dinner Fall gluten-free lunch soup

One-Pot Beef Chili

October 19, 2020

No need to dirty all of your dishes with this no-fuss One-Pot Beef Chili Recipe. For added flavor this recipe also uses 3 different types of beans! A simple, one-pot meal for the whole family to enjoy.

As you probably know, I’m a big fan of soups and chilis. Make a full meal in one pot and then have healthy meals all week long! This chili is packed with protein, fiber and flavor and is sure to be a family favorite.

If you don’t eat beef, try my Sweet Potato Turkey Chili or try my Vegetarian Quinoa Chili if you’re looking for a vegetarian chili. Clearly I’m a chili fan and can’t get enough!

Here’s What You Need

• olive oil – to sauté the beef and vegetables in. Avocado oil works as well.
  • ground beef – I recommend using high quality ground beef! Turkey works as well if you don’t want to use beef.
  • onion and garlic cloves – adds the perfect savory flavor base to this chili!
  • bell peppers – any color of bell pepper works!
  • jalapeño – to add a little spice. Remove the seeds if you don’t want a super spicy chili.
  • diced tomatoes – I used canned tomatoes for a shortcut but fresh tomatoes works as well.
  • tomato sauce – look for tomato sauce with no sugar added!
  • stock – beef, chicken or vegetable stock works.
  • canned beans – I did a combination of black beans, red kidney beans and cannellini beans but any combination of beans works!
  • seasoning and spices – chili powder, cumin, oregano, red pepper flakes, sea salt and pepper.

How to Make Chili

STEP 1: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Add the onions and cook for 2 more minutes.

STEP 2: Add in the bell peppers, jalapeño and garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.

STEP 3: Add the spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, stock and beans and bring the mixture to a boil.

STEP 4: Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes or until the desired consistency is reached. The longer you cook it, the thicker the chili will be!

How to Serve Chili

This is a meal on it’s own! I like topping it with:

• fresh avocado slices
  • sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
  • shredded cheddar cheese
  • tortilla chips
  • cornbread
  • fresh cilantro
  • fresh jalapeño slices

Looking for some side dishes to pair it with? Try these recipes:

One-Pot Beef Chili

• Author: Davida Lederle
  • Prep Time: 15 minutes
  • Cook Time: 30 minutes
  • Total Time: 45 minutes
  • Yield: 8 servings 1x
  • Category: Dinner
  • Method: Cook
  • Diet: Gluten Free

Scale

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned (About 5 mins).
  2. Add in onions and cook for 2 more minutes.
  3. Add in peppers, jalapeno and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
  4. Add spices, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock and beans and bring mix to a boil.
  5. Once boiling lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 30-40 minutes or until desired consistency is reached.

Keywords: beef chili, 3-bean chili, one-pot chili, classic chili

Like this post? Here are more soup recipes you might enjoy:

Alexis @ Hummusapien
    November 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Just made this for my carnivorous boyf!! It was kind of monumental since it was my first time cooking ground beef…I’m such a good house wife.

Melissa @ Mango About Town
    October 24, 2014 at 10:37 am

Where you buy groceries is totally important and I think it really depends on which country you live in too. If I have to buy at the grocery store I always like to look for local produce/products (local within Canada at least) other wise we shop at the farmers market. It’s too bad winter is approaching, it’s going to change my whole grocery shopping game!!

stream live,Internet at 1080 720 hd
    October 23, 2014 at 1:46 am

Here at Uk Smartbox we bring you the best fully loaded Android Set top Tv box.Our Quad core T8 box blows away all competition with Unbeatable low prices.

October 21, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Davida, was the beef grass fed? I’m sorry, grass fed beef only.

I go to like 10 different stores. There is a really nice/expensive looking meat store a few blocks from my new apartment. When Joe and I were figuring out my monthly budget we said $500 for groceries, even though I’m only one little person I have to have quality everything.

[email protected]
    October 21, 2014 at 5:56 am

When you don’t eat meat, it removes an entire grocery store from the list. See: easy-peasy. Actually, I get my ground beef (the Hubby is still a carnivore) through our CSA. It actually turns out to be less than the organic meat at the store and better quality. Winning.

Most of my produce comes from the CSA as you already know, and I supplement a lot of stuff from Nature’s Bin, my mom and pop health food store and even Costco, the giant mammoth store. Hey, Costco has a great deal on organic butter and almond milk. It’s good for budget which is something I actually watch now that I’m the sole bread winner.

October 20, 2014 at 8:50 am

I’m all over the place too. I buy my veggies/fruit at the farmers market when it’s running, health foods at Goodness Me, and regular grocery items at an independent Italian grocery store by my house. I also get my meat there because they have a butcher counter with great quality stuff (although not necessarily organic).

October 20, 2014 at 4:07 pm

I NEED goodness me! On that note, see you Friday 🙂

Alison @ Daily Moves and Grooves
    October 20, 2014 at 7:46 am

My family doesn’t worry about organic too often, but we buy local when possible. When it comes to meats, we buy from Costco a lot, which can scream inorganic/mass produced. It’s not ideal, but at least we’re aware of this. Costco does still sell lots of great organic products which we love to buy too! Once I start making more money of my own, I can pick and choose more discriminately. 😉

Jen @ Chase the Red Grape
    October 20, 2014 at 5:58 am

I do shop at certain stores for certain things – fruit and veggies from my local supermarket (focusing on seasonal and local), eggs and other staple goods like almond milk and dried fruit and nuts from costco. Meat and fish we get from Whole Foods and some from Costco too as they have grass fed beef, lamb and free range chicken! 🙂

October 20, 2014 at 3:04 am

omg you that just an epic picture…the avocado. I have no words. I ninja’d my mum’s chilli recipe and bastardised it and by bastardise it means give it a meat : legume ratio of like 10 : 1.

I have no method to grocery shopping. I wonder if you’d bump into peepz at the healthy butcher

October 19, 2014 at 8:41 pm

No, I don’t shop at multiple places – I’m lucky when we don’t run out of milk (speaking of I better make sure we have some for breakfast!!).
    This chili looks good and like something that would satisfy all of my boys!

Lee
    October 19, 2014 at 9:10 am

If we let B and C name all of our pots good would totally hate us. I’m totally like you and go to 10 diif grocery stores. #gottagetthebestprice

October 20, 2014 at 4:15 pm

God would hate me even more for the hashtag I almost just wrote…

Em Todd @ CFGF
    October 19, 2014 at 8:53 am

Just to save time, I do 90% of my grocery shopping at the one-stop-shop giant grocery store a mile from my apartment. But I am with you on the meats – I do have a favorite butcher that makes THE BEST sausages. If they had more open hours (doesn’t everybody grocery shop on Sundays!?), I would go there way more often.

Chili looks awesome. Glad C likes it. My CFBF thinks soups are stupid. HA.

October 20, 2014 at 4:17 pm

ugh that’s super annoying! After living in NYC I got used to things being open at all hours of the day so when they’re not in Toronto I go on a rant about how NYC is the only city that has it figured out…then I quickly remember that I chose to leave and never want to live there again LOL (mainly for the price of the groceries…okay not really, but kind of)

1 2