bath and body Healthy How-Tos

{Video} How To Make Rosewater + DIY Rosewater Face Toner

August 11, 2015

Learn all of the benefits of Rosewater, including a step-by-step tutorial on how to make it! Not only will you learn how to make homemade rosewater, but you’ll get a DIY Rosewater Face Toner recipe too!

A step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade rosewater + a recipe for DIY Rosewater Face Toner! You'll learn all of the benfits of rosewater for your skin too.The maven is B-A-C-K with a little DIY Video action! Who’s excited? Just me? Welcome to my life.

Also included in my life is a fridge full of homemade kombucha, cold brew iced coffee and of course homemade rosewater. Because everyone’s fridge is stocked with various colors of the rainbow in refreshment form, right? More like an assortment of diet pop flavors, but I’d like to believe my refrigerator soulmate exists out in this great big world.

Sorry if I’m making absolutely no sense today. I am currently deep in the throws of video editing and I can’t remember the last time I saw the light of day. So much respect for YouTubers (insert hands in the air emoji).

Today’s video escapades resulted in this 5 minutes of glory. Approximately 1 minute of it involves me making the recipe for Homemade Rosewater, and the rest is spent staring at my lovely face explaining to the world exactly how to use it.

I suspect most of you have no idea how or why you might want to use rosewater, so I suggest actually watching the video before you think I’ve gone all Gwyneth Paltrow-pretentious on you. Sorry for the GP fans out there, but for as much as I love rosemary infused olive oil from the south of France, I’m not about to tell you it’s a kitchen necessity. Though I suspect she’d approve of this post and insist we should only be drinking and bathing in rosewater.

Anywho, if you’re curious you should probably watch the latest in my adventures in YouTube. We’re making homemade rosewater (duh) and I’ll show you how I like to use it in my skincare routine.

CHECK OUT MY VIDEO ON HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE ROSEWATER HERE

Now for the rest of you who either a) are worried my potty mouth makes the video NSFW (I tamed myself don’t worry), b) have no idea how to press play (Mom- I’m looking at you) or c) don’t care, I’ll reiterate what I shared in the video in today’s post.

Rosewater is exactly as it sounds, roses + water. It gives you all the benefits of water plus the bonus of the anti-inflammatory and hydrating advantages of rose. Plus it smells awesome.

Rosewater is used in some cuisines, but I find myself using it most frequently in my skincare routine. People live and die by this stuff, but I’m not desperate enough to spend $10 on a small bottle.

Fortunately, I’m thrifty and was able to make over 3 bottles for the same price. Love me a good deal, and especially when the DIY version is stupidly easy.

A step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade rosewater + a recipe for DIY Rosewater Face Toner! You'll learn all of the benfits of rosewater for your skin too.Now for some of the ways I like to use this rosewater in my skincare routine:

1. Skin Toner – by and far this is the #1 way I like to use it. I also love my tea tree oil face toner I posted on SHEuncovered but even though it’s effective, the lingering scent of apple cider vinegar ain’t got nothing on rose.

2. In the bath – I’ll add about a cup to my bath water for extra hydration and relaxation from the scent.

3. Natural Perfume– we’ll get into the discussion of conventional perfume another day, but let’s just say you are far better off sticking to this natural version.

4. Face refresher/Make-up setter – Spray this on your face when you’re at your 3:00 PM slump…it works.

These are just a few of the many ways you can use rosewater. Now that I’ve hacked a super easy and cheap version for you, I challenge you to go out and experiment! But if you air on the side of caution, try my DIY Rosewater Face Toner. I promise you will be in love (roses included).

How To Make Rosewater + DIY Rosewater Face Toner

• Total Time: 30 minutes
  • Yield: 1.5 litres

For the Homemade Rosewater:

• Organic Roses (as many as you like-I used 7 stems)
  • Distilled water (enough to cover the rose petals- I used about 1.5 litres)

For the Homemade Rosewater Face Toner:

For the Homemade Rosewater:

1. Remove petals from stems and run them under luke-warm water to remove any leftover residue.
  2. Add petals to a large pot and top with enough distilled water to just cover (no more or you’ll dilute your rosewater).
  3. over medium-low heat bring the water to a simmer and cover.
  4. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until petals have lost their color and are a pale pink.
  5. Strain the mixture to separate the petals from the water.
  6. Discard petals and place water in a glass jar to store.

For the Homemade Rosewater Face Toner:

1. Combine all ingredients in spray bottle and shake.
  2. To apply: spray directly on face or spray a cotton pad and wipe face to remove any residue.

