An easy fall breakfast recipe for Apple Pecan Hemp Hearts Granola. Packed-full of healthy ingredients like whole-grain rolled oats, pecans and Hemp Hearts this granola will keep you full all morning long!
Moments where I find myself explaining how to pronounce quinoa (particularly with my Father…), defending nutritional yeast as a cheese supplement and the necessities of having a pantry stocked full of every seed under the sun.
The latter generally spurs a conversation regarding the difference between hemp, chia and flaxseeds to a point where people think I majored in the topic in college.
Clearly, I’m VERY passionate about seeds.
I think it surprises people how much I know about this stuff about as much as it surprises me how little most people know about this healthy-foodie world. Neither is better than the other, I’m just so ingrained that I basically have zero perspective.
What do you mean you don’t have a lifetime supply of Hemp Hearts on hand at all times?!
It’s true though, my pantry is stocked with enough ingredients to top a life-sized smoothie bowl. It’s one of my proudest accomplishments.
So when Manitoba Harvest reached out about collaborating using their Hemp Hearts, let’s just say that I was already fully prepared.
Seeing as I majored in seeds (okay fine, I majored in psychology…same idea), I frequently find myself explaining the value and health benefits of Hemp Hearts. Yes my friends, they are a member of the cannabis family and no you cannot get a psychoactive effect from eating them. Sorry.
What you can get are some pretty awesome health benefits. They’re super high in protein (2 tablespoons has about 10 grams of protein!), a good source of omega-3s and 6s as well as a low-carb alternative to other seeds (source). It’s a powerhouse seed that everyone could benefit from.
But sometimes I feel bad for Hemp Hearts. I feel like they’re often overshadowed by the more commonly known flax or the always trendy chia. All three are amazingly beneficial for your body but let’s not favour one over the other, a’ight?!
If you’re new to the world of Hemp Hearts, try out this Apple Pecan Hemp Hearts Granola! It’s the perfect way to introduce hemp to your diet and also up the protein from your usual granola. And it’s amazing. Need I say more?
Serves: about 5 cups
Serving size: 1/2 cup
- 3 cups rolled oats (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg white, whipped (optional)*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried apple rings, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine rolled oats, pecans, Hemp Hearts and cinnamon.
- Top with coconut oil, applesauce, honey, vanilla extract and egg white. Stir until oat mixture is well coated.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment or a silicone mat.
- Spread out granola on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 mins.
- Remove from oven and flip granola as well as you can.
- Place back into oven and bake for another 15-20 mins.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely. Don’t remove from pan until completely cool.
- Once cool add in dried apple rings.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Lucky for you, Manitoba Harvest has generously offered to give one lucky THM reader a chance to win an awesome Hemp Hearts prize-pack! One reader will win one bag of Hemp Hearts and one bag of Hemp Hearts bites. This contest is open to NORTH AMERICAN residents and will run until Friday September 4th at 11:59 PM EST. Enter using the widget below. Good luck!
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Manitoba Harvest. All opinions expressed and creative control were entirely my own. Thank you for supporting the awesome brands that help me bring you more delicious recipes!
Do you ever find you know too much about this healthy-foodie world? Are you a Hemp Heart fan?
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!