A comforting bowl of Hearty Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup can warm up your body and soul through the fall and winter months. The perfect healthy soup recipe!
You know when you’re overheard talking about something and you realize that out of context you probably sound completely crazy? This happens to me all the time! Or maybe I’m just actually crazy…uhhhhh.
Anyway, the other day I was walking with my friend Tals when we were overheard/checked-out by a group of guys. They were unfortunately exposed to my little rant about the seasons changing and overheard me say something along the lines of “Fall makes me sooooo introspective”.
Now, if you’ve heard my voice you know that anytime I try to say something even the tiniest bit profound it just sounds dumb because like most females out there I am a victim of the “Vocal Fry“.
Despite how I may have sounded, there was a lot of truth in my statement. For whatever reason, the leaves changing and the cooler temps cause me to get really into my head. I find myself walking quite a bit in the Fall and perhaps the sudden drop in temps and the colourful leaves make me realize how quickly time can pass.
I spend quite a bit of time reliving the past but also dreaming up the future. When I think back on how much has changed in the past 5 years, it makes me excited/nervous about what the next 5 years will entail.
Despite how many has changed, one thing has remained a constant through each Fall, soup. I know this sounds like a terrible segue, but it really is true. Some version of soup was always in my house growing up. My Mom is the master of soups and has made just about every variety under the sun.
It’s all about loading it up with protein and veggies and pouring yourself a huge bowl of it. I’m telling you, a big bowl of this Hearty Lentil and Swiss Chard Soup will absolutely cure your post-summer depression. It’s worked for me so far…Print
Hearty Lentil & Swiss Chard Soup
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 cups red split lentils (uncooked)
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 large sweet potato (about 4 cups), chopped
- 1/2 head of Swiss chard, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Heat up a large pot over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Add in carrots, celery and onion and cook for 5 mins.
- Add in lentils, vegetable broth and spices and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 20 mins.
- Add in sweet potato, cover and cook for another 20 mins.
- Add swiss chard and red wine vinegar and cook for 5 more mins.
- Serve warm. Will keep for up to 1 week in refrigerator. Freezes well.
- Serving Size: 8
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 10,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!