bath and body diy

DIY Holiday In a Jar Series: Gingerbread Body Scrub

November 9, 2015

5 kitchen ingredients is all you need to make this all-natural DIY Gingerbread Body Scrub. It makes the ultimate holiday gift that will keep your friends and family’s skin soft and smooth all winter long.

5 kitchen ingredients is all you need to make this all-natural DIY Gingerbread Body Scrub. It makes the ultimate holiday gift that will keep your friends and family's skin soft and smooth all winter long.DIY Holiday in a Jar? What’s that you say? Yes, I just casually dropped a new series on you featuring your 3 favorite things: DIY, holidays and jars. Don’t pretend you aren’t beyond excited.

But just in case you aren’t totally sold yet, I’m thrilled to announce that this series is brought to you by none other than, Fit Foodie Maven. And by that I mean Lee from Fit Foodie Finds, and yours truly.

After the success of Energy Ball Week, we contemplated a holiday-themed energy ball, but then we realized that was overkill and that we were running a little low on ball jokes, so we opted for our second favorite thing, jars!

5 kitchen ingredients is all you need to make this all-natural DIY Gingerbread Body Scrub. It makes the ultimate holiday gift that will keep your friends and family's skin soft and smooth all winter long.Fun fact! Lee and I toyed with the idea of a mason jar blog before we launched SHEuncovered. That never quite happened for whatever reason, but thankfully Megan has got you covered on that one. We were convinced that everything was better from a jar.

This idea has never escaped us and with the holidays just around the corner we knew this would be the ultimate way to collaborate.

So here’s how it’s going to go: For the next 6 weeks you can expect a new DIY from Lee and I every Monday. Each DIY will fit into a handy-dandy Jar because we all know that mason jars are the gift that just keeps giving. The DIYs will be either food or bath/beauty related and all will be SUPER easy. Our goal is for you guys to save a little $$$ and time, while also being able to give back to your friends and family over the holidays.

The other benefit is that Lee and I will have our gifts finished before December even hits LOL.

5 kitchen ingredients is all you need to make this all-natural DIY Gingerbread Body Scrub. It makes the ultimate holiday gift that will keep your friends and family's skin soft and smooth all winter long.To kick off 6 weeks of gift-giving, I whipped up a gingerbread version of my basic body scrub. You know I’m not down with ingesting refined sugar but I can’t help myself when it comes to using it as an exfoliant. It is my far the most effective and gentle body exfoliant I have ever used.

You can totally use coconut sugar, but I find it to be a bit coarser which my sensitive skin doesn’t love so much. And since we want to be cautious with our family and friend’s skin, we should probably be gentle with them, right?

Besides smelling awesome, ginger and cinnamon are actually super awesome for your skin both as an anti-inflammatory and cinnamon helps to soothe dry skin. So you can smell like a gingerbread cookie and treat your skin at the same time!

I’m pretty stoked to be bringing you guys this series and I hope you and your wallet are equally as excited! I cannot believe the holidays are almost here! Cue running to Starbucks for red cup.

Gingerbread Body Scrub

Cook Time 5 mins

1. Combine brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a large bowl.
  2. Top with coconut oil and molasses and stir to combine. You may need to use your hands to really mix it together (don't worry- it's exfoliating!)
  3. Place contents in mason jar with a secure lid.
  4. Will keep at room temperature for years.

To use:

1. Wet skin and smooth on body scrub.
  2. Use hands to exfoliate skin and remove dead skin cells.
  3. Wash off completely.

Notes

*Recipe can easily be doubled as many times to make as many jars as you'd like.

5 kitchen ingredients is all you need to make this all-natural DIY Gingerbread Body Scrub. It makes the ultimate holiday gift that will keep your friends and family's skin soft and smooth all winter long.Make sure you head over to Fit Foodie Finds to see her DIY Holiday in a Jar recipe! She made Snickerdoodle Chocolate Chip Pancake Mix that I think everyone in their Mom would love to receive for the holidays!

snickerdoodle-chocolate-chip-pancakes-in-a-jar1

Are you excited for our Holiday in a Jar Series? What do you want to see next?

