In past years I’ve kind of given Canadian Thanksgiving a bad rap. As a dual citizen, I’ve experienced both American and Canadian Thanksgiving and have maybe been a bit too #TeamUSA at times. While there’s certainly no denying that Americans can throw an epic feast, I also think Canadian Thanksgiving is a bit more timely when you consider that the fall harvest general occurs in late September-October, and not after the first snowfall (Canada problems…) at the end of November.
But either way, I can appreciate any holiday that gives thanks to the friends and families in our lives but also for the beautiful fall bounty we’re adorned with. Squash, brussels sprouts, broccoli, eggplant and let’s not forget our fall citrus!
Where I’m from, an orange grove is virtually unheard of. So unless you consider that a large chunk of Canadians make their way south for winter, very few of us have access to fresh and local citrus. In my dreams I’d have an orange tree growing in my backyard, but I think I’m going to have to get some seriously good karma before that happens.
In the meantime, it’s nice to know I can still get in my Vitamin C with delicious alternatives like Tropicana® Pure Premium Orange Juice. So as I plan for my Thanksgiving feast, I’m thankful for the fall harvest growing near and far. For the local sweet potatoes and Florida oranges. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate than with this Orange Pecan Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole.Print
Orange Pecan Mashed Sweet Potato Casserole
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 servings
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (or 3 large)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup Tropicana Pure Premium Orange Juice
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 cup pecans
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop potatoes into cubes and coat with olive oil, 1/4 cup orange juice and salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Add in tahini and 3/4 cup orange juice and continue processing until well combined.
- Add to a medium casserole dish and top with pecans.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until pecans are toasted.
- Serve immediately.
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored my Tropicana® Canada. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make THM possible.
What foods are local to you? What fall foods are you thankful for?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 8000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!