just have a quick question. Does the to er have to be refrigerated all the time ?

Lori
      May 22, 2017 at 8:11 pm

I found a recipe on youtube for a DIY glowing serum. I use a popular glowing serum and found out it contained really bad ingredients so I wanted to try to make my own. The recipe called for rose water and your vid came up and I was able to make what I needed for the recipe. I had enough left over that I also made a tonic. Thank you for your fun video. It helped.

Vanessa
      May 25, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I can’t wait to try this! And it just so happens that after a recent school play, my daughters have about 4 dozen roses around, however they are on their way to being dried roses. Can these be used in place of fresh?

Zahida
      May 30, 2017 at 12:23 am

Hi, I am addicted to the rose water, I use daily and I love the smell when I spray on my face. I suffer from occasional acne on my face and have noticed that my skin looks more clearer from using the rose water. I have sprayed on cotton pads and put them over eyes, Very relaxing and soothing.

Suzie
      June 12, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Hi thanks for sharing the rose water home made with us ..i wanted to ask you is it ok to use roses from my Rose’s bushes?? They are not stems so home many roses I need for the 1.5 liter of distilled water ..thanks ..oh and my roses are pink color they are turning kinda light orange color..

Christina Durgin
      June 20, 2017 at 4:00 am

I live by the ocean. Can I use rosehip flower petals? They grow in abundance here in Sweden.
      Video was great. Very informative.

Cushion Ing Blog
      June 21, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Maria Pink Rose Coffee Pot

[…] pe called for rose water and your vid came up and I was able to make what I need […]

Jess
      July 12, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I make my own rose water from my damask rose. You can grow your own roses to make this and wont have buy roses. If you want the classic rose scent buy and antique rose online. None of them you can buy in a store unless its a rose nursery.

Jenieca
      August 15, 2017 at 1:05 am

How many days to put in the fridges?

Soph
      August 15, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Hey
      That sounds like a great idea and I’m sure gonna try it out soon
      I still have on question though, I’ve read quite a lot in this whole ‘homemade’-community that products mixed with water dont preserve that long?
      What’s the case with the rosewater here
      Also, do you think I can maybe mix son other stuff into the toner?

Thank you very much again (I hope you didnt have to answer this question for the tenth time of something)

Ileana
      August 31, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Can i just reconfirm.., Rosewater lasts up to 6 months when sealed in a glass container stored in the fridge., but when stored in a spray bottle, though placed in the fridge, it only lasts up to 6-7days according to other articles i have read…
      I have been making rosewater stored only in spray bottle, but i haven’t t really use it beyond 7days.,

Lifa
      September 7, 2017 at 6:04 am

Faeva mckoy
      September 24, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Do I have to use red roses? Can I use white or yellow ones?