LOVE THESE NATURAL BEAUTY TIPS? Join the THM Community!

Join 5000+ members of the THM Community to get access to exclusive info about natural beauty, products I'm loving and how to transition to a more natural lifestyle.

Kristina
    November 9, 2015 at 7:45 am

This is lovely, I love sugar scrubs, they make the perfect gift. I like the festive spices in this one, sounds great.
    Kristina recently posted…Apple and marzipan galette

November 9, 2015 at 11:15 am

Such a great gift! Can’t go wrong with gingerbread 😉

Shiv
    November 9, 2015 at 9:47 am

This looks lovely. Do you have to use coconut oil or would another oil like olive oil work?
    Shiv recently posted…Meatless Monday: Spaghetti and Veggie “meatballs”

November 9, 2015 at 10:13 am

I’d only recommend coconut oil due to its ability to solidify at room temp but also melt when applied to skin. Sorry!!

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine
    November 9, 2015 at 10:16 am

Well this is how I can get rid of all that brown sugar I don’t use 😉 Perfect!
    Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine recently posted…Purple Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Tahini Parsley Sauce

November 9, 2015 at 11:02 am

Exactly! The only time I have a use for brown sugar 😉

JENNY
    November 9, 2015 at 12:19 pm

This is awesome. Love it, guess what all the females in my family will be getting for Christmas. I am one of 6 sisters and now have 4 nieces. It’ll be great to have one for the males. hint, hint 🙂

November 9, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Noted!!! I’ll get brainstorming. Thanks, Jenny 😉

Megan @ Straight From The Jar
    November 9, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I <3 U
    Megan @ Straight From The Jar recently posted…Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Soup – Dairy-Free!

Courtney
    November 9, 2015 at 4:33 pm

I’m always looking for new sugar scrub recipes– I know what I’ll be making this weekend! I can already tell how gorgeous this smells.

November 9, 2015 at 8:02 pm

you will love it! I mean, who doesn’t want to smell like a cookie?!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    November 9, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I love the idea of gifts in a jar! Plus they get to keep the jar 😀 Gingerbread is my favorite everrrrr so I’m definitely making this for me!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Whole Wheat Vegan Pumpkin Biscuits

November 11, 2015 at 8:04 am

I’m also trying to convert all my storage to jars so I definitely appreciate receiving them!

Stella @ Stellicious Life
    November 10, 2015 at 9:47 am

YAY! I am beyond excited for this new collaboration series of yours! I love jars and love DIY homemade gifts (for the past years I’ve always made plenty of homemade gifts: from soaps and budy scrubs to chutneys and cookies), so I’m curious to see what you have planned for us 🙂

I love the smell of ginger in the cold fall/winter months, it’s just soul-warming 🙂
    Stella @ Stellicious Life recently posted…Roasted Beet Hummus

November 11, 2015 at 8:06 am

Agreed! Who doesn’t want to smell like a cookie? I LOVE homemade soaps! I think I may gift them out this year too 🙂

Emily
    November 14, 2015 at 5:26 pm

Just made this scrub–unbelievable! My hands smell amazing and feel so soft. Already packaged and ready to gift!

Thanks!

November 16, 2015 at 8:10 am

So happy you enjoyed! I used it this weekend too 🙂 I feel like I’m going to go through my gift supply before I’m even able to give them away haha

November 16, 2015 at 11:24 am

I am inclined to eat that scrub….hahaha, it probably smells divine!
    Cassie recently posted…Best Cereal Roundup

Lilly
    October 9, 2016 at 9:19 pm

How long does the scrub keep for?! I’d love to give this for gifts.

Tracy Priest
    December 2, 2016 at 4:19 pm

I’m curious about the molasses – other recipes i’ve looked at do not include molasses. Is there some benefit to using it? Or do you think it would be ok to leave it out?