bars breakfast gluten-free snacks vegan

Peanut Butter Granola Bars [Vegan]

January 20, 2016

Snacking made easy with these Peanut Butter Granola Bars! Just 6 ingredients is all you need to have a healthy and delicious snack for your busy lifestyle. They’re gluten-free and vegan too!

Snacking made easy with these Peanut Butter Granola Bars! Just 6 ingredients is all you need to have a healthy and delicious snack for your busy lifestyle. They're gluten-free and vegan too!

I am all about ease these days. Yes meals (and snacks) have to be delicious but most importantly they have to be quick and easy!

These granola bars are the perfect quick and easy snack to whip up so you have healthy snacks all week long. They’re made with just a few key ingredients that you likely already have in your pantry!

Here’s What You Need

• oat flour – make your own by grinding rolled oats in a food processor or buy pre-ground oat flour. Make sure you grab gluten-free if needed.
  • rolled oats – again, grab gluten-free oats if needed!
  • sea salt – to bring all of the flavors together.
  • ground flax – helps bind the bars together and adds healthy fat and fiber.
  • peanut butter – use smooth, natural peanut butter. Ideally the only ingredient is peanuts!
  • pure maple syrup – the perfect natural sweetener for these granola bars.
  • water – as needed to get the batter to the right consistency.
  • chocolate chips – optional but I love the combination of peanut butter and chocolate! I recommend using Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips.

How to Make Peanut Butter Granola Bars

STEP 1: In a large bowl, mix the oat flour, rolled oats, sea salt and ground flax.

STEP 2: Top with peanut butter and maple syrup and stir to combine. The batter should be sticky but not wet – add water as needed to get the right consistency.

STEP 3: Add in the chocolate chips if using.

STEP 4: Line an 8 x 8 baking pan with parchment paper or grease with coconut oil. Spread the batter in the pan using wet hands. Pack the batter in tightly and try to make the top as flat as possible.

STEP 5: Bake at 350ºF for 18-20 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. Let sit for 20 minutes before removing from the pan and cutting into 12 bars.

How to Store Leftover Granola Bars

These bars store really well! Allow them to cool completely and then store in an airtight container. They will last up to 4 days on the countertop or can be frozen for several months for longer storage.

Peanut Butter Granola Bars

• Prep Time: 10 mins
  • Cook Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 30 mins
  • Yield: 12 bars 1x

Scale
  • 1 cup oat flour (ground rolled oats)*
  • 1 cup rolled oats*
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 2 T ground flax
  • 1/2 cup natural, smooth peanut butter
  • 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 12 T water (as needed)
  • optional: 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips)

*Use gluten-free if necessary

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Line an 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment or spray/grease with coconut oil.
  3. In a large bowl add the oat flour, rolled oats, sea salt and ground flax.
  4. Top with peanut butter and maple syrup.
  5. The batter should be slightly sticky, but not wet. Add water as needed to get to right consistency (see video for tips!).
  6. Add in chocolate chips, if using.
  7. Spread out batter in baking pan using wet hands. Pack in tightly and ensure top is flat.
  8. Bake for 18-20 mins or until edges are slightly brown.
  9. Let sit for 20 minutes before removing from pan and cutting in 12 bars.
  10. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days on countertop or freeze for several months.

Like this post? Here are more recipes you might enjoy:

Lizzie James
    December 23, 2016 at 9:27 pm

I made these and absolutely love them but do you know the macros for these?

Kat
    August 24, 2016 at 5:32 am

What the carb sugar and cal

Anthony
    March 16, 2016 at 12:31 am

This is so delicious and not really hard to make, my boy loves peanut butter so much and I will try to make this for his breakfast. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe!

Erin Kurt
    February 3, 2016 at 7:55 am

Hi Davida! I made these today and I am in LOVE! Perfect combo. I was wondering how thick your granola bars were as my batter didn’t even fit the whole 8 x 8 pan – tips?

