dinner Fall gluten-free lunch soup

One-Pot Beef Chili

October 19, 2014

C would like you all to know that he thinks the name of this recipe should be “meaty goodness”. I considered it for half a second but then realized it doesn’t quite capture the whole 3-bean part and Google would likely end up burying it in it’s SEO black hole.

No need to dirty all of your dishes with this no-fuss One-Pot Beef Chili Recipe. For added flavor this recipe also uses 3 different types of beans! A simple, one-pot meal for the whole family to enjoy.I suspect he preferred this name because the meat in this chili really is that good. Actually, all the meat we eat in our home is that good thanks to my incessant need to buy quality meat.

I have a strong curiosity in other people’s grocery habits. I love learning about where people grocery shop, their priorities in grocery budgeting and what foods they insist on buying organic/local/non-GMO etc..I’ve come to learn that everyone has their own style.

Some people love their CSAs while other people prefer the selection of the grocery store. Some prefer buying everything organic while others stick to the dirty dozen. Or if you’re like me you are completely inefficient and do your food shopping in 10 different places. Okay, more like 3.

One-Pot Beef and Three Bean Chili - no need to dirty all of your dishes with this no-fuss chili recipes. Packed full of flavor and protein from the beef and beans!I try to buy most of my produce (organic and local) from the farmer’s markets around me (when it isn’t the dead of winter), supplement with goods from the grocery store and insist on on buying meat from The Healthy Butcher. Thank goodness all 3 are close to me otherwise I would probably spend my life trying to buy groceries.

I am seriously in love with The Healthy Butcher. Not only is their selection of meat and fish amazing, but they are so knowledgable about where their products are coming from. I also love that they ask me how I plan to cook things and will give me suggestions (thanks for the tip on adding the onion to my Lemon Artichoke Baked Salmon!).

The only downside is that the meat is more expensive, but that’s the price you pay for quality. And quality it is. Myself and C agree that you really can taste how much better the meat is when we buy it from there.

One-Pot Beef and Three Bean Chili - no need to dirty all of your dishes with this no-fuss chili recipes. Packed full of flavor and protein from the beef and beans!Do we eat perfectly organic and local all the time? No. It’s just not feasible with our time and budget (maybe one day!). So for now we pick and choose where to spend our funds. Paying more for good quality meat is at the top of our priority list.

One-Pot Beef Chili

Cook Time 30 mins
Serves 8     adjust servings

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned (About 5 mins).
  2. Add in onions and cook for 2 more minutes.
  3. Add in peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
  4. Add spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock and beans and bring mix to a boil.
  5. Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.

No need to dirty all of your dishes with this no-fuss One-Pot Beef Chili Recipe. For added flavor this recipe also uses 3 different types of beans! A simple, one-pot meal for the whole family to enjoy.How do you prioritize your grocery shopping? Do you shop at multiple places?

Em Todd @ CFGF
    October 19, 2014 at 8:53 am

Just to save time, I do 90% of my grocery shopping at the one-stop-shop giant grocery store a mile from my apartment. But I am with you on the meats – I do have a favorite butcher that makes THE BEST sausages. If they had more open hours (doesn’t everybody grocery shop on Sundays!?), I would go there way more often.

Chili looks awesome. Glad C likes it. My CFBF thinks soups are stupid. HA.
    Em Todd @ CFGF recently posted…25TH BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS

October 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm

ugh that’s super annoying! After living in NYC I got used to things being open at all hours of the day so when they’re not in Toronto I go on a rant about how NYC is the only city that has it figured out…then I quickly remember that I chose to leave and never want to live there again LOL (mainly for the price of the groceries…okay not really, but kind of)

Lee
    October 19, 2014 at 9:10 am

If we let B and C name all of our pots good would totally hate us. I’m totally like you and go to 10 diif grocery stores. #gottagetthebestprice
    Lee recently posted…Caprese Stuffed Chicken Breasts

October 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm

God would hate me even more for the hashtag I almost just wrote…

October 19, 2014 at 8:41 pm

No, I don’t shop at multiple places – I’m lucky when we don’t run out of milk (speaking of I better make sure we have some for breakfast!!).
    This chili looks good and like something that would satisfy all of my boys!
    Kim recently posted…Almost Skipped a Day (10/12 – 10/18)

October 20, 2014 at 3:04 am

omg you that just an epic picture…the avocado. I have no words. I ninja’d my mum’s chilli recipe and bastardised it and by bastardise it means give it a meat : legume ratio of like 10 : 1.

