Fall gluten-free paleo sides vegan

Cauliflower Rice Stuffing + 6 Healthy Thanksgiving Sides

November 10, 2015

This healthy, low-carb cauliflower rice stuffing will convince your Thanksgiving guests to jump on board the cauliflower rice train, while secretly getting them to eat more veggies! Plus it’s ready in under 20 minutes.

This healthy, low-carb cauliflower rice stuffing will convince your Thanksgiving guests to jump on board the cauliflower rice train, while secretly getting them to eat more veggies! Plus it's ready in under 20 minutes. I’ll be totally honest, this post is making me a tad envious. For the first time in a couple of years I won’t be celebrating Thanksgiving. Technically, we already had Thanksgiving here in Canada but I’ve never once celebrated Canadian Thanksgiving. It’s not that I don’t believe in it, but I kind of don’t believe in it.

I appreciate any holiday whose sole goal is to give thanks but Canadian thanksgiving ain’t got nothing on US Thanksgiving. People can’t even figure out what day Thanksgiving technically falls on…oh Canada!

Last year C and I had an EPIC Thanksgiving in San Francisco with his fam (check out the post here!) that fuelled my American dream for a good while, but this year we’re keeping the travel to a minimum before heading to Minnesota for Christmas.

But I may just have to whip up all of these AMAZING Thanksgiving side dishes anyway. Who even needs the turkey with these insane-looking recipes!

Healthy-Thanksgiving-SidesLee from Fit Foodie Finds made these delicious Balsamic Sea Salt Roasted Brussels Sprouts. They’re perfect for the holiday season and make the most delicious vegan and paleo side that everyone will gobble up!

Get the recipe –> HERE

Make these delicious Balsamic Sea Salt Roasted Brussels Sprouts this holiday season for the most delicious vegan and paleo side that everyone will gobble up! Brittany from Eating Bird Food is adding some extra green to your holiday table with this flavorful recipe for tender crisp green beans tossed with caramelized shallots, toasted almonds and fresh parsley.

Get the recipe –> HERE

This healthy, low-carb cauliflower rice stuffing will convince your Thanksgiving guests to jump on board the cauliflower rice train, while secretly getting them to eat more veggies! Plus it's ready in under 20 minutes.Gina from Running to the Kitchen has simplified and paleofied your cranberry sauce with this slow cooker 5-ingredient cranberry sauce. Make it in the slow cooker and save the stove-top space for all the other Thanksgiving sides.

Get the recipe –> HERE

This simple cranberry sauce is made with just 5 ingredients. Make it in the slow cooker and save the stove-top space for all the other Thanksgiving sides.Lexi from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen put together a Harvest Salad that has all the ingredients you’ll want in a Fall dish! Packed with chopped kale, roasted squash, pomegranate seeds, toasted pecans and topped with a super easy & delicious Maple Balsamic for the absolute perfect Thanksgiving salad!

Get the recipe –> HERE

This Salad has all the ingredients you'll want in a Fall dish! Packed with chopped kale, roasted squash, pomegranate seeds, toasted pecans and topped with a super easy & delicious Maple Balsamic for the absolute perfect Thanksgiving salad! Taylor from Food Faith Fitness made Scalloped Sweet Potatoes! They are SO creamy and flavorful, you’ll have a hard time believing they’re secretly healthy and paleo and vegan friendly!

Get the recipe –> HERE

GROUP-1Sitting here on a casual Tuesday eating my cauliflower rice stuffing feels kind of liberating. We all save stuffing for once (maybe twice) a year, since it’s basically the opposite of nutritious. But hot damn is it delicious.

I mean when you take bread, mix in a few veggies and nuts and shove it inside an animal carcass to cook for 12 hours, it better damn well taste amazing.

But this cauliflower rice stuffing just gave you permission to eat stuffing year round. What is isn’t: bread, veggies and nuts cooked inside a turkey carcass. What it is: absolutely delicious, veggie-packed and a million times more nutritious.

This healthy, low-carb cauliflower rice stuffing will convince your Thanksgiving guests to jump on board the cauliflower rice train, while secretly getting them to eat more veggies! Plus it's ready in under 20 minutes.Have you guys ever tried cauliflower rice? For some reason it seems to be a huge hit with moms (generalization, sorry), but I have to admit that it’s pretty good. I love me some rice but it can be SO filling sometimes that you can just barely squeeze in your meal. The benefit of cauliflower rice is that it’s way faster to cook, and way less filling so you can eat like 10x the portion. Okay, that rule only applies on Thanksgiving.

All you need is a head of cauliflower and a food processor. You process it for around a minute and then BAM you’ve got a healthy, low-carb, veggie-filled substitute for rice.

And as it turns out, a pretty delicious substitute for stuffing too!

Cauliflower Rice Stuffing + 5 Healthy Thanksgiving Sides

• 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
  • 2 1/2 tsp dried sage
  • 1 T poultry seasoning
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper

1. Pulse cauliflower in a food processor until “rice” consistency is reached.
  2. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  3. Add onions, garlic and celery and sauté for 5 mins
  4. Add in cauliflower and cook for about 10 minutes, or until fully cooked.
  5. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until they've begun to sweat (about another 5 mins)
  6. Top with pecans, spices and vinegar and cook for 1 min.
  7. Serve warm or store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.

Notes

*NOTE: This is not to be stuffed inside a turkey. Cook only on the stove top and serve alongside turkey.

This healthy, low-carb cauliflower rice stuffing will convince your Thanksgiving guests to jump on board the cauliflower rice train, while secretly getting them to eat more veggies! Plus it's ready in under 20 minutes.What are your favorite Thanksgiving sides? Do you have plans for Thanksgiving this year?

Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness
    November 10, 2015 at 7:28 am

It’s MAJORLY brilliant that you used cauliflower rice in stuffing – I would have never thought of that. Cauli rice is my thing, so I need to try this! Pinned!
    Taylor @ Food Faith Fitness recently posted…Scalloped Sweet Potatoes + Healthy Thanksgiving Sides {Paleo + Vegan}

November 11, 2015 at 8:05 am

It came to me in a dream…I wish I were kidding haha. And yes I dream about stuffing.

Bee
        December 28, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Just made this recipe to go with my leftover turkey. It’s one of the worse recipes I’ve tried. I guess not everything can be made healthy.

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    November 10, 2015 at 9:42 am

Not living in the US, I only know what I know about US Thanksgiving from movies, but I so would love to try it out once, love all the delicious treats served for the holiday 🙂

And I agree, these sides sound wonderfully tasty!

ps: What a huge favour of fortune that Lee lives in the same city C’s family, so that you can combine meeting with Lee when you are on a family visit 🙂
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Roasted Beet Hummus

November 11, 2015 at 8:05 am

So so lucky! They’re legit neighbors. It’s convenient and so special!

Kerri Shaw
    November 10, 2015 at 10:44 am

This looks amazing! Although my daughter and I don’t care for mushrooms. Do you have any suggestion of a replacement for mushrooms in this recipe, or will it not work without them?

November 11, 2015 at 8:07 am

Totally can omit them! Feel free to replace them with another veggie if you’d like! It may be a bit heavy on the cauliflower rice without the mushrooms but it will still taste great 🙂

Kerri Shaw
        November 11, 2015 at 10:50 am

You. Are. Awesome. Thank you!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 10, 2015 at 10:45 am

Mmmm cauliflower rice is perfect for stuffing! It’s so tender and sucks up all the flavors. And that Harvest Salad…..omg.
    PS your photos are gorgeous! Major goals.
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Vegan Chocolate Pudding Pie

November 11, 2015 at 8:07 am

Aw thank you, lovely! I know Lexi’s salad looks unreal! Can’t wait to make it.

Dani @ Dani California Cooks
    November 10, 2015 at 12:53 pm

I love cauliflower rice – I eat it all the time. Often I’ll serve Nate regular brown rice and I’ll use cauli-rice for me. You can freeze the “rice” raw after you process it so you don’t have to whip out your food processor every time you want some!
    Dani @ Dani California Cooks recently posted…Turkish Lentil Soup (vegan, gluten free)

November 11, 2015 at 8:08 am

Seriously?! This is life-changing. Almost like when I discovered you can freeze avocados!

Mallory
        November 13, 2016 at 10:07 pm

I came across this post a couple weeks back, and I’m literally making all but two things on this group post, sooooooooo thank you! 😉 We will be vacationing on Thanksgiving (best tradition ever) so I’m planning/purchasing as many grocery list items pre-vacay as possible. I was wondering if I could purchase frozen cauliflower rice and use it in this recipe when I came across this comment. Do you think I should thaw first? Or just follow original recipe?

She Rocks Fitness
    November 10, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I am driving home to NJ for a small family Thanksgiving! It is going to be a quiet one, but that is okay. I am looking forward to my Mom’s Turkey and her stuffing…Salty goodness…Cannot believe it so close…AHHH!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…November Nourishment

November 11, 2015 at 8:09 am

That sounds lovely! I’m so jealous. I may just have to roast up a turkey here!

Karly
    November 12, 2015 at 8:20 am

I’m a mom and I’m totally obsessed with cauli rice. Ha. I’m also obsessed with stuffing, so I’m totally making this!
    Karly recently posted…Maple Glazed Cinnamon Scones

November 12, 2015 at 9:33 am

So the theory stands!!! Haha thanks Karly. I have no doubts your thanksgiving is going to be epic!