Notes

*Note: Using 7 stems makes around 1.5 litres of rosewater. This seems like a lot but it keeps for a long time in the fridge. Just store in a sealed, glass container until ready to use.

A step-by-step tutorial on how to make homemade rosewater + a recipe for DIY Rosewater Face Toner! You'll learn all of the benfits of rosewater for your skin too.Have you ever used rosewater? What for? Are you a Gwyneth Paltrow fan?

LOVE THESE NATURAL BEAUTY TIPS? Join the THM Community!

Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about natural beauty, products I'm loving and how to transition to a more natural lifestyle.

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    August 11, 2015 at 8:32 am

Loveeee this! Rosewater is my favorite toner, but I’ve never made it myself. Definitely doing this once my current bottle runs out! Sidenote: I’m kind of convinced we like all the same things.

August 11, 2015 at 7:39 pm

SAME PERSON. Knew it!!

Rose
      October 20, 2017 at 9:32 pm

Hi I wanted to ask you a question how long does this Rosewater last for

Mz Karen
        February 13, 2018 at 2:44 pm

2-3 months when kept in cool dry dark place between use. Using only for yourself I would say only make 4oz at a time.
        Also, for a zing I add half distilled water and half seltzer!

Vesna Pushnik
          November 11, 2018 at 11:12 am

I will try the recipe. I hope it works. But I believe you must use it quickly otherwise it looses its scent.

Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits
    August 13, 2015 at 12:57 am

I’m juuust starting to get into DIY beauty, and I’m sooo glad you posted this, Davida! The facial toners that I usually use are way too harsh on my skin, so I’ve been looking for some good toner formulas to make on my own. Also, LOVED the video!
    Lisa @ Healthy Nibbles & Bits recently posted…Avocado Cantaloupe Boats with Pomegranate Balsamic Reduction

August 13, 2015 at 8:15 am

Thank you, lovely! The rosewater toner is super gentle on skin. Honestly, my skin has transformed since I started using it! Hope you enjoy 🙂

Amanda
    January 20, 2016 at 10:58 am

I can’t wait to make this! Can you tell me though….does the rosewater need to be diluted to make a suitable toner, or can it be used full-strength? I wasn’t planning on diluting because my skin needs serious help, but I don’t want to do more harm than good if it’s too strong! Thanks!

The Healthy Maven
      January 20, 2016 at 2:37 pm

You totally don’t need to dilute. I just recommend it if you have super sensitive skin like I do. Otherwise you can just use straight rosewater 🙂 Hope you enjoy!

Shiela
    January 22, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hi. I am wondering how long it will last the DIY rose water. What do I need to put to let it stay fresh? Is it safe to combined to other product to be applied in the face and body like natural clay mask?
    Thank you.

The Healthy Maven
      January 22, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I keep mine in the fridge for up to 6 months. And absolutely! Feel free to combine with other products 🙂 Enjoy!

Stacey G. Sullivan
        June 14, 2018 at 4:10 pm

Hi there. In the directions it reads in fine print that it can be stored up to 6 months in a sealed glass container. Does the container or jar have to be sealed or will it be okay if the lid fits or screws on like a mason jar?

Shanthini
    January 27, 2016 at 11:26 pm

Hi there ! My rose bushes are in full bloom at the moment and this is just what I was looking for ! Can’t wait to try :))

January 28, 2016 at 9:53 am

Wonderful! So envious of your rose bushes 🙂 Enjoy!

panimalar
    February 22, 2016 at 6:42 am

Hi,
    I made the rose water and spray it on my face. But I feel it is a big sticky to my face and my face turn like pink color. Is this normal ?

February 22, 2016 at 7:53 am

No definitely not normal. What kind of roses did you use? It’s possible if you didn’t use organic roses that some of the pesticides they’re sprayed with are causing it…

panimalar
        February 22, 2016 at 8:00 pm

ok tq for your reply. Will try to redo again with organic roses.

Stacey G. Sullivan
        June 14, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Hi there. Is it only good to use red roses or can the roses be any color?

Annika
    February 23, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I would LOVE to try this but I really don’t want to make it with non-organic roses. I have tries searching for organic ones in different health stores but not found any. Where would you suggest I try looking?

Claire
      July 7, 2016 at 9:14 pm

Mountain rose herbs (website) has high quality stuff, including dried roses/petals.

