And so begins day 1 of the The Great Valentine’s Day Bake-Off! I figured I would start it off with chocolate and end with chocolate. Although the finale recipe is TBD. Any suggestions are welcome!
I’m pretty stoked about these cookies a) because I’ve had chocolate-cherry on my mind ever since that beautiful disaster and b) because it meant I could fill my cookie jar in my new home!
This is not just any cookie jar. This cookie jar is made from blood, sweat and tears aka 3 hours of gruesome painting at Ceramic Cafe. C and I went there for Valentine’s Day last year set on proving we can spend V-Day doing something other than a Netflix marathon. Which for the record we are damn good at.
The product of this exciting excursion? Our gorgeous owl cookie jar named Louman.
Louman seems like an odd name for a cookie jar (that is if you’re past the fact that we named our cookie jar) but there really is a whole lot of meaning behind the name.
When C and I were living in NYC we had a doorman from Columbia/Portugal/Croatia -we still have no clue- named Louman who used to share words of wisdom with us as we would walk in and out of our apartment. In particular I appreciated him telling C everyday to treat me like his princess. So when deciding what to name our (wise) owl, Louman just seemed like the perfect fit.
Unfortunately he’s been sitting in a box since last year so it was fun to be able to fill him for the first time. I have a feeling Louman (the real one) will randomly appear in my life with his squinty smile and reminder to live life to the fullest, but in the meantime I’ll keep filling his replacement with cookies 🙂Print
Double Chocolate Cherry Cookies
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 27 mins
- Yield: 2 dozen 1x
- 1 flax egg (1 T ground flaxseed mixed with 3 T warm water)
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 T coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life Brand)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make flax egg and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Combine applesauce, coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla. Stir in flax egg.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and stir to combine.
- Add in dried cherries and chocolate chips.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of batter onto a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet (12 scoops per sheet).
- Bake for 11-12 minutes.
- Let cool for 2 mins on baking sheet before removing and letting cool completely on a wire rack.
- Will keep up to 5 days on counter in an airtight container.
Do you have a prized possession with more meaning than meets the eye? What’s your ideal date? An activity or a low-key night in?
*Don’t forget, you have all week to post your VDay treat submission! The link-up will open this Friday February 14th.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!