February 3, 2016 at 8:24 am

So happy you enjoyed them! Mine are about the same size or maybe a tiny bit thicker than standard granola bars you find in the store. I’ve never had mine overflow but perhaps your pan isn’t as thick and that’s why? Glad they turned out and you enjoyed them!

Jenn
    January 27, 2016 at 10:21 am

I made these over the weekend and they turned out great! I cut them into smaller squares to stash for a quick snack. Also great before a workout. Good recipe! Will be making again!

Patricia @Sweet and Strong
    January 21, 2016 at 6:50 am

It can definitely be difficult to balance all of your roles and give up some control. But that’s so amazing you found someone you trust and work well with. I’m very similar when it comes to house chores and cooking, I would rather do it all, but sometimes I’m so exhausted I need to ask my husband for help.

The Healthy Maven
      January 22, 2016 at 3:03 pm

I’m like that with the BF. I feel like I hold it in and try to do it all myself and then I explode! I need to get better at asking him for help 🙂

Les @ The Balanced Berry
    January 21, 2016 at 1:43 am

I totally understand where you’re coming from. It is definitely challenging to have so many roles and to want to do well at all of them! I wouldn’t don’t necessarily have advice since it is something I struggle with too, but kudos for stepping outside your comfort zone and letting in help!

And GIRL. These bars have all of my favorite foods in them. They are speaking to my soul.

Lauren
    January 20, 2016 at 11:05 pm

I love your videos and that wonderful rendition of genie in a bottle 😉
    I think you would be a lot of fun to hang around with in real life!
    Man I wish I could eat oats right now… Hopefully when my guts singing I can get those bad boys back in my life!
    And YES to struggling with all the roles, just gotta keep doing our best. And as for delegating… Let it goooo, let it gooooo! You will be able to pick the right people to work for you so trust that they will know you and what you would want/do 🙂

The Healthy Maven
      January 21, 2016 at 8:51 am

Jess has actually sung a great Elsa impression for me when I can’t let things go haha. She’s quite the lady! Also yes to hanging out in real life! We’ll make it happen one day 🙂

GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth
    January 20, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I totally hear you, girl. I’m still in the process of getting my second blog up and running and I finally had to let go of wanting to do everything myself and hire a logo designer. I know that if I want to make everything I have going on actually work, I’m going ot need to outsource a lot of the ‘busy’ work or at least get better at organization. But it’s still a work in progress.

p.s. this bars look bomb and I’ll be trying them soon!

January 20, 2016 at 11:46 am

I absolutely love this idea! Granola bars used to be my favorite treat, and I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate chips! 😀

Bethany @ Athletic Avocado
    January 20, 2016 at 8:57 am

Woah you got a lot on your plate girl! Thank God you have great granola bar making skills and can whip up a batch in an instinct to help you relax a little bit! Those Peanut Butter granola bars are perfection !

The Healthy Maven
      January 20, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Thanks, lovely! It is a lot but fortunately I love it all. Having too much to do because you love it certainly isn’t the worst problem to have 😉

Mimi Woods
        July 5, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I loved this recipe. I was thinking of adding some hemp protein powder for added protein for my little one since he loves these. How would I deviate the recipe, you think? Add more water?

July 7, 2016 at 4:33 pm

I would substitute some of the oat flour with hemp protein and you’ll need to adjust the water. Let me know how it turns out!

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    January 20, 2016 at 7:11 am

Totally know the feeling of not wanting to let go of responsibilities! Just gotta make sure to find someone you trust, then it’ll be much less stressful 🙂

She Rocks Fitness
      January 20, 2016 at 9:16 am

100% agree with Alysia…It is so hard to do, but I believe it is all about finding someone who you TRUST! But then again, finding someone you trust though is hard too. Gosh that wasn’t really helpful advice! On a side note, this recipe would be AMAZING with some Nuttzo! XOXO

The Healthy Maven
        January 20, 2016 at 2:38 pm

OMG yes it would be! Can you believe I still haven’t tried Nutzo?! I need to change that! Also I ditto everything you and Alysia said. It’s hard to find someone you trust. So lucky to have found Jess who I literally trust with my life 🙂

1 2