Farah
    February 25, 2016 at 7:59 am

Any idea where i can buy organic roses? have been looking around for a while. I don’t know if this is more difficult to find in the UK x

Nidhi
    March 14, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Hi,I just read your article about preparing rose water toner,here are few queries
    1.Does rosewater toner opens the pores of the skin
    2.Does rosewater toner makes skin dry
    3.Does rosewater toner leads to a burning sensation on skin.
    How is aloevera as a toner when compared with rosewater,also tell me that after applying natural aloevera gel over face does it opens pores?

Ronique
    March 29, 2016 at 12:22 am

Hi, I loved this post, just wandering if I need to add a preservatie, because water is involved? :/

March 30, 2016 at 8:49 am

Nope! Mine usually lists up to 6 months!

Ileana
        August 30, 2017 at 6:20 am

can i just reconfirm.., Rosewater lasts up to 6 months when sealed in a glass container stored in the fridge., but when stored in a spray bottle, though placed in the fridge, it only lasts up to 6-7days?
        I have been making rosewater stored only in spray bottle, but i dont really use it beyond 7days., as read in a different article.

Ronique
    March 29, 2016 at 12:23 am

*preservative

Allyson
    June 16, 2016 at 10:16 am

Okay, so I know this post is not recent, but I thought I’d leave this comment for you anyway. I know a man who makes jams and such from locally sourced ingredients to sell at the farmers market, and he makes an amazing jelly with pomegranate and rosewater. It was the first of his I tried, and though I have at least five different spreads of his in my refrigerator pretty much always, it is still my favorite. It’s delicious! And your video is great :> thanks for the excellent instruction.

Tiffany Webb
    June 21, 2016 at 11:18 pm

I was about to buy some rosewater on Amazon and thought to myself, “Can you MAKE your own rosewater??” Sure enough, thanks to your instructions, I can! I know you said it last for up to 6 months in your fridge. Our roses are blooming now so I was thinking about making some gigantic batches and freezing them. Do you think that would work? Thanks!

June 22, 2016 at 10:12 am

oooooh that’s a good question! I’m actually unsure how well it would work with frozen roses. Wish I could be more helpful!

Vivian
        February 8, 2018 at 11:35 am

I think she meant freezing the made up rose water? But I guess you could try and freeze the petals but it would need to be airtight wih the air pressed out of the bag to stay fresh or suspended in water. Otherwise the petals would quickly get freezer burn as they are so thin. I think this is why people dry them. But freezing the rosewater sounds like a good idea.

Allison Turner
      June 24, 2016 at 9:00 am

Yes you can freeze home made rose water. I freeze them in ice cube trays that way you can just take one out each time you need it.

Amanda
    June 28, 2016 at 10:39 am

Hello, I was wondering if the roses you use need to be fresh. I already have roses from a bouquet but those are somewhat wilted and I wanted to know if I should just get new roses or if it’s ok to use the old.

laura
    June 29, 2016 at 12:15 pm

I have always been told to add vodka to preserve the shelve life. Even keeping rosewater with nothing to preserve it in the fridge seems unlikely not to go rancid or spoil.

Connie
    July 5, 2016 at 4:58 am

Can you use dried roses to make rosewater?

MARIA
    August 3, 2016 at 12:45 pm

Organic roses? Where do i find these?

Brooke
    September 1, 2016 at 12:49 pm

I am also from Toronto and wondering where you buy your organic roses? Thank you, can’t wait to try!

sandra mccallion
    September 22, 2016 at 9:31 am

I LOVE IT MY SKIN IS SO SOFT AND GLOWING

Justina
    November 22, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Can you do this with dried roses?

Sonia
    November 30, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Same question ; can you do it with dried roses ?

Sonia
    November 30, 2016 at 12:21 pm

Can you do it with dried roses if you don’t find organic real roses ?
    Sonia recently posted…How To Actually Survive A Road Trip + Giveaway!

Sonia
    November 30, 2016 at 2:48 pm

If I am using dried petals what is the quantity I should use to follow your recipe for rose water ? Thanks so much for your answer !

Arpita
    December 12, 2016 at 4:35 am

Hi Davida, I am a big fan of DIY toners myself but my DIY rosewater gets spoilt after a week even when kept in refridgerator, Also will it be alright to use hybrid baby pink roses for this DIY or I should stick to these red roses?

December 12, 2016 at 10:39 am

Hey Arpita! I’m so sorry to hear that. Are you using distilled water? Any roses are fine but I recommend pure red roses (ideally organic) so you’re not getting any of those pesticides in there. Let me now if you have better luck next time!

mia
        September 23, 2017 at 3:59 pm

may I use these ice cubes direct on my face??

