gluten-free soup soup sunday vegan vegetarian

SOUPER SUNDAY: Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup

January 17, 2016

A healthy vegetarian soup recipe, this mushroom and wild rice soup is the perfect dish to keep on hand for cold winter nights! It’s hearty, filling and packed-full of flavor. Plus it requires just 7 ingredients!

A healthy vegetarian soup recipe, this mushroom and wild rice soup is the perfect dish to keep on hand for cold winter nights! It's hearty, filling and packed-full of flavor. Plus it requires just 7 ingredients!Does anyone else find themselves confusing “eat your vegetables” with “eat your greens”? Sometimes I’ll look down at my plate and feel badly that there isn’t a green vegetable on there. Suddenly, I think I’ve cheated myself in my daily quote of vegetables.

Why do I have a feeling it’s just me who feels this way?

I feel like there’s a lot of emphasis in the health community to “eat your greens”. There is absolutely no doubt that leafy greens (and other green veggies) are amazing for you, but why do we so quickly forget that there are so many other incredibly nutritious veggies out there that don’t look like a small forest?

A healthy vegetarian soup recipe, this mushroom and wild rice soup is the perfect dish to keep on hand for cold winter nights! It's hearty, filling and packed-full of flavor. Plus it requires just 7 ingredients!The other night we had a few friends over for “Latin Night”. I had chips and guac and my homemade pico de gallo. I also made my quinoa tortilla soup and a new recipe for Arroz sin Pollo (aka rice without the chicken). Besides the jalapenos, there wasn’t a single green vegetable on the table (and no…avocados don’t count, they’re a fruit).

I felt badly for my body, but also for my guests. Feeding people vegetables is what I DO. But then I remembered that veggies come in all different colors! There was an abundance of bell peppers, tomatoes galore (technically a fruit…whatever), onion, garlic and even if it gets some flack, there was corn too.

They may not be green, but all of them offer amazing health benefits and certainly help you get in those 5 servings of veggies a day.

A healthy vegetarian soup recipe, this mushroom and wild rice soup is the perfect dish to keep on hand for cold winter nights! It's hearty, filling and packed-full of flavor. Plus it requires just 7 ingredients!I realized I was having the same sentiment about SOUPER SUNDAYS. I think soups are a great way to eat your veggies, but that doesn’t mean that every recipe needs to have kale and spinach and broccoli. Mushrooms may be brown but that doesn’t mean they aren’t as healthful as a bowl full of swiss chard.

Mushrooms are one of the rare vegetable sources of vitamin D and can actually be a substantial source of iron. It also contains selenium, an essential trace mineral important for cognitive function and various immune-boosting antioxidants. Basically, brown is the new green.

So next time you feel like you’re lacking a little green, remember to eat the rest of the rainbow. It certainly can’t hurt!

Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup

PREP TIME 10 mins
Cook Time 45 mins
Serves 6     adjust servings

1. Add olive oil to a large pot on medium-high heat.
  2. Add onions and sauté until translucent (about 5 mins).
  3. Add celery and cook for another minute before adding mushrooms.
  4. Let mushrooms cook for about 10 mins or until they've reduced in size. They will appear as if they are "sweating".
  5. Add vegetable broth, wild rice, thyme, sea salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
  6. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Let simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is fully cooked (time will depend on the type of wild rice you use so you may need a bit longer than this.
  7. Remove top, add vinegar and simmer for another 10 minutes
  8. Serve warm.

A healthy vegetarian soup recipe, this mushroom and wild rice soup is the perfect dish to keep on hand for cold winter nights! It's hearty, filling and packed-full of flavor. Plus it requires just 7 ingredients!Do you find you focus too much on green vegetables? Mushrooms, love em’ or hate em’? Clearly I’m pro-shroom.

She Rocks Fitness
    January 17, 2016 at 9:23 am

LOVE mushrooms and I love the simplicity of this recipe! I feel like mushrooms are one of those things that people either like or dislike…There is no middle ground. I cannot remember the last time that I had mushroom soup…I have so many of your soup recipes saved, I don’t know which one to try first…LOL!
    She Rocks Fitness recently posted…What The Single Woman Buys At Costco Part V

The Healthy Maven
      January 19, 2016 at 8:44 pm

YUP! People either love em or hate em’! I feel the same way about all soup, which is why I started Souper Sundays! Now I get to experiment even more!

Marpy
    January 17, 2016 at 10:41 am

Maybe it’s just my connection, but I can’t tell the ingredients jumbled up with the “href’s”

The Healthy Maven
      January 18, 2016 at 8:56 am

Ah no it’s not you! Apparently my recipe plugin is having some issues on mobile. Hang in there. It should be fixed soon. Thanks so much for your understanding!

January 17, 2016 at 10:59 am

OHOHOHOHO, this looks awesome–delicious, hearty and so comforting!
    Cassie recently posted…A Healthy Foodie’s Guide to L.A.: The Best Indian Restaurants

Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop
    January 17, 2016 at 11:33 am

This is a beautiful looking soup. Looks perfect for a cold snowy day!
    Kathy @ Beyond the Chicken Coop recently posted…Chicken Feed Tote Bags

The Healthy Maven
      January 19, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Exactly! It’s been freezing and snowy here. Winter definitely arrived!

