All you need are two ingredients (apples and cinnamon) and your slow cooker to make this super easy and sugar-free slow cooker applesauce recipe! Perfect for Fall snacking or to use in baked goods! You’ll only want homemade applesauce from here on out.
I’ll never forget my first kitchen gadget. My Mom bought me a slow cooker while I was living in NYC and it literally changed my life. Suddenly I could cook food while I was at work and make all of the slow cooker recipes I was seeing over on my favorite blogs. I pretty much haven’t stopped using it since it was gifted to me.
This post is pretty much a testament to the fact that there is almost nothing you can’t make in a slow cooker. It’s a powerhouse tool that I can say with certainty is a worthy investment. If you don’t have one, this slow cooker apple sauce will convince you to buy one.
Why Make Applesauce in the Slow Cooker?
1) It’s as hands-off as you want it to be – If you just want to chop the apples into slices and then throw them in the slow cooker, skins on and everything you can do that. If you like it chunky, no need to blend! So basically all you really need is a slow cooker and some apples.
2) It’s highly customizable – I like cinnamon because life deserves to be coated in cinnamon but I love a good dash of nutmeg too. You could get a bit crazy and throw some apple pie spice in there are some maple syrup for a maple-flavor. Dream big, my friends!
How to Make Slow Cooker Applesauce
This recipe couldn’t be easier! First things first, get some fresh, crispy fall apples!
STEP 1: Add your apples to your slow cooker or crockpot. Optional: peel apples – if you leave the skins on (like I do) then you’ll need to blend at the end. Add your water and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg or cloves, if desired) to the slow cooker or crockpot and stir.
STEP 2: Cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low. If skins are on use a blender or immersion blender to blend smooth or desired consistency. Taste to see if it needs more spices.
How to Store Slow Cooker Applesauce
In fridge – store in an airtight container or mason jar for 5-7 days.
In freezer – you can also freeze this slow cooker applesauce in mason jars. It will keep in the freezer for up to 4 months. Just thaw overnight in the fridge.
What Are the Best Apples for Homemade Applesauce?
There are so many types of apples out there but I find these apples to be the best in slow cooker applesauce:
- Golden Delicious
- Red delicious
You could opt for something like granny smiths but they’re on the sour side so you may need to add some type of sweetener such as brown sugar.Print
Slow Cooker Applesauce
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- 9 medium apples (I used McIntosh), peeled if desired, and chopped*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- optional: pinch of nutmeg or other spices
- Add all ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
- If you prefer your applesauce chunky, leave as is and store in the refrigerator.
- If you left skins on or prefer smooth applesauce, blend with an immersion blender or regular blender in batches.
*I like keeping the skins on for added fiber and nutrition but typically blend them in at the end. If you don’t have a blender, I’d recommend peeling the apples.
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 20,000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!