Arpita
    December 13, 2016 at 2:57 am

Thank you Davida for your reply. I use the drinking water from the RO water purifier.

nina elle
    February 18, 2017 at 2:43 am

Thanks for the easy DIY😁

Zia M.
    March 23, 2017 at 12:18 am

Hi, thank you for posting all of this. I am wondering about the toner, is it necessary to add the water? What happens if you use it straight?

Lizzie || Wholehearted Life Coach
    April 10, 2017 at 2:30 am

I have just fallen in love with spritzing my face with rose water, and I am fortunate enough to get my hands on some roses. Love this, i can not wait to try this. Thank you.
    Lizzie || Wholehearted Life Coach recently posted…Beautifully Real Food by Sam Murphy | Cookbook Competition

Marilyn
    May 7, 2017 at 1:32 pm

I cant wait to do this toner , but I just have a quick question. Does the to er have to be refrigerated all the time ?

Lori
    May 22, 2017 at 8:11 pm

I found a recipe on youtube for a DIY glowing serum. I use a popular glowing serum and found out it contained really bad ingredients so I wanted to try to make my own. The recipe called for rose water and your vid came up and I was able to make what I needed for the recipe. I had enough left over that I also made a tonic. Thank you for your fun video. It helped.

Vanessa
    May 25, 2017 at 10:26 pm

I can’t wait to try this! And it just so happens that after a recent school play, my daughters have about 4 dozen roses around, however they are on their way to being dried roses. Can these be used in place of fresh?

Zahida
    May 30, 2017 at 12:23 am

Hi, I am addicted to the rose water, I use daily and I love the smell when I spray on my face. I suffer from occasional acne on my face and have noticed that my skin looks more clearer from using the rose water. I have sprayed on cotton pads and put them over eyes, Very relaxing and soothing.

Suzie
    June 12, 2017 at 5:16 pm

Hi thanks for sharing the rose water home made with us ..i wanted to ask you is it ok to use roses from my Rose’s bushes?? They are not stems so home many roses I need for the 1.5 liter of distilled water ..thanks ..oh and my roses are pink color they are turning kinda light orange color..

Christina Durgin
    June 20, 2017 at 4:00 am

I live by the ocean. Can I use rosehip flower petals? They grow in abundance here in Sweden.
    Video was great. Very informative.

Cushion Ing Blog
    June 21, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Maria Pink Rose Coffee Pot

[…] pe called for rose water and your vid came up and I was able to make what I need […]

Jess
    July 12, 2017 at 2:24 pm

I make my own rose water from my damask rose. You can grow your own roses to make this and wont have buy roses. If you want the classic rose scent buy and antique rose online. None of them you can buy in a store unless its a rose nursery.

Jenieca
    August 15, 2017 at 1:05 am

How many days to put in the fridges?

Soph
    August 15, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Hey
    That sounds like a great idea and I’m sure gonna try it out soon
    I still have on question though, I’ve read quite a lot in this whole ‘homemade’-community that products mixed with water dont preserve that long?
    What’s the case with the rosewater here
    Also, do you think I can maybe mix son other stuff into the toner?

Thank you very much again (I hope you didnt have to answer this question for the tenth time of something)

Ileana
    August 31, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Can i just reconfirm.., Rosewater lasts up to 6 months when sealed in a glass container stored in the fridge., but when stored in a spray bottle, though placed in the fridge, it only lasts up to 6-7days according to other articles i have read…
    I have been making rosewater stored only in spray bottle, but i haven’t t really use it beyond 7days.,

Lifa
    September 7, 2017 at 6:04 am

Faeva mckoy
    September 24, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Do I have to use red roses? Can I use white or yellow ones?

Kathy
    October 24, 2017 at 3:53 pm

can I soak incense cones in the rose water? For rose scented incense cones.

JoDean Gillum
    November 10, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I was wondering the same thing. I have beautiful yellow roses in my yard and yes they are organic. So my question is why does the color make a difference. Thank you for your assistance

Michelle foster
    November 19, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I bought a dozen red roses and finished making my rose water but no smell
    Help I wanted them for a shower I am giving

Kelley A Benson
    November 24, 2017 at 10:51 am

I just stumbled upon this site and love it! I live in Michigan. We had one of the hottest summers this year. (doesn’t help that we have a climate denying president 😠) A dear Indian friend made me a glass of rose water drink that she said they drink in India to stay hydrated in the heat. Can I make the sweet drink from the diy rose water? If so, what is the dilution and how much sugat should I add? It was very sweet and yummy!

Olivia
    November 27, 2017 at 4:55 am

Hi I was just wondering how long the toner would last out of the fridge. Thanks.

Christine
    January 13, 2018 at 5:29 am

I have some organic rose powder. Can you pleasenadvise on ratios of powder to water to make a spray for face and hair. Thiking of addig some glycerin too!

Mz Karen
      February 13, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Quality varies from source to source, but I would start with 1/2 ounce rose powder to 4 oz of water. See how that does.

Alisha
    January 28, 2018 at 4:24 pm

How long does the timer last outside the fridge and can I use dried rose petals? I’ve seen several people ask these questions but I see no answer and I’m super curious also. Can you help?

Mz Karen
      February 13, 2018 at 2:53 pm

Yes you can use dry, but let them soak to absorb water 30 minutes or so before you cook. You use less than fresh because fresh are 80% water.
      If you put this in a cool dry dark place between using it, like I keep my house at 70%, my 4oz will last 2-3 months, about the same in the fridge because it is moist.

Erin
    February 18, 2018 at 4:15 pm

I received a bouquet of roses from the grocery store for Valentines day. Can I use these roses? Or do they need to be home-grown?

February 19, 2018 at 3:18 pm

You certainly can! Just give them a good wash to get rid of any pesticides. Organic is ideal but I get that it isn’t always possible!

Zainab
    April 2, 2018 at 12:39 pm

hey davida, i have been getting white pimples using rosewater well i am assuming that but then i relized my rose water is expired. So does the rose water being expired has to do anything with my pimples?

Linda m Fedak
      August 17, 2018 at 7:34 am

Hi Zainab, I n reply to your question regarding rosewater being related to your pimples, I;m not a specialist, but I do know, that anything that acts as an astringent, or closes pores, as does Rosewater, it can cause pimples, because everyone’s skin type is different, but all needs to breath, so if you have oily skin, some astringent is good, but not too strong, if you have dry skin, and use a toner or astringent, your pores are already tight, so you would be trapping oils in, if that be the case, you might want to dilute the rosewater more, or mix it with a moisturizer, and use it more like a creme. I know this area,from experience, because I have combo skin, and my daughter has very dry skin. You can also get little white pimples from being irritated, same thing applies. I hope this helps !

Lisa
    April 8, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Question can you use other color roses or
    Do they have to be red

Kylie
    April 9, 2018 at 7:34 pm

Do you have to use organic roses? We do not have any around where I live.

Ceilidh
    June 7, 2018 at 3:48 pm

Hi, Great Video and information. I would like to point out, however, it looks like you are using an aluminum pot to make the rose water in. When Aluminum pots release aluminum into the contents of the pot during the cooking process. So, rose water made in an aluminum pot will have traces of aluminum in it, which is bad for your body and is known to contribute significantly to the onset of Alzheimer’s disease.
    It is best to use a stainless steel pot to cook anything you are making to put on your skin. Cheers,

CryssiB .
    June 15, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Question: Can you use white or pink rose petals, & will they have the same effect as red roses ?

Dani
    July 14, 2018 at 12:18 am

Very eager to try however I would be a total beginner at making this, and I was wondering how you will know that the rose water has turned bad?

Joy Amanda
    July 16, 2018 at 2:18 am

I tried the recipe but my water came out green .help me explain this.

James
    August 11, 2018 at 11:24 am

Just followed these instructions down to the letter and ended up with water that was gray and smells like pasta noodles!

Emma
    August 25, 2018 at 6:57 pm

just a heads up, i linked this recipe in my blog post where i shared my experience making this!! thanks so much!!

TonyNghia
    September 6, 2018 at 1:15 am

Your post is very great. Hope you’ll be sucessfull in your life!
    chrome 49+

Melissa
    October 8, 2018 at 2:24 pm

I made this and my water doesn’t smell like roses at all. I’m not sure what the issue is or what happened. I used a bouquet of yellow and pinkish lavender roses not red, but they were very fragrant. The water kind of smells like diluted tomato water and a bit earthy. Can anyone help?

Samantha Nehmi
    October 23, 2018 at 5:14 pm

do you suggest getting full rose buds or just the leaf for this?? or does it not really matter?? I want to buy off an herb website so I can guarantee organic. so excited to try this thank you!!!