Lindsey Bomgren
    January 17, 2016 at 12:40 pm

Are those Mary’s Gone Crackers I see next to your bowl of deliciousness?! I’m so in love with Mary’s Gone SuperSeed Crackers right now in my lunchtime soups to help warm up these chilly MN days! Thanks for the great recipe!

The Healthy Maven
      January 17, 2016 at 4:42 pm

Always! We’re obsessed with Mary’s Gone Crackers 🙂 I have like 3 different boxes open right now haha

Alysia at Slim Sanity
    January 17, 2016 at 5:33 pm

I feel the same way sometimes about eating vegetables!! Although I eat spinach maybe one meal a day, I’m always eating other veggies, even though it doesn’t feel like it. Ps I think tomatoes count as a veggie too 🙂

The Healthy Maven
      January 19, 2016 at 8:47 pm

okay phew! I’ve never been able to get down with the idea that they’re fruit!

Emilie @ Emilie Eats
    January 17, 2016 at 8:51 pm

This is so true! I’ll find myself feeling guilty sometimes, then I’ll remember the non-green veggies I ate. This soup looks SO delicious!
    Emilie @ Emilie Eats recently posted…Very Berry Beet Smoothie

Lee
    January 17, 2016 at 11:27 pm

Mushrooms are disgusting. 🙂 but any soup made by the mave gets a 5 star rating in my book 👯🙏🏻

amanda
    January 18, 2016 at 12:43 am

Thank you! I love mushrooms. Just wondering when you add the red wine vinegar?

The Healthy Maven
      January 18, 2016 at 8:56 am

Sorry about that! At the very end. Should be fixed in the instructions 🙂

Bharat Sharma
    January 18, 2016 at 6:14 am

I have never tried mushroom or anything made out of mushroom. This looks good and delicious too but then again I doubt how mushroom will taste when you eat them first time. Pictures are mesmiring and asking me to give it a try.

Off topic- Do you have advertisements on images of your blog ? or it is something my browser ( a bad extension) is causing ?
    Bharat Sharma recently posted…24 Reasons To Avoid Drinking Too Much Coffee

The Healthy Maven
      January 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

They sometimes appear on images ; ( I hope they aren’t bothering you!

Also you NEED to try mushrooms! They’re so so delicious!

Bharat Sharma
        January 19, 2016 at 10:35 pm

I will definitely give mushrooms as try and as far as advertisements are conerned. They are not intrusive or bothering. I was just curious to know if these are something that the website owner ( you) have added or work of some malicious scripts. Dealing with dirty stuff ( malware, bad advertisements, adware etc. ) can be very difficult.
        Bharat Sharma recently posted…23 Amazing Health Benefits Of Honey

The Healthy Maven
          January 20, 2016 at 2:41 pm

It’s part of my ad network technology, so they manage it. Not malware, but certainly something to look out for. Thanks for the tip Bharat!

• Bharat Sharma
            January 20, 2016 at 7:13 pm

I found them good and interesting. I have seen such photo advertisements after a long long time and that’s why I got curious and asked you about it. They are not covering the whole picture and appear only at the bottom of images as a small rectangular banner which is great. I’ll suggest to continue using them for additiional revenue ( not at all bad) and if you are still unsure whether to continue with it or not then you can always ask your reades via a short poll and let them decide.

Just my thought.
            Bharat Sharma recently posted…23 Amazing Health Benefits Of Honey

Amanda
    January 18, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Seeing your recipe reminded me how much I love mushrooms (just not raw!) and mushroom soup. Do you ever forget that you love a certain thing or meal and then remember and crave it?! It happens to me all the time!

The Healthy Maven
      January 19, 2016 at 8:46 pm

Like daily! I have crazy associations with food and memories so oftentimes when I get nostalgic I start craving a certain food. Glad to hear I’m not alone!

Marnie
    January 19, 2016 at 4:28 pm

This was amazing! Made it last night. Thank you for the great recipe!

The Healthy Maven
      January 19, 2016 at 8:36 pm

So happy you enjoyed! Super easy too 🙂 A soup staple in our house!

Nicole
    January 24, 2016 at 7:25 pm

I just made this tonight, and OH MY GOSH it was fantastic!!! I definitely love mushrooms more than the average person, but my husband and 2 year old really liked it, too! The flavor was awesome, and I already can’t wait to make it again! I tried to give it 5 stars, but it wouldn’t let me do anything past 3, and the soup definitely deserves all 5 so I just left it blank! Thank you so much for such a wonderful recipe, I can’t wait to try some of your others!

January 24, 2016 at 10:05 pm

Aw so happy to hear it! I’m a huge mushroom fan too so this one definitely tops my list of favorite soups! No worries about the stars. There seems to be an issue with my rating system. I’m looking into it. Thanks so much for stopping by and for leaving a note. I always love hearing from you guys!

Ashley
    September 30, 2016 at 7:10 am

I do the same thing when eating vegetables!! If there’s not enough green I feel like I failed, but I need to remember veggies come in all colors. This looks amazingly delicious. I’m a HUGE fan of mushrooms.

I’m a soup-lover too. My family used to have “Soup Sundays” when I still lived at home, just like you! I’m planning to do a soup recipe round-up in November. Could I include this recipe? I’d just use one photo and of course give you credit and link back to your blog!
    Ashley recently posted…Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice