Welcome Fall with this zesty and flavourful sweet potato side dish! This Orange Pecan Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole is easy to make, and the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving table or weeknight dinner.
In past years I’ve kind of given Canadian Thanksgiving a bad rap. As a dual citizen, I’ve experienced both American and Canadian Thanksgiving and have maybe been a bit too #TeamUSA at times. While there’s certainly no denying that Americans can throw an epic feast, I also think Canadian Thanksgiving is a bit more timely when you consider that the fall harvest generally occurs in late September-October, and not after the first snowfall (Canada problems…) at the end of November.
But either way, I can appreciate any holiday that gives thanks to the friends and families in our lives but also for the beautiful fall bounty we’re adorned with. Squash, brussels sprouts, broccoli, eggplant and let’s not forget our fall citrus!
Every family seems to have their own preference when it comes to sweet potato casserole. Some like it topped with marshmallows and some like a brown sugar crumble on top. I went a completely different route and played up the flavors of the filling and then kept it simple by topping it with pecans.
Here’s What You Need
- Sweet potatoes – look for sweet potatoes that are firm, with smooth skin. Avoid potatoes that have bruises or cracks if possible!
- Olive oil – to coat the potatoes for roasting. Avocado oil works as well.
- Orange juice – use freshly squeezed orange juice or store-bought juice!
- Tahini – the secret ingredient! Tahini adds a delicious, creamy, slightly nutty flavor to the filling.
- Pecans – I recommend using raw pecans as they will toast during the second baking.
- Salt and pepper – to bring all of the flavors together!
How to Make Sweet Potato Casserole
STEP 1: Chop the sweet potatoes into cubes and coat with olive oil, orange juice, salt and pepper.
STEP 2: Roast at 400ºF for 30 minutes.
STEP 3: Add the roasted sweet potatoes to a food processor and process until smooth. Add in the tahini and orange juice and continue processing until well combined.
STEP 4: Add to a medium sized casserole dish and top with pecans. Bake for 15 minutes or until the pecans are toasted.
What to Pair It With
Whether you’re making this dish for Thanksgiving dinner or just a cozy fall or winter side, here are some serving suggestions:
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Maple Roasted Squash
- Cauliflower Rice Stuffing
- Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- Mashed Cauliflower
- Sweet Potato Cornbread
How to Store Leftovers
If you have leftover sweet potato casserole, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. I haven’t tried freezing but you should be able to freeze for longer storage as well.Print
Orange Pecan Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings 1x
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or 3 large)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup pecans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop potatoes into cubes and coat with olive oil, 1/4 cup orange juice and salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add in tahini and 3/4 cup orange juice and continue processing until well combined.
- Add to a medium casserole dish and top with pecans.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pecans are toasted.
- Serve immediately.
Like this recipe? Here are a few others you might enjoy:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!