I have no method to grocery shopping. I wonder if you’d bump into peepz at the healthy butcher
    Arman @ thebigmansworld recently posted…Hazelnut Espresso Granola

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    October 20, 2014 at 5:58 am

I do shop at certain stores for certain things – fruit and veggies from my local supermarket (focusing on seasonal and local), eggs and other staple goods like almond milk and dried fruit and nuts from costco. Meat and fish we get from Whole Foods and some from Costco too as they have grass fed beef, lamb and free range chicken! 🙂
    Jen @ Chase the Red Grape recently posted…Thinking Out Loud!

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    October 20, 2014 at 7:46 am

My family doesn’t worry about organic too often, but we buy local when possible. When it comes to meats, we buy from Costco a lot, which can scream inorganic/mass produced. It’s not ideal, but at least we’re aware of this. Costco does still sell lots of great organic products which we love to buy too! Once I start making more money of my own, I can pick and choose more discriminately. 😉
    Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves recently posted…Notes on College {Chapter 3}

October 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

I’m all over the place too. I buy my veggies/fruit at the farmers market when it’s running, health foods at Goodness Me, and regular grocery items at an independent Italian grocery store by my house. I also get my meat there because they have a butcher counter with great quality stuff (although not necessarily organic).
    Chelsea @ Chelsea’s Healthy Kitchen recently posted…Are “healthy choices” on restaurant menus actually healthy?

October 20, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I NEED goodness me! On that note, see you Friday 🙂

October 21, 2014 at 5:56 am

When you don’t eat meat, it removes an entire grocery store from the list. See: easy-peasy. Actually, I get my ground beef (the Hubby is still a carnivore) through our CSA. It actually turns out to be less than the organic meat at the store and better quality. Winning.

Most of my produce comes from the CSA as you already know, and I supplement a lot of stuff from Nature’s Bin, my mom and pop health food store and even Costco, the giant mammoth store. Hey, Costco has a great deal on organic butter and almond milk. It’s good for budget which is something I actually watch now that I’m the sole bread winner.

October 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Davida, was the beef grass fed? I’m sorry, grass fed beef only.

I go to like 10 different stores. There is a really nice/expensive looking meat store a few blocks from my new apartment. When Joe and I were figuring out my monthly budget we said $500 for groceries, even though I’m only one little person I have to have quality everything.
    Cassie recently posted…Slow Cooker Banana Chai Steel Cut Oatmeal

stream live,Internet at 1080 720 hd
    October 23, 2014 at 1:46 am

Here at Uk Smartbox we bring you the best fully loaded Android Set top Tv box.Our Quad core T8 box blows away all competition with Unbeatable low prices.

Melissa @ Mango About Town
    October 24, 2014 at 10:37 am

Where you buy groceries is totally important and I think it really depends on which country you live in too. If I have to buy at the grocery store I always like to look for local produce/products (local within Canada at least) other wise we shop at the farmers market. It’s too bad winter is approaching, it’s going to change my whole grocery shopping game!!
    Melissa @ Mango About Town recently posted…Friday Favourites + Weekly Reads

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    November 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Just made this for my carnivorous boyf!! It was kind of monumental since it was my first time cooking ground beef…I’m such a good house wife.
    Alexis @ Hummusapien recently posted…Landing My Dream Job

5 Ways to Use Canned Tomatoes | Mango About Town
    November 9, 2014 at 11:28 am

[…] One-Pot Beef and 3-Bean Chilli […]

Baked Chili Shakshuka - The Healthy Maven
    February 2, 2015 at 9:19 am

[…] today’s post is a slight cop-out. I took Sunday’s One-Pot Beef and 3-Bean Chili, cracked some eggs on it and baked it. With optional cheese, which on this very day was not […]

25 Easy and Healthy Lunch Recipes - The Healthy Maven
    February 6, 2015 at 5:01 am

[…] One-Pot Beef and 3-Bean Chili from The Healthy […]

Cheryl
    July 18, 2016 at 1:36 am

Thanks for the recipe! I made a few adjustments but really appreciate the starting point