Heather | Cook It Up Paleo
    November 12, 2015 at 9:43 am

This looks seriously yummy; I love cauliflower rice!
    Heather | Cook It Up Paleo recently posted…Paleo Chocolate Bark with Coconut and Sea Salt

Chrissa - Physical Kitchness
    November 13, 2015 at 11:02 am

Mmmm! Shared this great recipe for my post today – 12 Whole30 Thanksgiving Side Dishes: http://physicalkitchness.com/whole30-thanksgiving-side-dishes/

Thanks for the inspiration Davida!! I am sure my readers will love it.
    Chrissa – Physical Kitchness recently posted…Whole30 Thanksgiving Side Dishes

November 16, 2015 at 11:23 am

I’m actually planning on volunteering at my favorite vegan restaurant Cafe Gratitude for Thanksgiving! It’s a great way to spend the day by giving back!

Joann@EuchreFun
    November 20, 2015 at 1:57 am

My Dr just put me on gluten-free which will be a challenge for Thanksgiving this year !?! LoL This recipe looks DEEELISH! I am buying the ingredients tomorrow to give it a try. It looks like a great alternative for us!! So glad I saw it on The Pin Junkie 🙂
    Joann@EuchreFun recently posted…Eastside Teen Outreach Euchre FUNdraiser – November 22 – Eastpointe, MI

Jess Schua
    November 22, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Do you have a measurement for the 2 cauliflower heads?
    My 2 heads came to over 8 cups riced which was nearly impossible to cook at once. I halved it, but the seasonings were then overpowering.
    This first attempt went to a work potluck, but I’d love to have a better version ready for this Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

November 22, 2015 at 3:52 pm

It’s around 6 cups! Not cauliflower head will yield an exact amount so aim for 6 cups which for me was about 2 medium-sized heads. Hope you have better luck next time!

Theresa@aloveafare
    October 9, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Can I say brilliant? I used to eat stuffing but stopped because yes it’s too filling. I’d like to say it’s not only moms who dig cauliflower rice but one of my many titles is Mom. Guilty! I can’t wait to try this. Your photos are great and I’m putting it on my list of must try recipes today! Thanks for the inspiration.

Mallory
    November 15, 2016 at 11:18 am

I would totally think it’s OK, but can I use frozen cauliflower rice in place of fresh? Thank you!

Kathleen
    November 16, 2016 at 7:56 am

Wondering if I can make this using the crockpot? Could I cook it up ahead of time, and then put it into the crockpot to essentially keep it warm and continue to cook a bit for a few hours prior to meal time? Would it become too mushy if it’s in the crockpot too long? Thanks for any help and suggestions you may have 🙂

November 16, 2016 at 11:15 am

I wouldn’t recommend making it in the crockpot as if will definitely get mushy. It doesn’t require too much cooking time and can certainly be whipped up ahead of time.

haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine
    November 17, 2016 at 12:32 pm

UM WOW. This sounds INCREDIBLE. Who would’ve thunk Cauliflower rice stuffing?! YUM! Can’t wait to make this!
    haley @Cupcakes and Sunshine recently posted…crafty days!

Michaela
    November 21, 2016 at 4:24 pm

I really want to view these recipes but can’t figure out the links. They keep sending me in circles. Can’t find the recipes!! 🙁

Andrea
    November 22, 2016 at 2:14 pm

This recipe looks to be a lifesaver for our Thanksgiving meal. Could a person make this a day in advance then warm up in the oven before dinner is served? Do you think it would make the cauliflower rice to mushy?

Nikki
    November 23, 2016 at 7:33 pm

This turned out amazing! Do you have nutritional information?

Kristi
    November 24, 2016 at 5:14 pm

I made this for my sisters today ( they’re on a paleo diet for health reasons) and they went NUTS!!! They had a rather lousy thanksgiving dinner last year and were thrilled not to have to go through that again. I tweaked the seasonings a bit so that it would taste like a traditional stuffing and it was perfect. Thanks so much for all you do!

Susan D
    December 8, 2016 at 9:07 pm

I finally got the chance to make this last night and it was amazing! I could literally eat stuffing with every meal I love it so much… to be honest I didn’t expect to like it because I’m so used to the recipe handed down through my family. SO happy I gave it a chance… now I can eat stuffing more often!

Kathleen Thompson
    September 30, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I am going to make this recipe for my CANADIAN Thanksgiving, that is kind of lame and we never know what day it is on, but what the heck.
    It looks like a great Gluten Free alternative to a traditional bread stuffing,