Prep your breakfast in 5 minutes or less with these Banana Nut Overnight Oats. Pop them in the fridge overnight for an easy, healthy and nutritious breakfast waiting for you in the morning.
I feel like people are in two camps when it comes to oatmeal – they either love it or despise it. I’m willing to bet if you’re not in love with oatmeal, you likely aren’t adding enough fun flavors in!
Over the years my morning oats have made quite the transformation. They started off pretty basic with just some bananas and nuts before I dove into some crazier flavors like this mocha version or this pumpkin spice latte version. Likewise, my overnight oats photo styling has seemed to have gotten a little fancier…Can you blame me?
But sometimes you gotta go back to the basics! I created these Banana Nut Overnight Oats and they were too good not to share.
Why Overnight Oats?
I love overnight oats for a few reasons:
- Number one has got to be how easy they are! Just mix and set it in your refrigerator! Will close to no effort, you get to wake up to a delicious breakfast.
- The second reason is the temperature! I know that sounds weird but I love that it’s cold oatmeal! I don’t crave a hot bowl of oatmeal in the summer usually so this is my fix.
- Lastly, I love that the flavor combinations are truly endless. Once you feel comfortable making this recipe, try some fun additions like nut butter or fresh berries!
Banana Nut Overnight Oat Ingredients
- rolled oats – grab gluten-free oats if necessary.
- chia seeds – adds fiber, protein and healthy fats! It also helps thicken the overnight oats.
- banana – adds sweetness and obviously the banana flavor!
- chopped walnuts – I toasted these for extra flavor. Walnuts are also packed with healthy fats.
- unsweetened almond milk – you can use any dairy-free milk.
- optional – add extra maple syrup or honey for extra sweetness.
How to Toast Walnuts
If you haven’t toasted walnuts before, it’s super simple! Start by preheating your oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat for easy clean up. Spread raw walnuts on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 350ºF for about 8 minutes. Keep an eye on them and toss as needed! They’re done when they are golden brown and fragrant.
How to Make Overnight Oats
STEP 1: Add your mashed banana, rolled oats, chia seeds and toasted walnuts to an airtight container. I like using a mason jar!
STEP 2: Top the mixture with almond milk, maple syrup and extra sweetener if using. Stir to combine.
STEP 3: Put the lid securely on the container and give it a good shake to make sure everything is well combined. Place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.
STEP 4: When you’re ready to enjoy, you can add a little almond milk to thin it out (if desired), top with sliced bananas and walnuts and enjoy!Print
Banana Nut Overnight Oats
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 hours
- Total Time: 6 hours
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: No-Bake
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 large, ripe banana, mashed
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted*
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (+ more for adding in morning)
- optional: added maple syrup or honey for extra sweetness**
- To an airtight container or mason jar add your mashed banana, rolled oats, chia seeds and toasted walnuts.
- Top with almond milk, maple syrup + added sweetener (if using) and stir.
- Close top and give it a good shake to ensure everything is well-mixed.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- In the morning add additional almond milk to thin out (if desired) and top with additional sliced banana and chopped walnuts.
*I highly recommend toasting your walnuts for added flavor. I toast mine in the oven at 350 for around 8 minutes
**whether or not you add this will depend on your tastebuds and how ripe your banana is.
Like this post? Here are more overnight oat recipes to try:
- Peaches and Cream Overnight Oats
- Mocha Overnight Oats
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Overnight Oats
- Chocolate Almond Butter Overnight Oats
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!
Alysia at Slim SanityFebruary 10, 2016 at 10:04 am
This is actually my favorite way to make them! I have been wanting to reshoot my overnight oats pictures because they were back in the iPhone + fluorescent light days…enough said. 🙂 Overnight oats >>>>> any other kind!
Happy BDay month to THM! *insert balloons and cake emojis*
Davida KugelmassFebruary 10, 2016 at 12:25 pm
hahahahah yup! Serious throwback to those days. They kind of make me cringe but I also love seeing the progress and how far I’ve come!
Amanda | The Cinnamon ScrollsFebruary 10, 2016 at 1:03 am
I adore overnight oats! I discovered them when I was travelling through Australia, but over there it’s known as bircher muesli. This Banana Nut version looks great! You’ve inspired me to make some for breakfast tomorrow! 🙂
Davida KugelmassFebruary 10, 2016 at 8:42 am
I also love bircher muesli! I find the texture to be slightly different between the two (Overnight oats are a bit thicker) but both taste amazing 🙂
BitaFebruary 9, 2016 at 8:42 pm
Thanks Davida! 😉
BitaFebruary 9, 2016 at 8:06 pm
Hey Maven – this looks super good. Totes going to try this next time I have some ba nay nays in the house! thanks for sharing ? Bita
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 8:40 pm
Hope you enjoy Bita! Thanks 🙂 – Davida
Bethany @ Athletic AvocadoFebruary 9, 2016 at 5:29 pm
You can never go wrong with basic but delicious oatmeal recipes, especially if it includes bananas and nuts!
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 6:24 pm
agreed! I’m glad I went with my intuition on this one 😉
Dani @ Dani California CooksFebruary 9, 2016 at 2:30 pm
This exact recipe was my go-to when i first started liking oatmeal and overnight oats!
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 4:17 pm
I like to consider this the OG overnight oats recipe 😉
Fit Foodie LeeFebruary 9, 2016 at 11:46 am
Yup times a 1000000. I could eat OO for every single meal of the day…with a few balls thrown in there.
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 1:30 pm
I’ve always admired your varied and wide-ranged diet!
Ashley @ Fit Mitten KitchenFebruary 9, 2016 at 9:58 am
Okay, you’ve got me feeling WAY TOO MANY feels for a Tuesday morning. And I’m about to go into an all day meeting so I’m gonna go grab some tissues now, K THANKS. Bye.
p.s. <3 <3 <3
p.p.s never stop with the banana. BANANA IS NEVER BASIC.
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 1:32 pm
So many feels. Also thank you for making me feel better about banana! You’re right…it will never be pumpkin spice 😉
PollyFebruary 9, 2016 at 9:39 am
Yum! These overnight oats look delicious! I have all the ingredients to make it so I will definitely give it a try!
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 6:25 pm
Wonderful! I hope you enjoy it, Polly 🙂
Em @ Love A LatteFebruary 9, 2016 at 9:14 am
I will be making this tonight, hopefully! I need a new breakfast. I go through phases with overnight oats, but it has been a while so I’m ready again. I definitely get sentimental about the past. These days I just try to live in the moment and soak it all up. Easier said than done since time flies!
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 9:31 am
Agreed! Everything feels like yesterday and 10 years ago all at the same time!
Kelly @ Eat the GainsFebruary 9, 2016 at 7:43 am
I love me some overnight oats! I was on a kick for about 2 months since I have to be at work at 5:15am some days. This month is my blog’s one year! I need to check what day, but yay for celebrating. I need to think of something good to post 🙂
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 9:31 am
Maybe it’s Feb 24?! We’d be birthday twins!
VictoriaFebruary 9, 2016 at 6:48 am
“Gateway drug to healthy foods”- you are too funny! But for reals…overnight oats was one of my first introductory meals into a new whole foods lifestyle! This post was great, and well timed- I just started my blog yesterday and reading about your story gave me goosebumps!
Davida KugelmassFebruary 9, 2016 at 7:28 am
eeeeee CONGRATS! It looks amazing Victoria!!!